Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber in Chiang Rai

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/page/1/

Uber Chiang Rai is ready to serve.

Uber Arrives in Chiang Mai! Chiang Rai people are ready to chill out because Uber will start serving in Chiang Rai from March 10 onwards. Experience the journey to the next level of convenience, just open the app and enter the destination and press uberX is ready to go immediately. During the get-togetherness Uber discounts up to 75 baht for free, just enter the promotion code below. HELLOCR * Discount up to 75 Baht twice for new users. Only travel in Chiang Rai Promotion is valid from now until March 24, 2017. * uberX fares in Chiang Rai, fares start at Baht 20, fare per kilometer, Baht 3, fare per minute, Baht 2, minimum fares, Baht 25, fare We have a fare for you to travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai for 2,000 Baht. Service area [...]
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed a full MRT (subway) train covered with Uber advertising today. And a very aggressive driver recruiting effort at Fortune Town.

Sorry, taxis: Uber will not suspend services in Thailand

Uber has refused to comply with the government’s request to temporarily stop their popular services while the Ministry of Transport is conducting a study about ride-sharing apps.

Despite an intense crackdown on Uber drivers, the U.S. giant ride-sharing company says it will continue to operate in Thailand while it is in talks with the Thai government on how to make the services legal.

“At the meeting, Uber urged the government to amend the existing Motor Vehicle Act so that it allows for ridesharing in Thailand. Uber is pleased that the government agreed to conducting independent third party research into ride-sharing regulations and the benefits they bring to Thailand, ” said the statement by Amy Kunrojpanya, Uber’s Director of Policy and Communications, Asia Pacific.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/sor...ices-thailand/
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by transpac
Even though Uber announced this in February of 2016 I honestly didn't know about this "Cash Payment" option until today. Note that it is limited to Bangkok only.

฿angkok, now you can pay for your Uber rides with ca$h!

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/ubercashbkken/
You can pay with cash in many different Asian cities. I recall they are starting testing in some US cities, as well.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is the Uber ban only for BKK airport? or is it also for DMK?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Is the Uber ban only for BKK airport? or is it also for DMK?
There might be a "ban" on Uber at BKK but it isn't working very well. I took an Uber both to and from BKK last week, no problems whatsoever. Similarly, I doubt you'll have problems getting one from DMK either. (I just checked and the Uber price quote from Conrad Bangkok to DMK was 400 THB.)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

That's good, but I don't want to get in trouble some poor guy who will pick me up or drop me off at the airports.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bwiadca
That's good, but I don't want to get in trouble some poor guy who will pick me up or drop me off at the airports.
Uber has been pronounced by the government as illegal in the entire country of Thailand - not just at the airport(s).

It's still here and people still use Uber (and Grab). "Up to you", as the Thais say, as to whether you choose to use Uber or not.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:19 am

Just spent the last four days in Bangkok and - with one exception - Uber rides were much more expensive than simply taking a meter taxi. Meter taxi to BKK this morning was 295 thb on the meter; Uber wanted a flat rate of 675 thb.

All of my taxi rides in/around town were 50 thb or less on the meter; Uber consistently quoted ranges of 60-100 thb (most of these rides were between 7:00 and 8:00 pm.)

Definitely pays to compare if you have a choice in the matter.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
IME quoted rates for Uber were generally about twice as much as Grab - so I never took Uber Grab uses regular taxis and sometimes I paid about 25 baht extra - but I didn't have to be refused 10 times before I got someone to use the meter
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My general sense is that there are currently fewer Uber drivers so the supply is limited, and prices are higher. I've seen a sharp increase in the driver recruitment activities, perhaps to replace those who've been scared off by the authorities.

The last time I used Uber, ~ 7 days ago it took quite a while to get a car, ~ 30 minutes. Since then I've been using GrabTaxi, or GrabCar, which have been easier in those locations where I've needed a ride. I've gotten to know a GrabCar driver who lives in one area I frequent and I often message her first.

GrabTaxi's booking fee remains 25 baht (may now be 35 baht), which you add on to the meter reading (for an advance booking, like ordering a taxi for the next day, at an odd hour, might be 45 THB).

Edited to add: I just checked a GrabTaxi booking this AM and the booking fee is advised at 35 baht; not sure what's up with that? It was 25 baht three days ago. I guess you can add a "tip" if you encounter problems getting a taxi to bite, I've never had to do that.

Maybe more drivers have switched over to GrabCar?

Last edited by transpac; Apr 23, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Just spent the last four days in Bangkok and - with one exception - Uber rides were much more expensive than simply taking a meter taxi. Meter taxi to BKK this morning was 295 thb on the meter; Uber wanted a flat rate of 675 thb.

All of my taxi rides in/around town were 50 thb or less on the meter; Uber consistently quoted ranges of 60-100 thb (most of these rides were between 7:00 and 8:00 pm.)

Definitely pays to compare if you have a choice in the matter.
UBER had a promo for Songkran: 100 THB off trips to and from BKK. I always use UBER for BKK and DMK and prefer it from BKK as well, as it is usually more convenient, the about the same price or lower than a taxi (especially from the airports where there is the 50THB surcharge,) and nicer, safer cars and drivers. Last two trips we got new Toyota Camry's. Plus, it was 305THB from BKK to our apartment near On Nut, whereas the usual taxi fare was about 350 with the surcharge. Don't feel sorry for the taxi drivers, they are always full downstairs at the taxi level at BKK or the waiting room at DMK.

It's always 415THB from my apartment to BKK unless there is a shortage of UBER's available, so a little more than the taxi. This goes back to regular pricing with just a short wait, a few minutes. UBER picks up at BKK arrivals level at whatever exit door you select. And, they are there in no time.

Pickups at my apartment are a little slower, usually 10 to 15 minutes, but getting a taxi at my apartment usually involves a shuttle ride to the street, since it's a gated community. Even trips around town have been about what the taxi's charge, especially the ones that won't consider taking you for less that 100THB, sometimes 200THB is their minimum.

Haven't tried Grab but I'm happy with the UBER deal. Plus, I'm usually travelling and stay at an SPG property the first night, so the SPG points offered, though few, make up in part for any price difference.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber confident on legal clearance for services

UBER has expressed confidence that it can clear within five months the legal hurdles that have dogged its taxi-service operation in Thailand.

The Thai operation of the US-based company put out the timeline after its representatives met officials from the Department of Land Transport late last month.

Sirupa Jungsalat, general manager of Uber Thailand, said yesterday on the local operation’s third anniversary that the company was committed to continuing its business in Thailand, and that it expected its services would be covered by Thai regulations within five months. The company is due to meet transport officials for a follow-up meeting within two weeks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news...orate/30313332
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:01 pm

I'm less confident that Uber is going to be operating in Thailand for much longer. News article today quotes the Land Transport Department as continuing to denigrate both Uber and Grab for operating illegally. The taxi unions are in court trying to make it illegal for passengers to use Uber.

Up here in Chiang Mai, surge pricing has been in effect for the last 48 hours or so - no matter what time you try to book an Uber.

This is educated speculation but I suspect the pool of drivers willing to risk legal penalties to drive for Uber is shrinking, thus creating a supply shortage and, in turn, significantly raising prices. The tuk tuk and songtaew mafias continue to photograph drivers dropping off passengers and send the photos of the license plates to the police, who ticket the drivers based upon the photos (says something about the legal system.)

Uber doesn't appear to making any progress with the government to break the impasse wrt their local operations. Enjoy the option while you can.

Edit: (While GrabTaxi may be an option in Bangkok due to the low taxi prices, here in Chiang Mai if you try to order GrabTaxi you get a rate of 85-125 baht for a 2 km ride....about triple the cost of Uber and/or GrabCar.)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What's the difference between grabtaxi and grabcar?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Originally Posted by estnet
What's the difference between grabtaxi and grabcar?
My understanding is that GrabTaxi uses licensed taxis, GrabCar uses private cars. Similar in Bangkok Uber Black uses licensed limousines, Uber X uses private cars. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think GrabTaxi and Uber Black are illegal under the puzzling Thai laws. Many people, including media and officials, fail to make that distinction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.