Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Does anyone have any views on what the testing regime/entry requirements might look like in April? Do you think the Day 1 and Day 5 test and go scheme will still be in place, or might it be relaxed by then? Eg only day 1 testing?
Your crystal ball is as good as mine…
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:43 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm considering a couple of weeks in Asia at the end of April. I actually want to go to Cambodia, but due to Ł1kish LHR-BKK offers, I want to start and finish in BKK. I know things can change, but how much hassle is it to have a couple of nights at the start and then again at the end of the trip in BK, given the application and testing/hotel etc?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
The pain is just applying for the ThaiPass. The process once you have it is simple although a little costly.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PxC
I'm considering a couple of weeks in Asia at the end of April. I actually want to go to Cambodia, but due to Ł1kish LHR-BKK offers, I want to start and finish in BKK. I know things can change, but how much hassle is it to have a couple of nights at the start and then again at the end of the trip in BK, given the application and testing/hotel etc?
It is no hassle at all, to be honest - the ThailandPass application is pretty straightforward if you have the documentation handy (took me around five minutes to submit last time), and the Test&Go scheme works quite smoothly. As you will see, most people report aircraft to car timings of ~30 mins max. Depending on your arrival time and your hotel, you will be free to go with a negative test result in a matter of hours (my experience is around four hours from taking the test).

By all means, do come and enjoy a few days in Bangkok - it is a different experience nowadays when there are not many tourists here
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PxC
agree with what SKT-DK is saying...pretty simple to apply for Thai Pass
However I would probably only one time enter Thailand and do the other time a transit in BKK (for latter you do not need a Thai Pass)
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
agree with what SKT-DK is saying...pretty simple to apply for Thai Pass
However I would probably only one time enter Thailand and do the other time a transit in BKK (for latter you do not need a Thai Pass)
I would probably do the same if having no special desire to stay in BKK on both outbound and return - all comes down to personal preferences really. Regardless, the process is easy, you woud just have to incur the added cost of the Test&Go twice rather than once (on the outbound)
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:11 am
PxC

Thanks for the replies

is it possible to do it as a transit on seperate tickets? ie LHR-BKK and then a seperate booking to Cambodia
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by PxC
Thanks for the replies

is it possible to do it as a transit on seperate tickets? ie LHR-BKK and then a seperate booking to Cambodia
I do not think it was easy even before Covid unless you can through check your baggage then.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
It is no hassle at all, to be honest - the ThailandPass application is pretty straightforward if you have the documentation handy (took me around five minutes to submit last time), and the Test&Go scheme works quite smoothly. As you will see, most people report aircraft to car timings of ~30 mins max. Depending on your arrival time and your hotel, you will be free to go with a negative test result in a matter of hours (my experience is around four hours from taking the test).

By all means, do come and enjoy a few days in Bangkok - it is a different experience nowadays when there are not many tourists here
[My bolding]. Once you have the documents I agree it's far simpler but it's the hassle, initially, of converting PDFs into JPGs or BMPs. This takes time and effort
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
[My bolding]. Once you have the documents I agree it's far simpler but it's the hassle, initially, of converting PDFs into JPGs or BMPs. This takes time and effort
There is online free software that is instant and that is what I used.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:50 pm
PxC

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I do not think it was easy even before Covid unless you can through check your baggage then.
To put it another way, if I have a flight out of the country within 12-24 hours of arrival, will they still force all the hotel and testing?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:54 pm

Just been told that transfer and transit in BKK can be done with PCR test on not less than 72 hours and full dose and 20,000 usd insurance covering covid expenses. If you go inside then most probably yes.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
There is online free software that is instant and that is what I used.
Which one david?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Which one david?
pdf2png.com

its very easy and free.
estnet and ExpatSomchai like this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:23 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Just got back from BKK. Agree that the need to convert PDF to JPG is a hassle. For some of the items I ended up needing to merge PDFs then take a screenshot of them side by side.

The really infuriating part is the embarrassing lack of any care taken to secure the submitted information.
estnet and ExpatSomchai like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.