Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Cuttrently looking at doing either 2-nights redemptions and third night cash, in one of the following hotels:
->Conrad BKK (3 nights on C&P)
->Meridien Bangkok (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Radisson Blu Shukhumvit (3 nights on TA rate)
->Royal Orchid Sheraton (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Millenium Hilton (2 nights points, one cash)
It is not clear from your post if the 3 nights in BKK will be consecutive night, but if so, combining a redemption/award stay with paid nights at the Hilton properties is not recommended, as you will receive zero HH point even for the paid night.

You should also consider the Hilton Sukhumvit for easy access to BTS/Sky Train. Also fewer HH points will be needed for a C&P stay; the 3rd night on HH points will become possible then?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Ok, so I have been researching a few things here and there, and am quite unsure as to what to do for my upcoming trip:
My wife and I are heading to Thailand on a QR promo, arriving o a Friday eve and departing on a Friday morning 2 weeks later.
We're planning to stay 2 days in Bangkok, then head out to either Koh Phayam, or to Cambodia, spend a week there, fly to Singapore for a couple of days, fly back to BKK the day before and get a downtown hotel.

We're planning to visit the Khaosan road, Chatuchak market, and then a few other things around Shukhumvit. As the market is only open on weekends, the plan is to do it at the beginning of our trip, then leave our purchases at the hotel in a duffle bag, and pick it up at the last night of our stay.

I currently have SPG Gold (15k points), CC Gold (110k points), HH Diamond (75k points) and Accor Platinum.
Cuttrently looking at doing either 2-nights redemptions and third night cash, in one of the following hotels:
->Conrad BKK (3 nights on C&P)
->Meridien Bangkok (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Radisson Blu Shukhumvit (3 nights on TA rate)
->Royal Orchid Sheraton (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Millenium Hilton (2 nights points, one cash)
->Accor properties (if a good cash rate can be found, either Grand Shukhumvit or Hotel G, other options welcome)

Other CC or SPG hotels discounted due to price and/or location

Based on the different threads, the ROS and Millennium appear to be dated but still enjoyable, is it still so?

Any recommendations based on the choices above, or any other good hotels for a decent price range(less than 2500 THB++) with status benefits?

Thanks for your help on this one!
Both the Le Meridien and ROS are nice properties. I'd lean towards the ROS based on what you are saying (as the locale is nice right on the river) and the LM while a wonderful property is right across the street from Patpong Night market. It's fun but also has a seedy side.

The Hilton is too far from where you want to go imo even though it is on the BTS line. It's a decent property and you'll get access to the lounge as a Diamond. Having done all 3 properties, I'd avoid the Hilton Sukhumvit (although it does have people who prefer it). As an Accor plat you may also consider the Sofitel Sukhumvit which is a nice property with a nice lounge. I've never done the Millenium Hilton which is also on the river, but on the wrong side imo.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Thanks everyone for the replies!

SK AAR, to clarify, we'd spend 2 nights at the beginning of our stay, then drop our shopping in a duffle bag at the hotel hop around Thailand for the rest of our stay then get back to Bangkok the day before our flight.
As we are leaving bags, it makes sense for us to have the same hotel at the beginning and end of the trip hence the three nights.

Yosithezet, to reply to your question, no we're not backpackers in the sense of youth hostels and "roots" travel, though technically we won't be hauling suitcases for this trip. We've been already to Thailand, and were recommended a visit to the Khaosan area by some friend of ours. But if you have some nicer suggestions, I'm all ears

We'll cover the view part by a nice cocktail and sunset at the Banyan tree.

As for the hotels, I've narrowed it down to :
SGS
LM
Conrad

Millenium Hilton and Hilton Sukhumvit were not available on C&P for my dates, ROS discarded due to access to BTS, and Sofitels at 90 GBP per night for my dates.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
T
Yosithezet, to reply to your question, no we're not backpackers in the sense of youth hostels and "roots" travel, though technically we won't be hauling suitcases for this trip. We've been already to Thailand, and were recommended a visit to the Khaosan area by some friend of ours. But if you have some nicer suggestions, I'm all ears
First time I've heard "Khao San Road" and "nice" in the same sentence. KSR is the low end, back packer, drugs and drunks tourist area. If that's something you're curious about, go for it. But when you ask for a "nicer" suggestion, just about anywhere else in Bangkok is nicer than KSR.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I think a quick visit to KSR is worthwhile as part of Bangkok sightseeing if you have enough time. Staying near there? Not a chance.

A couple of hours one afternoon several years ago was plenty for me.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by braslvr
I think a quick visit to KSR is worthwhile as part of Bangkok sightseeing if you have enough time. Staying near there? Not a chance.

A couple of hours one afternoon several years ago was plenty for me.
200+ visits to Thailand and I passed through once.

As for other suggestions... Siam Niramit, Jim Thimpson House, Siam Museum, Pratunam, Thonglor, etc.

I typically come across israelis who go to KSR because their kids told them that they were ther or to find kosher food.... When they were backpacking.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I've been through KSR a few times. Backpacker ghettos are amusing, in small doses.

Stay there? Yuck! It's not exactly a convenient location unless you're mainly just hanging out in the backpacker ghetto or taking the terribly minibus tours.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OTOH KSR is close to the major temples, more so than major hotels.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Thanks everyone!
We've finally settled for the Conrad, as it was the only place where I could do C&P for the 2+1 nights we wanted.

Thanks as well for your opinion re KSR. We'll just pass through it then
Yositheset, thanks for the advice, I'll look up your suggestions
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:45 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thanks everyone!
We've finally settled for the Conrad, as it was the only place where I could do C&P for the 2+1 nights we wanted.

Thanks as well for your opinion re KSR. We'll just pass through it then
Yositheset, thanks for the advice, I'll look up your suggestions
The areas on the outskirts of KSR are some great areas, some full of locals, some full of tourists, etc.

Head towards the water, and you're a short (hot) walk from the riverside, the Phra Athit area, with a great riverside park, great funky restaurants, and even a few non-touristy clubs, because of it's proximity to the university and a few other schools in the area.

Just a few hundred meters from there are the historical areas of Bangkok, Sanam Luang, The Grand Palace, National Museum. Thammasat University, And Wat Pho. There's also Maharaj boat pier with a great
Starbucks and a dozen other shops. The boats will take you up or down the river.

With all those attractions, you'll have a scattering of restaurants, some very local and cheap, a few others on the river, with a bit more atmosphere and slightly higher prices. Kinlomchomsapan is about 1km up the river from here at Samsen soi 3. All the FTers that I've taken there have loved it.

Another kilometer north from there is the Thewet Fresh Market, and a flower market just south of it, the national library, and Wat Thewez.

A km east of there is one of the most famous spots for Thais, the statue of Rama V, where you can see people wai-ing to the monument 24 hours a day, 365.

Dusit Zoo is not far from there. The world's biggest Teak house with some historical significance, and lots of Federal properties. I think the King lives nearby too.

Back the other way from Khao San Rd, towards the city, there is Golden Mountain Temple, which is at the same point as the last stop for the Canal Boat (not to be confused with the river boat) on Saen Saep Canal. For a few baht, you can head back towards sukhumvit, with some of the many stops being just north of Siam, Pratunam (change boats here) Pleon Chit, Nana Soi 3, Soi 15, etc... The boat actually goes all the way up through Past Central Bang Na and beyond.

There is a Kick boxing stadium near KSR (although it's been a decade since I saw one there), a United Nations office, and in nearby Bang Lumpu some clothing markets that have been there for 4 or 5 decades, including some of the best Tom Yum Soup around at a street-side restaurant in front of the parkade on Soi Kraisi, a Soi also known for selling school uniforms.

As for KSR itself, yes, you have travel agencys and backpackers. But, at night it's got a pretty lively club scene. Again, I haven't been in a decade, but foreigners and Thais continue to flock there at night.

Khao San Road (I mean the surrounding areas) has some interesting points. Get 2 blocks away and you can find yourself in the old Bangkok.

Bo-Bae market, also not far from there...

Or you could just listen to the long time FTers that have brushed through in their few hundred visits.

They might be right... nothing there to see
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, I was also thinking the same thing.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In his recent two-week Bangkok VLOG, Mark Wiens stayed in and toured the KSR area (in the first few segments).

There are a lot of good eats in the general area (Phra Nakhon), and Wat Bowon Niwet is worth a visit. Adhere Blues bar is fun, Dusit is nearby and the Golden Mount has a great view.

Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A timely article for the discussion.
http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/...growing-airbnb

The neighborhood beside KSR is the second fastest growing Airbnb district in the world.

Indeed the area could use some nicer hotels. Until then Airbnb, I guess
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:04 pm

Just stayed at the W Bangkok. Great hotel and excellent concierge service.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Another interesting article about trendy spots in th Pra Ahtit district next to KSR,
http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/ba...o-phra-arthit?

This one is a Thai/Japanese themed spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.