Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:16 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by glennaa11
How do all of these hotels manage to stay in business? I'm headed back to BKK at the end of March. Hotels.com is have a big "black Friday" sale. The list of hotels just never ends. Right now I am debating sticking with the places I know or striking out for a new part of town since I've been to Bangkok many times.
With over 25 million visitors flying through Bangkok airports this year, I think the answer is fairly clear.

Add an extra figure for those coming into the country by train/boat/bus/car, and you can comprehend why the number of hotels are needed!

M
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by glennaa11
How do all of these hotels manage to stay in business? I'm headed back to BKK at the end of March. Hotels.com is have a big "black Friday" sale. The list of hotels just never ends. Right now I am debating sticking with the places I know or striking out for a new part of town since I've been to Bangkok many times.
Just checked one night in December, when I may need a room. SGS website is cheaper than Hotels.com.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive place near the Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection? I'd like to be as close as possible to the trains to stay out of the heat, but don't want to pay for the Grande Centre Point Terminal 21.

It looks like the Silq and FuramaXClusive Asoke are both in the US$60 range and are located pretty close. Anyone have experience with either?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by nkedel
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive place near the Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection? I'd like to be as close as possible to the trains to stay out of the heat, but don't want to pay for the Grande Centre Point Terminal 21.

It looks like the Silq and FuramaXClusive Asoke are both in the US$60 range and are located pretty close. Anyone have experience with either?
Park Plaza Sukhumvit. About as close to Asoke as it gets and very reasonably priced for the level of comfort. Usually in the $65-$70/night range.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Park Plaza Sukhumvit. About as close to Asoke as it gets and very reasonably priced for the level of comfort. Usually in the $65-$70/night range.
Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Post Lodging near Asok/Sukhumvit

I've stayed at the Park Plaza twice in the past year; nice accommodations plus a roof-top pool. A good value is the corner rooms; more spacious with good views.

However an even cheaper yet still comfortable option is the Room at Bangkok Boutique 'guest house' 50 metres closer to the interchange. It's European run and all rooms have an attached bathroom, TV, room refrigerator, air conditioning and free wi-fi. I've stayed there twice in the past year and found the best option to be the 2nd floor room for around 1100 baht or under $US 30.

The only caveat is there are no elevators so hauling heavy luggage to the upper floors involves some exertion.

Booking through TripAdvisor also yields a slight discount.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

During my past 3 visits to BKK I've stayed at Millennium Hilton. The main reason for it was the breakfast at executive lounge.
This time I'm trying to change my habit and looking for stay at Hilton Sukhumvit.

Anybody stayed at both hotels? Any pros and cons?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by bwiadca
During my past 3 visits to BKK I've stayed at Millennium Hilton. The main reason for it was the breakfast at executive lounge.
This time I'm trying to change my habit and looking for stay at Hilton Sukhumvit.

Anybody stayed at both hotels? Any pros and cons?
I have stayed at both Hiltons and can give you a run down (both are .... in comparison to Marriott). We do partake breakfast at FLOW by the river when staying at the Millennium because the executive lounge has limited food selection, cramped space, and unfriendly staff (especially if you are staying on points!!!).

Location: Depending on what you like to do both offer a great location. The Millennium is good for families and couples who are interested in seeing "the real" Bangkok - a boat ride away from the river taxi that will haul you to old town where you can visit the palaces, temples, monuments, etc. The same boat can take you to Saphan Taksin BTS station to access town. The views are also stunning from the Millennium. Sukhumvit Hilton offers a great location a short walking distance to the Emporium, EmQuartier, and Phrom Phong BTS station for easy access to the whole city.

Accommodations: Much nicer at the Sukhumvit Hilton. But they are both so cheap, I would book suites on points, if you have them. Old delapetated rooms and furniture at the Millennium. Both properties play games with suite upgrades and room allocation.

Food: Millennium wins this one hands down!

Staff: Very unhappy staff at the Millennium with friendlier bunch at Sukhumvit.

Lounge: Millennium has stunning views while Sukhumvit's lounge is on the 4th floor.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hi Kalboz,

Thank you very much for the run down. I had no idea that we could eat breakfast at the FLOW. I suppose it's included in the executive floor benefits?
I haven't even thought about going there for breakfast. We went there for dinner and enjoyed it, but paying $50 per person for dinner in Bangkok that's a lot.

As for the location. We really don't care that Millennium is on the other side of the river. We use that hotel for 2 nights just to regenerate before catching flight from DMK to another destination in SE Asia.

The rooms at Millennium need some improvement, no question about it. But what brings us back to that hotel is the food in the lounge. Now, that you are saying that FLOW has even better food, even better

As for the staff. Now when I think about it, never had problems with the staff at the Millennium. Ground floor staff, starting with bell boys, via check in agents, floor manager and boat drivers, FLOW restaurant staff were always top notch.
You are right, the lounge staff is not as friendly as their counterparts downstairs.

How do the lounge staff knows that you are staying on points? I've stayed there once on a cash, and twice on points. Didn't see the difference in their behavior.

The good point about Millennium is, that you book regular room, and for about $20 a night you can upgrade yourself to the suite
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:41 am

I am looking for a hotel in Bangkok in December.
So far I think it's either gonna be the Marriott Soi 57, the Okura Prestige or the St. Regis.
I would get the following for the same price, all incl. breakfast:

Marriott: Executive Suite
Okura: Standard Room
St. Regis: Standard Room with upgrades when available

Is one of those a much better offer than the others or is it reasonable to just make a choice based on preference?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What is the price point?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
What is the price point?
Pretty much the same for all 3, something around $200-250.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by makrom
Pretty much the same for all 3, something around $200-250.
Per night?

This is a very high rate per night in BKK. You can get a lot more value for your money elsewhere (unless the dates you are looking are very high in demand - NYE?).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Per night?

This is a very high rate per night in BKK. You can get a lot more value for your money elsewhere (unless the dates you are looking are very high in demand - NYE?).
Nah, start of Dec. But where would you get such hotels cheaper? I'm absolutely open for suggestions, Nov 26 - Dec 2, best I found for Okura is $1350 (2 people, incl. tax and breakfast, I'll get like $150-200 of value back with cashback, free nights and such).
But given what I paid for the St. Regis elsewhere, I thought these rates are already adjusted to the Bangkok price level.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by makrom
Nah, start of Dec. But where would you get such hotels cheaper? I'm absolutely open for suggestions, Nov 26 - Dec 2, best I found for Okura is $1350 (2 people, incl. tax and breakfast, I'll get like $150-200 of value back with cashback, free nights and such).
But given what I paid for the St. Regis elsewhere, I thought these rates are already adjusted to the Bangkok price level.
All the choices you mentioned are great, but $200-$250 is too much for a Bangkok hotel, and for sure $1350 is an astronomical figure even if you are getting $200 cashback. For such an amount you can stay full board with full benefits in a suite at the famed The Mandarin Oriental's Authors’ wings.

If suite is not really important to you, then the St. Regis with executive benefits is a good property for you. I like their breakfast spread, others might not agree with me. Okura is another great property but you'd get better value using CSR points (if you have them), but I wouldn't pay more than $200 a night all in. We do like the Marriott Soi 57 and especially if you stay at their 40th floor suite with easy access to the lounge on the same floor. Their breakfast spread at Cafe 57 Street is more than adequate to start your day. But if you are staying at Marriott, why not Marriott Marquis Queens Park which I prefer over the Marriott Soi 57.

Is this your first time in Thailand?

40th floor executive lounge at Marriott Soi 57

40th floor suite at Marriott Soi 57

Fresh high-quality sashimi offerings at St. Regis breakfast

Our Astor suite at the St. Regis overlooking the Polo Club
makrom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.