Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
... and who said the boys in brown are heartless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetDliME65U
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long-delayed NokScoot set for May launch

After repeated hold-ups, NokScoot, Thailand's second long-haul low-cost carrier, is finally ready to start flying in May. Tickets for scheduled service went on sale online late last week for two initial...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...for-may-launch
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
IMO, all are places to avoid. I suppose most visit them once just to see what they're about. After that, I can't think of a good reason to even get close to them.
Khao San road is great during the World Cup.

Where else in Bangkok can you watch every single game of the World Cup, with crazy, wild home country fans, sitting in the open air restaurants/bars, at any time day or night?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights to Chiang Mai disrupted as smog levels soar in North

The Nation March 17, 2015 1:00 am

HAZY DAYS

THE AMOUNT of tiny dust particles in the upper North rose beyond the safety level again yesterday and poor visibility reportedly prevented at least four flights from landing at Chiang Mai Airport.

Readings of small particulate matter up to 10 microns in diameter (PM10) were very high at Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai at 311 micrograms per cubic metre as of 1pm.

Readings at other towns in the North were: Phayao 271mcg, Chiang Mai 279mcg, Lampang 189mcg, Lamphun 189mcg, Phrae 152mcg, Nan 141mcg and Tak 130mcg. The maximum safety level is set at 120mcg per cubic metre.

An informed source said that from 11am to 1pm, haze reduced visibility at Chiang Mai Airport to only 800 metres, which caused pilots to make a decision on whether to land. At least four decided not to: Thai Airways Flight 102 from Bangkok had to U-turn to Suvarnabhumi Airport; SL 8504 (Lion Air) flew back to Don Mueang; while PG 241 (Bangkok Airways) from Samui and FD3161 (Air Asia) from Phuket landed at Mae Fah Luang Airport in Chiang Rai, which reportedly had its lights turned on to improve visibility.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30256157.html
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just when you're certain things can't get any sillier, the Ministry of Culture (derisively referred to by Thais as "MiniCult") declares that on-line posting of photos of partial breasts violate the Computer Crimes laws and violators will be subject to imprisonment up to five years.

In other news, the Ministry of Culture here turns a blind eye towards repeated fictionalized rape on TV dramas, and gun violence, but 'blurs' any sort of cigarette/pipe-cigar (bongs are OK) smoking in dramas. In TV dramas the female lead often falls in love with her raper; evidently this is some sort of local courting ritual?

Thailand warns women who post 'underboob' photos face five years in jail

Culture ministry says those posting selfies featuring partially-exposed breasts could face up to five years in jail

Thailand’s military government warned women on Monday against posting photos of the lower half of their breasts – a current social media trend – saying their actions could violate the country’s computer crime laws.

Thailand’s computer crimes act 2007 bans material that causes “damage to the country’s security or causes public panic” or “any obscene computer data which is accessible to the public”.

The culture ministry said offenders faced up to five years in jail, but did not say how they would identify the culprits.

“When people take these ‘underboob selfies’ no one can see their faces,” ministry spokesman Anandha Chouchoti said. “So it’s like, we don’t know who these belong to, and it encourages others to do the same.

“We can only warn people to not take it up. They are inappropriate actions.”

The ministry has long been criticised for being overzealous in its censorship of films, music, television and some western cultural practices in an attempt to preserve traditional values of a country that is also infamous of its raunchy night life.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-computer-laws

Last edited by transpac; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
Just when you're certain things can't get any sillier, the Ministry of Culture declares that on-line posting of photos of partial breasts violate the Computer Crimes laws and violators will be subject to imprisonment up to five years.

In other news, the Ministry of Culture here turns a blind eye towards repeated fictionalized rape on TV dramas, and gun violence, but 'blurs' any sort of cigarette/pipe-cigar (bongs are OK) smoking in dramas. In TV dramas the female lead often falls in love with her raper; evidently this is some sort of local courting ritual?

Thailand warns women who post 'underboob' photos face five years in jail

Culture ministry says those posting selfies featuring partially-exposed breasts could face up to five years in jail

Thailand’s military government warned women on Monday against posting photos of the lower half of their breasts – a current social media trend – saying their actions could violate the country’s computer crime laws.

Thailand’s computer crimes act 2007 bans material that causes “damage to the country’s security or causes public panic” or “any obscene computer data which is accessible to the public”.

The culture ministry said offenders faced up to five years in jail, but did not say how they would identify the culprits.

“When people take these ‘underboob selfies’ no one can see their faces,” ministry spokesman Anandha Chouchoti said. “So it’s like, we don’t know who these belong to, and it encourages others to do the same.

“We can only warn people to not take it up. They are inappropriate actions.”

The ministry has long been criticised for being overzealous in its censorship of films, music, television and some western cultural practices in an attempt to preserve traditional values of a country that is also infamous of its raunchy night life.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-computer-laws
In the spirit of fulfilling my patriotic duty to my adopted second country, I will volunteer to be part of the inspection team. Will there be line-ups or just what?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to upside-down world...

Martial law caused tourist numbers to surge

THE NATION March 23, 2015

MARTIAL LAW was the reason behind a spike in tourist arrivals in the second half of last year, a government spokesman said yesterday.

Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that thanks to martial law, local residents and visitors felt safe.

His remarks came following renewed calls for martial law to be lifted, with many tourism businesses arguing that it adversely affects the sector.

"One clear proof [the opposite is happening] is that the number of tourists to Thailand increased 16 per cent in the last six months of 2014 when compared to the first half [of the year], which saw much political unrest and violence," Sansern said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/poli...-30256549.html

Another successful TAT "promotion"?

Thai Authorities To Promote 'Martial Law Tourism'

BANGKOK — The Tourism Authority of Thailand says its preparing to add one more tourist attraction to the Kingdom's long list of temples, beaches, and mountains: life under martial law.

"The TAT is preparing a campaign called '24 Hours Enjoy Thailand' to attract foreign tourists to visit Thailand under martial law," TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik told Thai Rath newspaper on Friday.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...sid=1413179452
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
From the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...arty-democracy
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kalboz
^Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.
No wonder I couldn't access the Guardian via the internet while I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
^Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.
No wonder I couldn't access the Guardian via the internet while I was there a couple of weeks ago.
The Guardian's website is not blocked here, yet, as of today. Not saying it might not be blocked at some point in the future.

The Daily Mail's website remains blocked, along with thousands of other sites, mostly for LM "issues" and pron, although there is a big push underway to block other types of sites per the Ministry of Culture.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:11 pm

The Guardian's website is not blocked here, yet, as of today. Not saying it might not be blocked at some point in the future.

The Daily Mail's website remains blocked, along with thousands of other sites, mostly for LM "issues" and pron, although there is a big push underway to block other types of sites per the Ministry of Culture.
Well, I was at the HR Phuket for a week, and the entire time I was there, I couldn't access the Guardian's site. I kept getting the screen saying that the site was prohibited. I never tried when I got to Bangkok, so I don't know if I could've gotten to it there, and I never tried any backdoors.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:02 am

If you use Chrome, the VPN 'Zen Mate' is already loaded. Just activate it in Extensions. It's fastest if you use Hong Kong as your location.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 26, 2015 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:34 pm

Speaking about the Ministry of Culture, Motor show 'pretties' overheat Culture Ministry

link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...lture-ministry
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:22 am

Is he joking now too? http://www.thailandnews.net/index.php/sid/231376365
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Yeah, I read the same story yesterday. Things are definitely becoming more "interesting" here and I don't mean that in a good way. I've decided to take my annual summer break on a one way ticket back home this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.