Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Parents of Thai ex-princess given jail term for lese majeste: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31828475

Media organisations cannot report the full details of any case without risking prosecution under the law.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
An entertaining take on Bangkok and what it has to offer in a blog entry with photos: http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-travel-guide/

Khao San has a lot to see: Doe-eyed backpackers, the cheapest street food vendors, and general craziness. Also, when the party shuts down in the rest of the city, the after party is just beginning in Khao San. Finally, the Burger King right around the corner is my favorite in the world. If you do want to stay right in the heart of the action, check out Sawasdee House which is a bar, restaurant, and upscale hostel that is never closed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Novice.

Last edited by dsquared37; Mar 12, 2015 at 6:37 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Novice.
Worse, this is a person to avoid. Too bad this jamoke is going to miss Songkran !!!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This told me all I needed to know about whether i should bother following the link:
Finally, the Burger King right around the corner is my favorite in the world.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Worse, this is a person to avoid. Too bad this jamoke is going to miss Songkran !!!
My original post stated just as much, but in a more pointed and demeaning way.

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
This told me all I needed to know about whether i should bother following the link:
Did you know that everyone goes to Bangkok to eat cheap pad thai in Khao San?

Or that tuk tuks from Sukhumvit to Khao San will go for less than the taxi meter?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Don't get me wrong, I had my years of enjoying 3AM chicken baguettes from Hungry Jacks / Burger King, but what disappoints me is the number of people what will leave Khao San and think that's all BKK and this amazing country have to offer.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
... the number of people what will leave Khao San and think that's all BKK and this amazing country have to offer.
Probably about the same as the number who think the same about Cowboy/Nana/Patpong.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suvarnabhumi voted 47th among worlds best 50 airports

Singapore Changi Airport again was voted the world's best airport for the third year running in the annual SkyTrax World Airport Awards 2015 announced Wednesday in Paris. Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi was also among the list of 50 best airports.

The result was based on more than 13 million surveys completed by 112 nationalities of airline customers between May and January, and included 550 airports worldwide.

Thailands Suvarnabhumi Airport was named among the worlds top 50 airports, earning the 47th rank, one notch up from last years ranking.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suv...st-50-airports
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
First I am hearing about this activity. Wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't the headline at breakfast this morning.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/497025/bangkok-on-alert-over-bomb-scare
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First I am hearing about this activity.

Believe both recent bombings (Siam: 1 Feb, Court: last weekend) were covered in this thread?

No warden messages yet.

Hard to tell how "real" these are, what they really mean, who actually planted them, why, etc. For sure these incidents further reenforce the need for continued Martial Law, suppression of freedoms, etc.

In one breath the Junta tells us all is well and everyone is happy. In another, they refer to "bad people". Who knows, but for now probably safe. A lot of these bomb-lets are meant more for show rather than death/injury, as opposed to the bombings in the restive South.

I have seen an increased presence in Special Branch police in/around Bangkok generally, and on the BTS specifically, since the Siam bombing.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
... but what disappoints me is the number of people what will leave Khao San and think that's all BKK and this amazing country have to offer.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Probably about the same as the number who think the same about Cowboy/Nana/Patpong.
IMO, all are places to avoid. I suppose most visit them once just to see what they're about. After that, I can't think of a good reason to even get close to them.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bid to allay fears over rumours of attacks

THE SUNDAY NATION March 15, 2015 1:00 am

Authorities closely monitoriong situation; Security stepped up at key locations around the country

POLICE and the military yesterday attempted to allay public fears of possible violent attacks throughout the country today, as had been claimed by arrested bomber suspects.

Colonel Winthai Suvari, spokesman for the National Council for Peace and Order, said that both the military and police officers had been closely monitoring the situation. He said security measures had been stepped up at many key locations.

"The public members should rest assured that the authorities have sufficient measures to deal with the situation," the spokesman said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30256039.html

It's pretty much against various laws (Martial, Defamation, Lese Majeste, et al.) to discuss anything here except for the weather, so gossip/rumor unfortunately rules the day.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the lighter side...

On the trail with Bangkok's No 1 ladies' detective agency

Catching out cheating husbands and two-timing mistresses is all in a day's work for one pioneering private eye

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spec...tective-agency
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
Bid to allay fears over rumours of attacks

THE SUNDAY NATION March 15, 2015 1:00 am

Authorities closely monitoriong situation; Security stepped up at key locations around the country

POLICE and the military yesterday attempted to allay public fears of possible violent attacks throughout the country today, as had been claimed by arrested bomber suspects.

Colonel Winthai Suvari, spokesman for the National Council for Peace and Order, said that both the military and police officers had been closely monitoring the situation. He said security measures had been stepped up at many key locations.

"The public members should rest assured that the authorities have sufficient measures to deal with the situation," the spokesman said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30256039.html

It's pretty much against various laws (Martial, Defamation, Lese Majeste, et al.) to discuss anything here except for the weather, so gossip/rumor unfortunately rules the day.
Similar article in the BKK Post with additional detail. I'm not sure how much of this I'm buying and how much is the military preparing a justification to crack down.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...ver-bomb-scare

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.