Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transpac
It's been so long since the last election, but I'm pretty sure the second-weekend ban extended for 48 hours, so some progress? You can stock up - I assume the junta won't lock the mini-bar - today until 2:00 PM and from 5:00 PM until 5:59 PM.

I thought that hotels were exempt, but maybe that is just for the religious holidays.

This election, the ruling military junta has said celebrations, like weddings, can go forward, but no alcohol.
Last call today at the Conrad Bangkok executive lounge was 5:59 pm. Haha! But there was still the hotel room mini-bar. The election of course is not until tomorrow!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The excuse most often cited is that the authorities do not want political parties to offer pre-election events where they ply the commoners with alcohol and then get them to vote for their list.

Always seemed odd that foreigners were not exempt - I had no intention in voting, but then that's hardly the oddest thing I've seen here.

Mom & pop shops still sell. Consumption is not against the rules, but I wouldn't be testing that theory in public.

In other news:

Princess presides at reception for Thaksin's daughter

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...ksins-daughter
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This is starting to get serious. The Conrad Bangkok informs me that no alcohol will be served "in all public places" from 6pm 3/23 to 6pm 3/24, and this includes the executive lounge!
I'm currently at the TG Royal Silk Lounge D1, and fortunately alcohol ban does not seem to apply here.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air Asia apologises for its “Get off in Thailand” promotion

AirAsia has now apologised following an advertising campaign using the phrase “Get off in Thailand” was posted around the city of Brisbane to promote the airline’s direct route to Bangkok.

Air Asia apologises for its ?Get off in Thailand? promotion
Kalboz likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Hopefully this doesn't venture too far into OMNI territory. Recent article in The Economist regarding the aftermath of the 2019 Thai elections, entitled After an ineptly rigged election, Thailand's junta will cling to power.

The final sentence of the article gave me a chuckle: "Thailand’s junta, it seems, cannot organise a rigged election in a dictatorship."

https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/...cling-to-power
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Piss up in a brewery" comes to mind. But they are getting better, just another Constitution (Ver. 32 now) or three should do the trick.

Shades of Field Marshall Thanom and General Suchinda. Hopefully, this experiment in Thai "Democracy" ends better?

AUTHORITARIAN SPECTER AWAITS POST-ELECTION THAILAND: HISTORIAN

Authoritarian Specter Awaits Post-Election Thailand: Historian
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Half suspect the Future Foward party will fall off a balcony this weekend.

Post-election mop up.

Rumors abound that the Powers that Be are most fearful of the younger generations, like the Future Forward party.

FUTURE FORWARD LEADER HIT WITH SEDITION CHARGE

Future Forward Leader Hit With Sedition Charge
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Thailand Tourists Threatened With Death Penalty Over Airplane Selfies

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...plane-selfies/

Any behavior that causes disturbances to landing aircraft and endangers passengers faces severe punishment under the Air Navigation Act. “The maximum penalty is the death sentence,” added [deputy Phuket airport chief Wichit Kaeothaithiam].
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Fire at Centara Grand@CentralWorld Hotel at Bangkok’s Ratchaprasong Intersection - 3 dead

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/det...ional/30367491

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA
Going to Bangkok in November for 5 nights - What brand hotel is most recommended? I have an Amex Plat so i have gold status with most of the major brands. Hilton seems like a good choice to get free breakfast everyday - but less desirable location. Marriott's seem to be more spread out and ranked best on TripAdvisor - but i won't get free breakfast each morning as only gold not plat with them. Thanks for help in advance
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Sad news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47936101

Canadian tourist dies after Thailand zipline wire snaps

This is the same place that was closed (for a while) in 2016 after another accident.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Hopefully this doesn't venture too far into OMNI territory.
Sorry to ask a very basic question despite having been a member here for a few years. What is OMNI? I've seen multiple references to it, and from the contexts I understand it represents something out of policy, but I just can't find what the heck it exactly stands for.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Sorry to ask a very basic question despite having been a member here for a few years. What is OMNI? I've seen multiple references to it, and from the contexts I understand it represents something out of policy, but I just can't find what the heck it exactly stands for.
Intro to OMNI:

Originally Posted by Randy Peterson
OMNI is a vibrant dialogue on FlyerTalk of perspectives on world events, personal advice, and more (Politics and Religion is in the OMNI/PR forum). But even more, it is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment in a casual and fun environment that fosters friendships among members. Respect for the opinions and feelings of others is required. THE RULES ARE SIMPLE: Civilized debate only - no personal attacks, no insults, no advertising, no spam and no obscenity.

Don't recall how long you need to be a member and the exact number of minimum (constructive) posts you need to read or post there.

It is generally referred to as going Off Topic or posting something controversial, as that belongs to OMNI fora.

You will know if you have access if you hover on FORUM at the top of this page. (it is fourth from bottom for me, but I don't venture there myself)
Kalboz likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:12 am

One of the more disgusting pieces of news I've seen :(

News around Thailand & South East Asia - Thai Stock MarketWoman held for forcing five-year-old daughter into prostitution
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:00 pm

in the world of weird

News around Thailand & South East Asia - Thai Stock Market"A man parked his brand new Mercedes-Benz in the middle of the busy Ratchaprasong intersection on Wednesday evening, dropped a bag of cobras on the street...................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.