Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tnmlyger
Makes perfect sense to me. He wants to use Uber when they are either more accessible than cabs or cheaper or both. Neither is usually the case in Bangkok.
Uber is very useful in Bangkok when going to places taxis are typically reticent to agree to.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
I agree. Which is why I've used Uber almost exclusively in Bangkok since it arrived. Usually it took me asking about ten to fifteen cabs every morning before finding one that would take me from Sukhumvit Soi 11 (where I used to live) to Bangphlat (where I used to work). Uber made this much easier and much more convenient.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I tried Uber to DMK airport recently. It's 400 baht fixed, including tolls. In a taxi, that would normally be about 240 + 120 (360), once I found someone who would use the meter. I like being able to pay with a credit card.

I did have a problem where the first 3 guys who were supposedly coming to get me (soi 11) didn't actually come. One of them seemed to drive right on by. So it took half an hour to get someone. Maybe that's unusual, due to the high traffic on soi 11.

I came out to the street to flag the guy down and the "sitting taxis" figured out I was waiting for uber. They didn't make a stink, though.

Another weird thing is that he asked me several times whether I wanted the toll way. I wonder if he was hoping I didn't know that tolls are included. Or maybe he just wanted my permission to not use tolls, so he could save money. I said "up to you" (being in no hurry); he took the tollway and never asked for anything.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
In Bangkok taxis are generally ubiquitous and inexpensive, negating two of the main reasons I typically use Uber (speed and convenience of pick-up, and cashless payment). So I haven't really found a reason to use Uber regularly in Bangkok.
He said that he typically use Uber in Bangkok and gave the reasons, but in the next sentence says that he haven't really found a reason to use Uber regularly.
I never said I typically use Uber *in Bangkok*. My sentence explains why my reasons for using Uber elsewhere don't apply in Bangkok. You seem to have mentally added the "In Bangkok" when you read my post (the boldface text above).

I realize English may not be everyone's first language, and hope the above helps explain a little more clearly.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigE
I tried Uber to DMK airport recently. It's 400 baht fixed, including tolls. In a taxi, that would normally be about 240 + 120 (360), once I found someone who would use the meter. I like being able to pay with a credit card.

I did have a problem where the first 3 guys who were supposedly coming to get me (soi 11) didn't actually come. One of them seemed to drive right on by. So it took half an hour to get someone. Maybe that's unusual, due to the high traffic on soi 11.

I came out to the street to flag the guy down and the "sitting taxis" figured out I was waiting for uber. They didn't make a stink, though.

Another weird thing is that he asked me several times whether I wanted the toll way. I wonder if he was hoping I didn't know that tolls are included. Or maybe he just wanted my permission to not use tolls, so he could save money. I said "up to you" (being in no hurry); he took the tollway and never asked for anything.

Did you try Grab Taxi? You should be able to get a GrabTaxi on Soi 11 in a minute or two, some of the taxi street mafia are Grab operators, and they don't hassle Grab Taxis when they come. You will have to pay in cash though.

Soi 11 is a bit of an odd-duck; it is used as part of what locals call the Sukhumvit shuffle, from Asoke to Soi 3, but getting to the expressway can be challenging depending on the time of day.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Did you try Grab Taxi? You should be able to get a GrabTaxi on Soi 11 in a minute or two, some of the taxi street mafia are Grab operators, and they don't hassle Grab Taxis when they come. You will have to pay in cash though.

Soi 11 is a bit of an odd-duck; it is used as part of what locals call the Sukhumvit shuffle, from Asoke to Soi 3, but getting to the expressway can be challenging depending on the time of day.
And the post you quoted stated the hacks didn't cause a fuss over Uber either.

There's no challenge getting to the highway from Soi 11. Back roads out to Soi 3, entering at Ploen Chit.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
URGENT ? flat rate to bkk

Can't find what the current flat rate to bkk is - it was 300 but now I'm seeing 500! but nothing with correct date!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this exact moment, 26/1/2017, 08:41 local time, the UBER app on my phone says, for my location in Asoke to Suvarnabhumi...I've got quite a few traffic delay alerts on my phone right now in 23 min - 1h27min range, looks red across the board this morning.

Popular
Fares are higher due to increased demand
Uber X 745
UberBlack 1,115
SUV 1,115

The web estimator gives this right now...

Your Options:
uberX฿425
SUV฿1,075
UberBLACK฿1,075

Last edited by transpac; Jan 27, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
As of yesterday, Uber in Chiang Mai started quoting exact fares when you enter the departure and destination points - no more "estimate range". Interesting.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, 27/1/2017, 10:00 local time the mobile Uber app (for my location in Asoke to Suvaranbhumi) it shows

Popular
Uber X 600
UberBlack 1,075
SUV 1,075

Only two vehicles showing on the map within ~ 5 Km.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
Right now, 27/1/2017, 10:00 local time the mobile Uber app (for my location in Asoke to Suvaranbhumi) it shows

Popular
Uber X 600
UberBlack 1,075
SUV 1,075

Only two vehicles showing on the map within ~ 5 Km.
Day before Chinese New Year - and yet you seem surprised.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
As of yesterday, Uber in Chiang Mai started quoting exact fares when you enter the departure and destination points - no more "estimate range". Interesting.
I saw that today but neither of my two rides (one at 1am and the other at 11am) did.

There's also a current code CMCNY30 for 30 baht off up to 10 trips through Jan 29. Trips must be taken between 3pm and 3am.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Day before Chinese New Year - and yet you seem surprised.
Sorry, why do you think I was surprised? I was simply stating a fact.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I saw that today but neither of my two rides (one at 1am and the other at 11am) did.

There's also a current code CMCNY30 for 30 baht off up to 10 trips through Jan 29. Trips must be taken between 3pm and 3am.
Also a Chinese New Year promo for 60 thb off of your next ride. Came via a message in the app and requires you to send the "gift" to someone else via the app.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, 28/1/2017, Saturday, 09:00 local time the mobile Uber app (for my location in Asoke to Suvarnabhumi) it shows

Popular
Uber X 845
UberBlack 1,075
SUV 1,075

Four vehicles showing on the map within ~ 5 Km.

Some/all promotions may be on their FB page? https://www.facebook.com/uberthai/

GrabTaxi shows a few dozen nearby, fare 262-314 (exclusive of the 25 baht fee, and tolls), GrabCar (3 nearby) as 446 baht (exclusive of fee and tolls).

Last edited by transpac; Jan 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.