Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Any recommendations for hotels in the 2000THB range?
We are looking for a hotel close (5mn walk) to the BTS / metro, preferably with a nice pool.
We will be staying for four nights in early May.
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yann
Any recommendations for hotels in the 2000THB range?
We are looking for a hotel close (5mn walk) to the BTS / metro, preferably with a nice pool.
We will be staying for four nights in early May.
Thanks in advance.
Park Plaza Sukhumvit should meet your criteria, though the pool is on the smallish side. (By that I mean if you're a lap swimmer, it will be small. If you're a lounger, should be fine.)

Just around the corner from Terminal 21 shopping mall and the co-located Asok BTS/metro stations.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There will be plenty of nice hotels at that price range in May. Rather than seeking recommendations (Tripadvisor will be your friend for that) I would focus of which area to stay in (Silom/Sathon, Sukhumvit, Banglamphu etc - some research is needed for that).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Having already been in Bangkok a number of times, we don't care about our hotel's location (except for proximity to BTS/metro), considering that we will be moving around. Except for riverside hotels, I don't think location matters that much, but I may be missing something.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me the location matters a great deal. I don't want to stay in Sukhumvit if my main interests for the trip is in Silom/Sathon. Yes, moving around in BKK is possible by BTS/MRT but mostly the BTS and MRT is crowded and I spent to much time going back and forth in the extreme heat (as of right now in BKK; I wouldn't expect May to be less hot).

Anyway, if you have been in BKK numerous times already you should have a good idea already of where (which hotel) to stay.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SK AAR
There will be plenty of nice hotels at that price range in May. Rather than seeking recommendations (Tripadvisor will be your friend for that) I would focus of which area to stay in (Silom/Sathon, Sukhumvit, Banglamphu etc - some research is needed for that).
TripAdvisor is the last place I check for hotel recommendations. I generally rely on FT nearly exclusively.
estnet likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:41 am

Same for me. Anyway, I booked a cancellable reservation at the aforementioned PP Sukhumvit (thanks for the suggestion).

I am however still interested in other ideas, as the reviews on Flyertalk (again) are not that great (especially when compared with the PP Soi 18, where we already stayed and didn't find exceptional).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you didn't like PP Soi 18, I'm quite sure that you will not like PP Sukhumvit.

Maybe your expectations are too high considering that we are talking about 2,000 B rooms here? I found the PP Soi 18 to be perfectly acceptable given the rates paid (around or slightly more than THB 2,000 including tax) - but I always booked a least 1 category higher than the basic rooms at PP and got assigned nice rooms at that property in the past. Breakfast is mediocre I agree (but acceptable).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, there's the Nana Hotel, which upgraded its pool facilities a few years ago. They aren't on many of the booking sites, but I think will go as low as $40 or so in slow times of the year.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
While I like Park Plaza (PP) Sukhumvit, Hotel Clove Asoke offers comparable accommodations plus an inclusive buffet breakfast, not provided at PP.

Clover also allows guests who have checked out to use their guest shower at no charge. Other nice touches are complimentary beverages and snacks in the room fridge. There's a 7-11 a few steps from the entrance. However their roof top pool is small but has a see through 'floor' to peer at street traffic below.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
If you want a hole in the wall, Red Planet Bangkok Asoke (the former Tune Hotel) on Sukhumvit 14 behind the SGS usually goes for under $50 per room.

As seen from Asok BTS station
Old May 25, 2019, 2:28 am

We ended up staying at the PP Sukhumvit, which was (almost) perfect for us:
- We received an upgrade to a corner room on the last floor (just below the pool)
- Unobstructed views from all sides, which is a feature we appreciate a lot (especially in Bangkok)
- The rooftop pool is open all night so we could go there any time
- Also, parking is free, which we used on our first day (after a week in Koh Chang) before returning our rental car

Our only (not so minor) issue was that the AC system kept leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom, which they couldn't fix for three nights (they just cleaned the floor and removed all remaining water from the ceiling before starting over).
Old May 27, 2019, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We ended up staying at the PP Sukhumvit, which was (almost) perfect for us:
PP Sukhumvit? You mean the Four Points or 4P?
Our only (not so minor) issue was that the AC system kept leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom, which they couldn't fix for three nights (they just cleaned the floor and removed all remaining water from the ceiling before starting over).
Indeed not so minor issue! Did they make it up to you?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Likely Park Plaza
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz

Indeed not so minor issue! Did they make it up to you?
Park Plaza indeed.

We wanted to discuss the issue upon check-out (after mentioning it 3 times during our stay), but when we left in the early morning (4AM) the person at reception could barely speak english, so that became impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.