Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No uber car near BKK for 10 mins while waiting for my bag

Unless an Uber driver is dropping a pax off it might challenging to locate a driver. I think many/most/all of the Uber drivers are focused on city (intra-, originating) passengers.

I had a quick look through some Thai social media and saw no mention of Uber drivers waiting en masse at SBIA/BKK. Some drivers might live nearby, but you're still looking at 30 - 60 minutes for them to get up from their meal, get dressed, drive to the airport, try to find you, etc. Maybe simpler to take a private limo (pre-arranged), AoT limo or a semi-metered taxi?

Last edited by transpac; Mar 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Am not used to Uber but trying to book one in Phuket (where it now is also available btw) in order to avoid extortionate taxi prices.

The app however tells me that no car is available in my current location (but that there would be around 2km from where I am).

Is it possible that Uber doesn't come to our resort (in Mai Khao) for some reason?

Thanks.

Last edited by yann; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I've only used Uber twice at BKK and both times there were 3-4 drivers sitting waiting. I assume they had dropped someone and decided to sit and wait rather than go back empty. My arrivals were both after 9pm.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
As a part-time driver in SFO, looking forward to using UberBlack from BKK to SGS 10 days from now.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:14 pm

FYI: I used Uber on my last trip to BKK. While I was collecting my luggage there were 3-4 cars waiting. When I exited the customs hall, I snagged the last car. Flat rate 1000 to Sukhumvit.
I also used Uber to transit from my Sukhumvit hotel out to the new LeMeridien Golf resort near the airport. It was 660 or so.
Unfortunately there were no cars within rage for my LM->airport transfer so I needed to call a cab.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by schoflyer
FYI: I used Uber on my last trip to BKK. While I was collecting my luggage there were 3-4 cars waiting. When I exited the customs hall, I snagged the last car. Flat rate 1000 to Sukhumvit.
Thanks for the data point. Kind of high IMO as I find a meter taxi to be no more than 500b to lower Suk including meter charges + tolls + airport departure fee + tip. And I think most taxi drivers would be quick to accept a flat 500b off the meter for the trip. Feels like roughly half of the Uber tariff goes directly to Uber which explains the difference.

SunLover
Old May 21, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
Thanks for the data point. Kind of high IMO as I find a meter taxi to be no more than 500b to lower Suk including meter charges + tolls + airport departure fee + tip. And I think most taxi drivers would be quick to accept a flat 500b off the meter for the trip. Feels like roughly half of the Uber tariff goes directly to Uber which explains the difference.

SunLover
Even 500 is way to much. Should be about 250 max to Suk. I go through a few drivers but within a couple minutes we are on our way for 250.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Even 500 is way to much. Should be about 250 max to Suk. I go through a few drivers but within a couple minutes we are on our way for 250.
It's 30 mile ride. C'mon. 500 THB would be more than reasonable. Have a heart, really.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:03 am

1000 THB is insane to Sukhumvit. Max with tip, tolls and traffic is 400 THB in a taxi.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:22 pm

FYI it is uber black service. Competes vs AOT not a crap taxi. Admittedly the "Black" car requirements are a bit lower than US. I was in a brand new 4 door accord for one ride and another sedan for the other. UberX would be a product comparable to taxis.

Last edited by schoflyer; May 21, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 12:52 pm

And yup taxi's are cheaper so if that your only criteria, jump in the queue for a bucket of bolts.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrflyhigher
1000 THB is insane to Sukhumvit. Max with tip, tolls and traffic is 400 THB in a taxi.
That's roughly the price of an AOT car or a private limo service. Too high for some. Well worth it IMO.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Allvest
It's 30 mile ride. C'mon. 500 THB would be more than reasonable. Have a heart, really.
No, it's =<25km. In other words ~15miles.

And I'm amenable to pay around 250 THB +/- (meter) for that distance.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
FYI: I used Uber on my last trip to BKK. While I was collecting my luggage there were 3-4 cars waiting. When I exited the customs hall, I snagged the last car.
where did you find them, exactly?

So you've given up on the SGS hotel limo?

-David
Old May 21, 2015, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
where did you find them, exactly?

So you've given up on the SGS hotel limo?

-David
Hey David...

Well I quit AOT for 5:30 AM arrivals when my driver was falling asleep at the wheel after waking up from a bench to drive me. Moved my AM business to SGS Limo which usually affords me a friggin early checkin before breakfast.

Now that I'm a Uber driver in SF, I'd rather shift my business to them. I have 600THB credit from trips I took my last stay to boot!

Once I got my bag of the carousel, I requested my Uber and my driver was allocated to me via the standard system. I exited the customs hall and texted my drive my door number. He was at the "middle" curb before I was. It seems they wait in a lot, perhaps regular parking lot. There were 4 cars when I first checked after immigration but by the time my bag showed up it was down to one.

Leaving the SGS, I just requested an Uber from the lobby before checkout process and one showed up within 10 min or so. It was a run out to LM and because it was not to the airport I got the regular rate which was only 600 something.

The following morning there were no Uber cars in range at the LM and the front desk called a cab for me to get to the airport for my early TG massage and flight.

I'll have another data point for you next week. Can't wait. But I'll will feel bad taking a driver out of the queue for a short trip to LM upon my arrival. Wonder if it will be a flat rat 1000? Ultimately, I will tip accordingly.

In addition I'll have a LM->SGS, SGS->BKK->SGS (pickup), SGS->BKK->SGS (dropoff), WGS->BKK fares. I will try to do them all on Uber but something tells me I will not be batting 1.000 but the time my stay is complete. They are just not as available on the outskirts as they are in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.