Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I will have been in a chair/bed on TG A380 from Frankfurt for almost 11 hours before I get to BKK. Most of that time will be spent sleeping. I will definitely need something to do once I get to BKK.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Unless agp is on a mileage run, I kinda doubt he was just in a chair for 20 hrs, but we know he's probably going to be in one for 20 heading home. He can sleep then. Rip it up dude ! To be safe leave town at 8. I'd be quite surprised if a driver didn't know the English word 'airport'. Maybe you should practice saying soo -var -na - bhum just in case.
I have not tackled the monstrosity that is the pronunciation of the airport name. But eventually I will have to.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Since the last 20 or so posts have been strictly about the ins and outs of taking a taxi to the airport, I've gone ahead and relocated them to our endlessly fascinating “all-things-taxi” discussion, aka the
Catching a Taxi at Bangkok Airport Thread, where they will likely prove helpful to a wider audience. Please carry on there.

Thanks everyone!

~Moderator
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:37 pm

Remember the Canadian sisters who died on Koh Phi Phi and those other mysterious deaths ? The Thai authorities were trying to blame the girls, saying they were taking drugs and drinking crazy psychoactive drinks with DEET in them. It was an overdose of pesticides as I had theorized 35 pages back. LINK: http://www.cbc.ca/news/deaths-of-que...cide-1.2569434
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, there is a massive garbage dump on fire for the past few days ~ 8 Km southwest of the airport (SBIA/BKK). Visibility is limited and the odors, from who knows what, are extremely bad. Around Mega Bang Na yesterday I'd guess the visibility was ~ 1/2 mile or less, the gigantic column of black smoke made me think of a different caaue based on the proximity to the airport. Not sure if departures/arrivals are impacted, but just a heads up if you notice the smell. I did not notice any effects in the city.

Air emergency at dump site (updated)

A massive fire broke out at a garbage dump covering 150 rai of land on Sunday afternoon and it has continued throughout today as firefighters try to contain the blaze.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...t-prakan-skies

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%...w=1920&bih=979
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
FYI, there is a massive garbage dump on fire for the past few days ~ 8 Km southwest of the airport (SBIA/BKK). Visibility is limited and the odors, from who knows what, are extremely bad. Around Mega Bang Na yesterday I'd guess the visibility was ~ 1/2 mile or less, the gigantic column of black smoke made me think of a different caaue based on the proximity to the airport. Not sure if departures/arrivals are impacted, but just a heads up if you notice the smell. I did not notice any effects in the city.

A massive fire broke out at a garbage dump covering 150 rai of land on Sunday afternoon and it has continued throughout today as firefighters try to contain the blaze.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%...w=1920&bih=979
I didn't notice any smell in the Lumpini area this morning. And it's kind of hard to tell if the smoky air hanging over the city is from the fire or normal Bangkok smog.

They ordered evacuations from the area because of the smoke.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
FYI, there is a massive garbage dump on fire for the past few days ~ 8 Km southwest of the airport (SBIA/BKK). Visibility is limited and the odors, from who knows what, are extremely bad. Around Mega Bang Na yesterday I'd guess the visibility was ~ 1/2 mile or less,
I was at Mega on Sunday morning till afternoon for several hours and didn't notice nor smell anything unusual. Maybe fire got bigger later.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Saw that on the front page of Bangkok Post this morning. Haven't smelled it either.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Might actually improve the odors in some areas now that the 'hot season' has begun
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Might actually improve the odors in some areas now that the 'hot season' has begun

Hot season in San Francisco's Mission District is still worse than most anything I've encountered in Bangkok.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
I was at Mega on Sunday morning till afternoon for several hours and didn't notice nor smell anything unusual. Maybe fire got bigger later.
I think this fire started raging Sunday afternoon, and the prevailing winds did not shift north until the early AM on Monday. I was in the Bang Na Trat/Outer Ring Road area driving Monday afternoon and it was very bad. I could not see the giant IKEA sign at Mega Bang Na from more than a 1/4 mile away.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Hot season in San Francisco's Mission District is still worse than most anything I've encountered in Bangkok.
"Hot season" ??? You mean must those 3 days in Oct. Folks in SF are unfamiliar with the concept. Places below sea level like New Orleans or BKK occasionally hit me with a sewer gas backup during low tide that has me gasping. Not even mentioning the vehicle pollution. I guess we should be happy it's not Beijing The Mission is all gentrified now & most of the bums are depositing their urine elsewhere these days. However, I've run into some stank in Chinatown on a hot day that would gag a maggot.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 18, 2014 at 1:37 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
"Hot season" ??? You mean must those 3 days in Oct. Folks in SF are unfamiliar with the concept. Places below sea level like New Orleans or BKK occasionally hit me with a sewer gas backup during low tide that has me gasping. Not even mentioning the vehicle pollution. I guess we should be happy it's not Beijing The Mission is all gentrified now & most of the bums are depositing their urine elsewhere these days. However, I've run into some stank in Chinatown on a hot day that would gag a maggot.
Some of the BART stations can be pretty bad. Hot, cold, rainy, dry, doesn't matter.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From The Nation:

Toxic smog alert near garbage fire

Yesterday, smog seemed to ease in the morning and early afternoon. Compared with the situation on Monday, locals reported a less intense smell and reduced smog. However, by late afternoon, even people living in Bang Na district could see the smog clearly and experience the strong smell.

According to the PCD, air-quality tests at a spot one kilometre from the landfill site showed there were as many as 354 micrograms of small dust particles, or PM10 per cubic metre of air. "This is three times higher than the safe limit of 120 micrograms," Wichian said. Such a level of PM10 could be very dangerous, especially to people with respiratory diseases. "These dust particles can deposit in their lungs and cause cancer risks," he explained.

Samut Prakan Governor Kanit Ieamrahong said efforts to extinguishing the fire at the site were progressing well.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webm...-30229558.html
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the local TV news, it seems like this fire is being fueled underground by all the material buried over the years so it may burn for days, weeks or months?

Still haven't noticed anything here in Bangkok (Khlong Toei).

From the Bangkok Post:

Fears mount over toxic smog spread
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:12 am

Just saw this on BBC's website:

Thai court rules general election invalid

Thailand's Constitutional Court has ruled the 2 February general election invalid, officials say.
The ruling party was expected to win, but the opposition boycotted it and protesters disrupted voting, meaning the election has not been completed.

The vote was unconstitutional because it did not take place on the same day across the country, the court said.
It is not clear when a new election will be held.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.