Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:02 pm

@Kalboz
Great reply, thanks! Though I spend close to 200 nights/year in hotels, I neither have any relevant status nor credit card benefits. That's one of the downsides of moving to Europe and working in smaller cities with spotty chain coverage. I do have plenty of FF miles, but they give much better value for flights.
Just to make sure that there's no misunderstanding, the $1350 I mentioned for the Okura was for 6 nights, so after cashback it's like $200/night. I assume when you said I could get the Authors' suite for that kind of money, you meant for one night, right? Cheapest I have found doing a quick search was close to $1000/night.

As for the St. Regis, I would get potential upgrades, breakfast and early/late check-in/out, but no executive benefits beyond that (i.e. lounge). The only property where I would get lounge access is the Marriott. While this is a nice perk, it's not that important to me since I'm planning to mostly eat and drink out.
However, I really do value a good hotel breakfast. It is my impression that none of those 3 would disappoint. Some of my colleagues actually told me that they were a bit disappointed with the spread at this St. Regis. But when we worked in Japan for a week, they basically lived off McD since they didn't know what else to eat. For all I know they were probably disappointed because the spread didn't include Quarter Pounders.

So if I were willing to spend around $200/night with decent breakfast for 2 people, what do you think would be smarter than the Okura? I was also thinking about spending the last night at the St. Regis in order to get some first hand experience for potential future visits.
My girlfriend seems to be really into the Okura, so it is somewhat of a preference, but of course I am interested if we would get something much better for the same amount.

I have been to Bangkok before, but it was for a wedding and only for like 3 nights, I spent most of the time with celebrations and being jet lagged. So I guess the answer to your question would be technically yes, but not really.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:15 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Go with the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit or Plaza Athenee or Marriott Marquis IMO. Much better than the St Regis, beautiful pool area. The Okura rooms are small, I've heard. No experience. St Regis service leaves much to be desired. Marriott on 57 is great but the lounge seems a bit planed.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:26 am

Which luxury hotel for one night that offers transportation to both airports?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any of the high end/luxury hotels will arrange airport transportation for you. Contact the hotel in advance for booking/price inquiry. It will not be cheap though. Take a taxi or Uber for a more affordable solution.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dr freeze
Which luxury hotel for one night that offers transportation to both airports?
Simultaneously?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:58 am

family of 4 travelling to Bangkok - looking for hotel ideas that offer 1 king and 2 single beds or interconnecting rooms.
with nice outdoor, ground floor pool area
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dave111
family of 4 travelling to Bangkok - looking for hotel ideas that offer 1 king and 2 single beds or interconnecting rooms.
Rama Gardens is a great family hotel - huge pool with swim-up bar, big rooms with multiple combination options.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Pathumwan Princess Hotel connected to MBK. Great family hotel. I have stayed in the Horizon Terrace Suite and ExecutivePlus Suite. I prefer the cheaper suite for $150 approx. Great value.
dave111 likes this.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Dec 21, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:37 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Concluding our trip to Thailand and here are my observations about the winners and losers for our hotel stays:

InterContinental Bangkok: The best in terms of location, accommodations and treatment. Platinum Ambassador here that booked 2 rooms (30K IHG points + $40) and purchased a club access and got a suite upgrade.
Marriott Marquis QP: Remains formidable in terms of accommodations and treatment but the location is a bit challenging even though they have park access to Phrom Phong BTS station. Goji remains as the best breakfast in Bangkok.
Conrad Bangkok: Good - got what we booked and the 5-night stay in 2 suites was better than our last experience at this property. The only property in Bangkok where I did not encounter a manager during our stay.
Radisson Blu: The most improved for accommodations and treatment but "27 Bites" has slipped considerably in terms of service and quality.
Grand Hyatt Erawan: The most disappointing of them all! Their 42 SQM rooms are very cramped (even their standard suites are cramped) and the Globalist treatment was decimal - maybe because they were swamped during the holidays. But, IMO, a hotel that prides itself as being a 5-star property should shine during such busy time. Grand club lounge happy hour offerings are nothing to write home about but the service provided by Khun Gai was as awesome as usual.

Will do individualized reviews in their respective threads
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Grand club lounge happy hour offerings are nothing to write home about but the service provided by Khun Gai was as awesome as usual.

She is wonderful but unfortunately didn't get to see her at all on my recent 2 night stay.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Pathumwan Princess Hotel connected to MBK. Great family hotel. I have stayed in the Horizon Terrace Suite and ExecutivePlus Suite. I prefer the cheaper suite for $150 approx. Great value.
How do you usually book? Direct or via any particular OTA?

Do you happen to know their child policy (i.e. do children stay free when sharing existing bedding)? I couldn't find it on their website.

Edit: FWIW, I'm also making a booking for 2 adults and 2 kids. It's a struggle as all my usual go-to hotels are ~$250 -300/nt (SGS, Okura). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...booking for families always seems like a struggle.

Last edited by 49er; Jan 14, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by 49er
How do you usually book? Direct or via any particular OTA?

Do you happen to know their child policy (i.e. do children stay free when sharing existing bedding)? I couldn't find it on their website.

Edit: FWIW, I'm also making a booking for 2 adults and 2 kids. It's a struggle as all my usual go-to hotels are ~$250 -300/nt (SGS, Okura). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...booking for families always seems like a struggle.
My travel agent books for me but they are on Expedia and other travel sites.

I just went to their website and the executive plus family suite allowed 2 adults and 2 kids. It would be very roomy even with the 4 of you.

I really love this hotel for value and quality and go back time and time again. It's one of our favourites and a great change that I love the cheaper suite option.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:12 am

Looking at connecting rooms at the Anantara Riverside ( 4nights in August )
Wanting to chill out by pool.
Other places better??
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Other places better??
Anantara in Ratchadapisek also has a great pool, and is more central for Skytrain, shopping etc. But Riverside is a nice hotel.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Other places better??
The hallways at SGS have a door at each end which can be closed, making the two rooms beyond the door quite private, with a private foyer. The pool is great, landscaped in such a way that you would think that you are in a resort. There's also a full kitchen and bar out at the pool area for drinks/snacks/meals. If you're serious about swimming laps, however, the pool may not be what you're looking for, as it's more of a free-form pool.
dave111 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.