Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 27, 15, 1:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Wiki Link
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

  • This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

  • Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

  • As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

  • Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

  • Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.



Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 21, 15, 4:46 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,672
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Now Bangkok taxis are refusing Japanese customers.

National embarrassment, if you ask me.
Absolutely agree and, apparently, so does the Land Transport Department as they are threatening to pull the licenses of those taxis:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cab...-lose-licences
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 15, 5:51 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,622
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...t-gets-results

Some highlights:

Thai Rath online reports that Mr Tarin Kaenkhunthod, the head of the taxi drivers association, has strongly denied his group is involved with the controversial sign, calling it very inappropriate. He also threatened to take legal action against the person posting the photo of the sign in the social media.

"Passengers pay tens of thousands of baht for an air ticket. Why can't they pay a few hundred baht for a negotiated fare," he asked.

Also, although it's not in the article and I can't find an English source, there is a clamor for a per bag charge now.
dsquared37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 15, 6:45 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok or San Francisco
Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Posts: 11,881
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ese-passengers

Now Bangkok taxis are refusing Japanese customers.

National embarrassment, if you ask me.
No argument here. The government needs to get control over the whole taxi situation. Taxis that are in unsafe condition, drivers refusing fares, drivers demanding flat rates, etc. are, as you say, a national embarrassment.
Tchiowa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:07 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Deadline looms for prepaid mobile users in Thailand to register


http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30252420.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...d-to-register/

As I read it, the deadline might be 31 July 2015. As with all things here YMMV.
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:34 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Thai Junta Leader Deflects Concern Over Mass Surveillance Bill

BANGKOK — Thai junta leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has asserted his authority to pass a mass surveillance bill that would allow officials to inspect any form of communication without a requesting a court warrant.

When a reporter from Isra News asked the junta chairman to comment on the draft of the controversial Cyber Security Act, Gen. Prayuth responded that Thai people should learn about "rules" instead of focusing only on the "restriction of their rights."

The reporter pressed Gen. Prayuth to justify the sweeping nature of the bill, prompting Gen. Prayuth to lose his temper and shout, "I don't have to answer why! I will pass it. You have a problem with that? Otherwise, why the hell am I the Prime Minister? Why am I the Prime Minister?"

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...11&typecate=06

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30252415.html
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 9:22 am
  #21  
formerly known as seanthepilot
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Thai Junta Leader Deflects Concern Over Mass Surveillance Bill

BANGKOK — Thai junta leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has asserted his authority to pass a mass surveillance bill that would allow officials to inspect any form of communication without a requesting a court warrant.

When a reporter from Isra News asked the junta chairman to comment on the draft of the controversial Cyber Security Act, Gen. Prayuth responded that Thai people should learn about "rules" instead of focusing only on the "restriction of their rights."

The reporter pressed Gen. Prayuth to justify the sweeping nature of the bill, prompting Gen. Prayuth to lose his temper and shout, "I don't have to answer why! I will pass it. You have a problem with that? Otherwise, why the hell am I the Prime Minister? Why am I the Prime Minister?"

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...11&typecate=06

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30252415.html
Here's a good start to a more secure/private online presence.

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/the-be...ure-online/11/
2lovelife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 7:17 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Here's a good start to a more secure/private online presence.

While I haven't reviewed this proposed Thai legislation, I am fairly certain that it will proscribe restrictions, and define associated punishments: fines, prison time, on the use of technological solutions (VPN, encryption, etc.) to bypass government restrictions.

As Martial Law remains in effect throughout the entire country there is currently no need for the authorities to require a warrant for any type of search. This sort of legislation, along with many, many, many other similar "laws" is deemed necessary to protect the sanctity of the Kingdom, when/if Martial Law is relaxed.
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 7:31 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: BKK
Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Here's a good start to a more secure/private online presence.

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/the-be...ure-online/11/
See these FT threads, as well:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ationally.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...appliance.html
aBroadAbroad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 8:09 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Third young British backpacker dies on Thai island of Koh Tao

A young backpacker has died on the Thai island where two fellow Britons were killed last year.

The victim, named online as 23-year-old political activist Christina Annesley, died on Wednesday on Koh Tao, an area popular with tourists and backpackers.
It is the same spot where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were killed last September. Two Burmese men have been charged in connection with the couple's deaths.

Reports suggested Miss Annesley died from natural causes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...f-Koh-Tao.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ead-on-koh-tao

http://news.sky.com/story/1412995/uk...island-koh-tao
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 8:16 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Third young British backpacker dies on Thai island of Koh Tao

A young backpacker has died on the Thai island where two fellow Britons were killed last year.

The victim, named online as 23-year-old political activist Christina Annesley, died on Wednesday on Koh Tao, an area popular with tourists and backpackers.
It is the same spot where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were killed last September. Two Burmese men have been charged in connection with the couple's deaths.

Reports suggested Miss Annesley died from natural causes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...f-Koh-Tao.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ead-on-koh-tao

http://news.sky.com/story/1412995/uk...island-koh-tao
The chances of a 23 year old fm healthy enough to travel to KT, dying suddenly of "natural causes" has to be pushing 0%. Reads more like an alcohol & drug interaction IMO. I understand why her parents are down w/the "natural causes" finding.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Jan 22, 15 at 8:24 pm
whackyjacky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 8:38 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
"Natural causes" here means that it was not a homicide; she did make mention on her social media page(s) of requiring antibiotics, and extensive alcohol consumption over the previous two weeks, so a medication interraction seems a possibility. I merely bolded the "natural causes" phrase to indicate that this may not be a homicide like the previous catastrophes (Ms. Witheridge and Mr. Miller); no comment on the Frenchman found hanged (on Koh Tao on 1 Jan. 2015) with his hands tied behind his back being a suicide.
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 9:19 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
"Natural causes" here means that it was not a homicide; she did make mention on her social media page(s) of requiring antibiotics, and extensive alcohol consumption over the previous two weeks, so a medication interraction seems a possibility. I merely bolded the "natural causes" phrase to indicate that this may not be a homicide like the previous catastrophes (Ms. Witheridge and Mr. Miller); no comment on the Frenchman found hanged (on Koh Tao on 1 Jan. 2015) with his hands tied behind his back being a suicide.
Yeah, "Natural Causes" means nothing suspicious no need for tests. Over here in Cambodia everybody dies of heart attack. She was popping (at least) Tramadol, antibiotics, Valium, & alcohol simultaneously. It could've been an allergic reaction to the mix too. Vals & alcohol alone will turn your liver into a loofah.
whackyjacky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 15, 11:09 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra impeached over rice policy

Thailand's legislators have voted to impeach former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and ban her from politics for five years.

The move relates to her involvement in a controversial rice subsidy scheme.

Earlier on Friday, the attorney general also announced that Ms Yingluck would face a criminal charge over her role in the scheme.

A court removed Ms Yingluck as PM in May 2014, days before the military ousted her government in a coup.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30928835


This is euphemistically referred to by the military junta as "reconciliation", and "reform". It was also reported today that the AG will indict her on criminal charges of negligence of duty, which might result in a prison term of 10 - 15 years. But the goal may be simply to insure she flees the country?
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 15, 12:49 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,672
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Here's a good start to a more secure/private online presence.

While I haven't reviewed this proposed Thai legislation, I am fairly certain that it will proscribe restrictions, and define associated punishments: fines, prison time, on the use of technological solutions (VPN, encryption, etc.) to bypass government restrictions.
I browsed through it and there's nothing that restrictive....the draft language mainly describes the establishment of a governing committee and how it's going to function. That's not to say that the committee won't eventually establish some similarly draconian restrictions but that's not in the draft (that I could find.)

If interested, it's published here:

https://thainetizen.org/2015/01/digi...rity-bills-en/
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 15, 5:02 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,395
Not sure what change this actually represents, or what the effects might be? The hours seem the same but something must be different as they're making a big deal out of it. There is mention of entertainment areas being limited to 9:00 PM to 2:00 AM.

Note that there have been proposals to outlaw public (outdoors) consumption.


Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today

23 January 2015

Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/res...s-effect-today
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread