Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
BKK Bonded Customs Service

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:26 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by transpac
Just a weather heads-up...

Maybe leave some extra time if departing BKK over the nest few days. We had a very, very heavy storm last night, which actually was even worse out toward BKK. Level 1 at the Suvarnabhumi terminal flooded for the first time.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/701184

And many surface roads between town and the airport are hopelessly flooded, traffic has been at a standstill in many spots since last night and the BTS (also packed owing to earthquake tremors yesterday) is swamped. We are supposed to get some more storms for the next few days, and there is no where for the water to go.

The "authorities" have asked the press to stop using the word "flood" and refer to it as "water waiting to be drained".

I was at Suvarnabhumi when the storm hit last night. Luckily we had just arrived at the airport from the city. That was one hell of a downpour. All the lights in the TG lounge went off and on a few times. Our flight was delayed 2 hours so no big deal for us but I would not have wanted to be out in the open.
Hope everyone who works there is safe and well.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12 bottles of premium wine from Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania that are difficult if not impossible to find in the US would have resulted in a considerable tax bill had this service not been available, so it is a relative bargain to pay just over $1/day for this - well worth the time and trouble.

As you say, best to wait and see how things work out.

Wonder where they store your wine? Hopefully someplace with AC, or decent climate control, rather than ambient (up to 35 C) temps.

And how do you get this into the U.S.? Do you have to pay tax, duty? Isn't there some limit on alcohol volumes?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:49 am

Bangkok mayor suspended over graft claims

including allegations that he is engaged to an under-age schoolgirl

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/...-graft-claims/
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Bangkok mayor suspended over graft claims

including allegations that he is engaged to an under-age schoolgirl

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/...-graft-claims/
Yikes, nothing like conflating two separate stories, and insulting a minor royal, all in one sentence.

Yes, the Governor of Bangkok has been "suspended" - whatever that means, using the Junta's all inclusive Article 44.

And yes, the mayor of Ban Phai Municipality near Khon Kaen, has also been sacked using Article 44. This mayor appears to fond of the younger women, and ordering pesky reporters who question his matrimonial intentions with said young women, to be be disrobed.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...ayor-suspended
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:43 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:24 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cyborg

The US situation is really nice these days. I bring in a case or two twice a year and just last month brought in 26 bottles of wine at a cost of over $2000 with only a polite smile and welcome home from customs. You must declare it and offer for inspection, but they assess based on the alcohol content and since wine is somewhere in the mid-teen percentage they would not be collecting much for the cost, time and trouble of paperwork and collection/processing. I asked CBP about this during my Global Entry interview a couple of years ago and they confirmed this policy. I was surprised in the value not impacting the assessment. Only hassle I had was EWR 3 years ago when they had me jumping around to different desks with confused agents in secondary screening who finally reached to a supervisor who explained the policy to the junior officer and sent me on my way. IAD, LAX, SFO, ORD - no problem - I don't fly EWR anymore for a number of reasons anyway.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Interesting and good to know. ^
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Maybe leave some extra time if departing BKK over the nest few days. We had a very, very heavy storm last night, which actually was even worse out toward BKK. Level 1 at the Suvarnabhumi terminal flooded for the first time. ... And many surface roads between town and the airport are hopelessly flooded, traffic has been at a standstill in many spots since last night and the BTS (also packed owing to earthquake tremors yesterday) is swamped. We are supposed to get some more storms for the next few days, and there is no where for the water to go.
I'm in UTH and the rains here last night were quite heavy starting around 1900 or so. The over abundance of water waiting to be drained reached several inches very quickly on a number of main roads in the center of the city; cars driving through this made substantial wakes. Water was well over the tires. Things seem to have dried out this morning, fortunately.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:58 am

Yikes, nothing like conflating two separate stories, and insulting a minor royal, all in one sentence.

The article I quoted kind of merged both incidents. But thanks for alerting the authorities.

I'll post this one without any comment ...

AoT commits to expanding Suvarnabhumi
Three contracts worth B14.9bn signed off

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/1071824

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 28, 2016 at 3:30 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PM Prayut orders clampdown on “zero-coin" tours

BANGKOK, 28 August 2016 — The Prime Minister has ordered a total clampdown on “zero-coin” tours for their adverse impact on Thailand’s tourism industry.

Maj. Gen. Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office, said that after PM Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha had instructed the Tourism Ministry, the Tourist Police and related agencies to join forces to find firm solutions to the problem of “zero-coin” tours, there have been arrests of owners of at least two travel companies involved in such a business practice.

Maj. Gen. Sunsern said that both companies have allegedly brought in travelers but all revenue had been sent back to China through their proxies and they are facing legal action for using Thai I.D. cards in registering their business licenses while being involved in mafia activities.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en...C5908280010006
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:18 pm

Phuket Shuttle

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:23 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:24 am

Let's see who I can insult today ...

Malaysia agrees to sign border fence pact

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asea...der-fence-pact

I wonder if the Trump Organization will be bidding on the contract.

-David
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Let's see who I can insult today ...

Malaysia agrees to sign border fence pact

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asea...der-fence-pact

I wonder if the Trump Organization will be bidding on the contract.

-David
In Hedley Lamarr style:

"Too farang."
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:06 pm

Ital-Thai-Trump?

-David
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Ital-Thai-Trump?

-David
At least it would get built.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.