Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I used Grab in Bangkok last week quite successfully paying automatically on my credit card as usual. The driver paid the tolls to the airport and added the charge to the final bill which went on my card. I've not had a real problem with pick-up failures in Bangkok.

I never, however, try to use it from the airport because (a) despite the 50/50 chance of the airport taxi using the meter I know the correct fare and don't overpay and (b) some years ago I tried using Uber from the airport a couple of times and it was just impossible to meet up with them so I gave up on using app services from BKK airport.

I've used Grab in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam successfully with no problems and they all bill to my credit card.
Thanks for the info on them paying toll if u use grabpay - was this a grab car or grab taxi? I've found grab really cheap in Malaysia (at least in KL where the taxis seem worse for overcharging than in Bangkok ;( )
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:34 am

Just as a word of caution ...

Grab pay can be problematic if you change phone numbers .. I think they treat each phone number as a different account, although there is a login in with google option in the grab app now.

I'm using my US t-mobile number this year, and set up grab again, which it assumed is a new account. Adding any credit card already in use by other grab accounts gets flagged by them and you lose the ability to use grab pay until you clear it up with them. You can still pay cash and use grab car/taxi, you just can't use grab pay or possibly can't use any card they flag this way in grab pay.

Wait times in town for grab car have been ridiculous.

-David
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ideally, its best to have a local Thai mobile number, not so much for GrabPay (which I don't use), but for contact with the driver.

I wouldn't expect a Thai driver to ring me on my T-Mobile number (U.S.), it would cost him ~ 40 baht/minute assuming he could figure out how to dial it.

LINE Man (Taxi, Food, delivery, etc.) is also an option which I forget to mention. Use it for food delivery all the time, have used it for taxi dispatch a few times.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...manth&hl=en_US

https://linecorp.com/en/pr/news/en/2018/2202

In Thai but gives you a feel...

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:52 am

The problem with having a local Thai number is that if they call me I can't speak Thai! If you're at a hotel, though, often the door staff will call the Thai driver and communicate for you (they usually give u the drivers number)

Originally Posted by transpac
Ideally, its best to have a local Thai mobile number, not so much for GrabPay (which I don't use), but for contact with the driver.

I wouldn't expect a Thai driver to ring me on my T-Mobile number (U.S.), it would cost him ~ 40 baht/minute assuming he could figure out how to dial it.

LINE Man (Taxi, Food, delivery, etc.) is also an option which I forget to mention. Use it for food delivery all the time, have used it for taxi dispatch a few times.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...manth&hl=en_US

https://linecorp.com/en/pr/news/en/2018/2202

In Thai but gives you a feel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXrm_nIUBvw
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Just as a word of caution ...

Grab pay can be problematic if you change phone numbers .. I think they treat each phone number as a different account, although there is a login in with google option in the grab app now.

I'm using my US t-mobile number this year, and set up grab again, which it assumed is a new account. Adding any credit card already in use by other grab accounts gets flagged by them and you lose the ability to use grab pay until you clear it up with them. You can still pay cash and use grab car/taxi, you just can't use grab pay or possibly can't use any card they flag this way in grab pay.

Wait times in town for grab car have been ridiculous.

-David
Both my and +1's account were blocked for unstated 'community standards' from using any promotions last year with no further explanation. Lost a 60THB and 70THB earned discounts because of it. While it could be because we both had the same CC in our accounts I'm not sure this is the problem as prior to doing this FAQs specifically addressed and allowed the action.

Moving forward we each set up new accounts with different phone numbers (which we already had) and burned down points on the old accounts. Uber was much more responsive in dealing with problems, CS, and catching second accounts by members; GRAB less so and screw them.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:50 pm

Not really the point of my post, however, it's no longer necessary. They can communicate via the app these days or use whatsapp, etc.

And as estnet noted above, what are you supposed to do when a non-english speaking Thai person calls and you aren't at a hotel and/or aren't with a Thai speaker?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with having a local Thai number is that if they call me I can't speak Thai! If you're at a hotel, though, often the door staff will call the Thai driver and communicate for you (they usually give u the drivers number)

Understood but the chances of communicating with a driver when you do not have a local number are zero. Having a local number, again "IDEALLY", makes it "possible". I didn't mean to imply it was required or necessary.

I didn't know one can "communicate" directly with a driver via "the Grab app"? IME, with more than one hundred journies using Grab, drivers often call, especially if they're lost. Even LINE Man food providers and delivery people call.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Understood but the chances of communicating with a driver when you do not have a local number are zero. Having a local number, again "IDEALLY", makes it "possible". I didn't mean to imply it was required or necessary.

I didn't know one can "communicate" directly with a driver via "the Grab app"? IME, with more than one hundred journies using Grab, drivers often call, especially if they're lost. Even LINE Man food providers and delivery people call.
Yes, you can message the driver through the app. It's like a self-contained text message within the app.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, you can message the driver through the app. It's like a self-contained text message within the app.
And the app also translates however the app does not handle calls, those are done outside of the app and are subject to phone company charges.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And the app also translates however the app does not handle calls, those are done outside of the app and are subject to phone company charges.
Really the app translates - and does it well? That is certainly good to know!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Really the app translates - and does it well? That is certainly good to know!
It's pretty hard to butcher "be there in 5 minutes" or the like. Typically google translate is awful with Thai however.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:01 am

It's pretty hard to butcher "be there in 5 minutes" or the like. Typically google translate is awful with Thai however.
Yes, that was my concern - things like "look for the turn just past the alley (#xx), into Tom's coffee, proceed through parking lot to the gate....... probably wouldn't survive google
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, that was my concern - things like "look for the turn just past the alley (#xx), into Tom's coffee, proceed through parking lot to the gate....... probably wouldn't survive google
I wouldn't use such a verbose set of directions if speaking directly to the driver.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:24 pm

I wouldn't use such a verbose set of directions if speaking directly to the driver.
Ahh, but if they can't see the turn without that b/c the entrance is so easy to miss..... but I get your point.
Was just commenting on the limits of a google translation using grab app if I don't have a Thai speaker handy
It's a quirk b/c of the specific location - when I am in the taxi I always have to tell (or point out) the turn into the property, but good to know for other locations that there is the option.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Both my and +1's account were blocked for unstated 'community standards' from using any promotions last year with no further explanation. Lost a 60THB and 70THB earned discounts because of it. While it could be because we both had the same CC in our accounts I'm not sure this is the problem as prior to doing this FAQs specifically addressed and allowed the action.

Moving forward we each set up new accounts with different phone numbers (which we already had) and burned down points on the old accounts. Uber was much more responsive in dealing with problems, CS, and catching second accounts by members; GRAB less so and screw them.
You lost 130 baht?
My math is a bit rusty...I keep showing that to be about $4 USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.