Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Chiang Mai as Solo Traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold

I'm going to be in HKG the first week of September and I decide I'm probably going to take an additional 3-4 days to visit Thailand. I have never been there. I'm going to skip BKK for now and just check out Chiang Mai. Where should I stay as a single traveler who is 30?

I'm more interested in getting a real authentic feel and I love to be surround by culture. Is this a good time to visit and is 3/4 days enough or would I be too rushed.

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
"Authentic" and "culture" are pretty vague terms, IMO. I will say that if you stay in the old city markets and shops where the locals eat/shop aren't too hard to come by (I ate at some near Chiang Mai Gate in the south).

You could easily find a guest house run by locals for $25-30 that is clean and has the basics on booking.com. I also stayed here on a recent trip to Chiang Mai- it was fantastic.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
3-4 days will give you a good introduction. There are so many hotels of all varieties in Chiang Mai. What's your price range?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to keep it under $200 a night. I don't mind giving up a 5* hotel if I could live in an inn, get to meet people, locals, etc. I feel sometimes living in a large hotel you miss out on the local feel of the location.

I'm going to be at the Mandarin Oriental in HKG the week prior, so I'm very flexible with options. I searched tripadvisor and such and I see a ton of "B&B" type places that seem pretty neat.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by honghong322
I feel sometimes living in a large hotel you miss out on the local feel of the location.
Very much so, the breakfast spread complete with corn flakes might as well be back home, as opposed to down-home places like this...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I'd like to keep it under $200 a night.
That covers about 99.5% of the potential lodging options in Chiang Mai.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT GB, UA GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD, HILTON GOLD, IHG PLT
I suggest the Aruntara Hotel in the SE of Chiang Mai. My first trip to Chiang Mai was under similar circumstances and I found this 30 room gem on Trip Advisor. It's set on the banks of the Mae Ping River and is 5 minutes from the Night Market and 10 minutes from Tapae Gate via easily available tuk tuks. Rooms 108-112 are my favorites as they have individual seating areas in the courtyard. The elephant suites upstairs are really cool as well.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I had no clue $200 was more than enough for Chiang Mai. Time to go do some research!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Thanks for the recommendations. I had no clue $200 was more than enough for Chiang Mai. Time to go do some research!
There's a nice little (8 rooms?) boutique hotel near Chiang Mai gate called Baan Klaang Wiang. If memory serves it's about $80 per night, perhaps less on agoda.

Rather than focusing on yoru age and companionship level you'd be better served indicating if you want a more local experience or be yet another foreign tourist in a hotel/guest house that caters to them.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I am more interested in the latter, the local experience leverl.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
Although I haven't personally stayed there, Baan Orapin is highly recommended on many other travel sites.
http://www.baanorapin.com
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I'd like to keep it under $200 a night. I don't mind giving up a 5* hotel if I could live in an inn, get to meet people, locals, etc. I feel sometimes living in a large hotel you miss out on the local feel of the location.
Comment makes no sense to me. I suppose if you sit in your hotel room all day you'd be right. But you don't find culture, meet people, locals, etc. sitting in a $20 guest room any more than a $200 hotel room. Where you sleep is pretty much irrelevant to what you do during the day.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by jfh1107
Although I haven't personally stayed there, Baan Orapin is highly recommended on many other travel sites.
http://www.baanorapin.com
Stayed here a few years back. It's a much more "Thai" experience than staying in some random hotel chain, but it's not particularly luxurious either -- no pool, spa, etc. The price is right though, and you could do much worse for a couple of nights.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Stayed here a few years back. It's a much more "Thai" experience than staying in some random hotel chain, but it's not particularly luxurious either -- no pool, spa, etc. The price is right though, and you could do much worse for a couple of nights.
They seem to have added a pool, if you look at the pictures.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Comment makes no sense to me. I suppose if you sit in your hotel room all day you'd be right. But you don't find culture, meet people, locals, etc. sitting in a $20 guest room any more than a $200 hotel room. Where you sleep is pretty much irrelevant to what you do during the day.
Agree, I think during my initial planning phase, I was worried where all the hotels are in proximity to everything. Didn't want to stay in a "bad part of town". I've planned to do a day @ the Elephant Nature Park and then debating on doing the Golden Triangle Tour.. (Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai), then spend the last day exploring Chiang Mai.

The plan may be a bit ambitious and I'm going to heading there in September.. I guess statistically that's when the most rain occurs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.