Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by transpac
Not sure what change this actually represents, or what the effects might be? The hours seem the same but something must be different as they're making a big deal out of it. There is mention of entertainment areas being limited to 9:00 PM to 2:00 AM.
Legally registered entertainment areas will be pared back to midnight?

Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.
It would appear these venues now have 5 hours for sales and will go to only 3.

No wholesale purchasing (10L of more) except during proscribed hours?

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.
The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Not sure what change this actually represents, or what the effects might be? The hours seem the same but something must be different as they're making a big deal out of it. There is mention of entertainment areas being limited to 9:00 PM to 2:00 AM.

Note that there have been proposals to outlaw public (outdoors) consumption.

Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today

23 January 2015

Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/res...s-effect-today
I wonder if local mom and pop neighborhood stores that sell almost all hours of the day will adhere to the new law as well.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Legally registered entertainment areas will be pared back to midnight?

It would appear these venues now have 5 hours for sales and will go to only 3.

No wholesale purchasing (10L of more) except during proscribed hours?
a. All sales will cease at midnight, apparently.

b. I think there's a translation problem since those venues are now open more than five hours a day. I think it means they'll go from 0900-2400 instead of 0900-0200...and "regular" bars/restaurants will be 1100-1400 and 1700-2400. That means entertainment venues can sell 5 hours/day more than "regular" bars/restaurants. Airports are treated differently too.

c. That's how I read it too.

Hard to imagine all of the bars/clubs in Bangkok ceasing alcohol sales at midnight. Guess we'll find out.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
a. All sales will cease at midnight, apparently.

b. I think there's a translation problem since those venues are now open more than five hours a day. I think it means they'll go from 0900-2400 instead of 0900-0200...and "regular" bars/restaurants will be 1100-1400 and 1700-2400. That means entertainment venues can sell 5 hours/day more than "regular" bars/restaurants. Airports are treated differently too.
I can't imagine any value or sanity in entertainment venues, which I would guess refers to nightclubs etc, having a license to serve at 9AM. The article did specify 9PM but there clearly is something amiss.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I can't imagine any value or sanity in entertainment venues, which I would guess refers to nightclubs etc, having a license to serve at 9AM. The article did specify 9PM but there clearly is something amiss.
Go go places, Nana Plaza, etc. There are, sadly, plenty of farang drinking in those beer bars in front of Nana Plaza early in the morning.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:25 pm

Go go places, Nana Plaza, etc. There are, sadly, plenty of farang drinking in those beer bars in front of Nana Plaza early in the morning.
You would think Soi 4 was Jeddah compared to Pattaya !
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:50 pm

Is it just me, or is the Land Of Smiles (LOS) turning into the Land Of Scowls ? At least we can still use the acronym
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Is it just me, or is the Land Of Smiles (LOS) turning into the Land Of Scowls ? At least we can still use the acronym

Land of Schmucks is becoming more apt.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Thumbs up

Land of Schmucks is becoming more apt.
This is why we need a like button.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Government says Yingluck is "free to travel".

Hint, hint, hint.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...el-if-she-asks
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Warning: Suvarnabhumi bag-snatchers
Airport thieves target queuing travellers

Published: 26 Jan 2015 at 05.12

Authorities are on the alert for luggage snatchers at Suvarnabhumi airport following the recent arrest of a Taiwanese man who stole three designer bags from a Japanese traveller while the bags sat on a...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-bag-snatchers
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I browsed through it and there's nothing that restrictive....the draft language mainly describes the establishment of a governing committee and how it's going to function. That's not to say that the committee won't eventually establish some similarly draconian restrictions but that's not in the draft (that I could find.)

If interested, it's published here:

https://thainetizen.org/2015/01/digi...rity-bills-en/
Perhaps my favorite quote on these new bills to date...

"These difficult bills cannot get passed by a normal government. We would like to get them finished during the term of this government. The first batch will be passed in the first round within the next three months," said Surangkana.

Digital economy bills 'must address public concerns'

The Sunday Nation January 25, 2015 1:00 am

Drafters of the digital economy bills have admitted that the draft needs to be revised to better address public concerns before they become laws this year.

The Agency's executive director and chief executive Surangkana Wayuparb said that as the bills were hastily drawn up so that the National Legislative Assembly could pass them before the next election, some points of concern raised by the public, especially regarding the Cyber Security Bill's Article 35 (3), lacked detail about the authority's power.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30252624.html
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Warning: Suvarnabhumi bag-snatchers
Airport thieves target queuing travellers

Published: 26 Jan 2015 at 05.12

Authorities are on the alert for luggage snatchers at Suvarnabhumi airport following the recent arrest of a Taiwanese man who stole three designer bags from a Japanese traveller while the bags sat on a...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-bag-snatchers
This reminded me of these signs that I've only ever seen on Luang Suan…

What's up with those?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad

What's up with those?
There is one near the base of the escalator at the Asok BTS in front of terminal 21. First and only one I've seen so far.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad

What's up with those?
The funny (sad!) thing is the sign is right in front of a police booth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.