Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by greendx
Hmm looks like they may have lowered the airport rate. Just did a quote from BKK to SGS and it came to 625
AKA 3x the metered rate.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
AKA 3x the metered rate.
Yeah but in a Benz or Camry, paid electronically by a credit card of my choosing with a traceable driver. Some would argue it's 3 x the value of a metered taxi.

The original flat rate of 1k was silly when I can get same level of service with AoT for 1100 and no need to wait....

The experimental price drop that is in effect right now is starting to make it quite attractive.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
AKA 3x the metered rate.
The way I see it it's the same as why am I paying 4500THB per night in a hotel when I can get one for 1500?

Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) for whatever reason. I would never argue over 200 baht with a taxi driver. The only time it's in the 300 range is on the way back to the airport but I've never seen it below 300. But even then my last trip to the airport via taxi almost involved me missing my flight due to driver trying to take me to DMK instead of BKK so those are just some of the reasons I'd gladly pay 1000-1500 for uber.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) ....
From BKK to where?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
From BKK to where?
Conrad, Westin, Four Seasons, etc. I don't remember the exact amounts but it's always the same pattern where I'm over paying 150-200THB. I've read the taxi thread but I just rather not get into it with the taxi drivers. I hate overpaying for the principal of it so I've started looking at other options even if it's actually more expensive just for the sake of not starting a vacation angry. Tried taking a hotel car once but that's much more expensive than I am willing to spend. If Uber wasn't an option this time I would have taken a prepaid car from the airport for 1100 or whatever it is.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
400-500 to WGS, FS, etc., may well be double what you should be paying. If you've taken the taxi to your hotel and there are hotel staff helping you out of the taxi, no need to "get into it" with the driver. I have faced this problem a number of times.

In order to avoid duplicate posting, please see my previous posts on how to handle this situation, -- Post 1 and Post 2.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The way I see it it's the same as why am I paying 4500THB per night in a hotel when I can get one for 1500?

Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) for whatever reason. I would never argue over 200 baht with a taxi driver. The only time it's in the 300 range is on the way back to the airport but I've never seen it below 300. But even then my last trip to the airport via taxi almost involved me missing my flight due to driver trying to take me to DMK instead of BKK so those are just some of the reasons I'd gladly pay 1000-1500 for uber.
Some Uber cars are actually hotel limos!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Allvest
Some Uber cars are actually hotel limos!
Yep, that's what I was hoping for but got a new Toyota Camry instead which was nicer than a regular taxi but still couldn't wait to get out of it after sitting in traffic for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
... but got a new Toyota Camry instead ...
so what, some hotels do have a Toyota Camry as a limousine (e.g. Hilton Sukhumvit)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by olisch
so what, some hotels do have a Toyota Camry as a limousine (e.g. Hilton Sukhumvit)
Which I'm sure is much cheaper than booking a 7 series or S class. For price paid I was happy with what I got just saying that if I got a luxury car with more leg room in the back I would have been happier
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:45 am

Looks like the flat rates to BKK are now 1,000 Bt, and 3k Bt to Chon Buri/Pattaya

https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Anybody tried using Uber from BKK airport to the city? I wonder how they're supposed to find you since you can't put any comments on where you will be.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Anybody tried using Uber from BKK airport to the city? I wonder how they're supposed to find you since you can't put any comments on where you will be.
they usually wait in the parking lot/garage

you should definitely have a Thai mobile SIM or they won't call you back.

you can see where they are parked on your app...

lastly, if you do get in touch with them they will not speak English (as a general rule), so you might ask someone to assist you with that.

Although, by that time, why not just get in a taxi or AOT car.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Allvest
they usually wait in the parking lot/garage

you should definitely have a Thai mobile SIM or they won't call you back.

you can see where they are parked on your app...

lastly, if you do get in touch with them they will not speak English (as a general rule), so you might ask someone to assist you with that.

Although, by that time, why not just get in a taxi or AOT car.
Okay, does AOT take credit cards? Wanted to use CC to earn some points.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Okay, does AOT take credit cards? Wanted to use CC to earn some points.
Yes, absolutely. No surcharge either. Cash or credit card is the same price. Hardly any waiting time. Plenty of counters in arrivals area. Look for blue colored AOT counters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.