FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Dinner and drinks with a view: Bangkok's best rooftop restaurants and bars (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1554846-dinner-drinks-view-bangkoks-best-rooftop-restaurants-bars.html)

cyberduck Feb 24, 2014 11:38 am

Dinner and drinks with a view: Bangkok's best rooftop restaurants and bars

Hi Folks,

I'm in Bangkok at the weekend and we are currently trying to choose the nicest restaurant for dinner, we would like a great view and of course, the meals should be good as well.

The Vertigo Grill (Rooftop at Banyan Tree) and Sirocco (Rooftop at Lebua State) are currently shortlisted.

Has someone been at either one of them? Or did we forget about a great choice with an unbelievable great view?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

Duck

aBroadAbroad Feb 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Both have good view but I like vertigo's environment better.

Both are merely average for food IMHO, particularly relative to the exhorbitant prices. We usually take visitors there for drinks and appetizers then move on to a better resto for dinner.

ctrlf Feb 25, 2014 1:36 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad (Post 22411597)
We usually take visitors there for drinks and appetizers then move on to a better resto for dinner.

I'd appreciate if you would kindly give some examples, thanks a lot!! ^

Dr. HFH Feb 25, 2014 6:06 am

Originally Posted by oberhammert (Post 22412052)

Examples of a better restaurant? I think that there's a thread for that, but here are two to get you started. Bo.lan on Suk Soi 26, and Naj Exquisite Thai Cuisine, with branches on Soi Convent and Suk Soi 33 (where it's called Oam Thong).

FlyerTalker683455 Feb 25, 2014 7:48 am

Originally Posted by cyberduck (Post 22408140)
Hi Folks,

I'm in Bangkok at the weekend and we are currently trying to choose the nicest restaurant for dinner, we would like a great view and of course, the meals should be good as well.

The Vertigo Grill (Rooftop at Banyan Tree) and Sirocco (Rooftop at Lebua State) are currently shortlisted.

Has someone been at either one of them? Or did we forget about a great choice with an unbelievable great view?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

Duck

Octave at Marriott Sukh 57 is pretty nice too

CrazyInteg Feb 25, 2014 8:27 am

Never been to Vertigo, but did go to Sirocco for drinks. I'm a tourist, so I did the riverboat dinner cruise, then walked to Sirocco for the most expensive drink I have ever had. Great view!

aBroadAbroad Feb 25, 2014 9:20 am

Originally Posted by oberhammert (Post 22412052)

What kind of food (local, Isaan, Japanese, Italian)? Price range? Setting (formal, casual, outdoors)? Location?

There are thousands of good-to-excellent eateries in Bangkok, and even more that are merely adequate. It's virtually impossible to respond to such a broad question.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 22412694)
Examples of a better restaurant? I think that there's a thread for that...

Yes, there is a lengthy and helpful thread that is worth checking:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...solidated.html

If you don't want to read through the whole thing, or if you find it too focused on Thai food, try searching within this forum for the characteristics that matter to you (e.g., type of food, location, etc.) — there are a number of stray threads that address certain specific interests such as burgers, sushi, etc.

whackyjacky Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm

For some strange reason I agree w/all the previous posts. Go up to Vertigo for drinks and eat elsewhere. If it must be a view restaurant try Long Table - http://www.longtablebangkok.com/

ctrlf Feb 27, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks a lot for your answert, the thread is perfect didn't see that ^

number_6 Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

The food and service/ambiance is quite good at all of the Lebua tower restaurants, the only issue is the cost -- Manhattan pricing! It costs 10x more than elsewhere in Bangkok, but you do get a lot of real estate (space between tables and view). Personally I think it is worth the cost, but ymmv. Ignoring price, you won't get better anywhere else in Bangkok.

eastnortheast Feb 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I agree with what seems to others on this thread. I enjoy all of the rooftop bars. I dont think you can go wrong at any of them. However, drinks there and eat somewhere else. Or reverse, go to a nice "ground level" restaurant and to the roof top bar for a nightcap (or three).

sparker10 May 15, 2014 3:24 am

Above Eleven restaurant in Bangkok. Any experiences?

Hi all,

I'm going to Thailand in just over a week and I have booked a table at Above Eleven, I wanted to have the whole 'rooftop restaurant/bar' experience at night to overlook the skyline - originally had planned the Ban Yaan river cruise but this is under maintenance when I go. I was just wondering if anyone has been and says it's good? The food is Peruvian and Japanese two combinations I really love! Would love to hear experiences if people have any.

Mchamp May 15, 2014 7:25 am

It's okay nothing really special about it I think. Just go with a bunch of friends and have fun! There are quite a plethora of rooftop bars around bkk, above 11 is middleish, definitely not the top. 35th floor is average in bkk.

Central worlds (Siam BTS or chidlom train stop) rooftop bar above the hotel and offices is quite nice on the 56th floor. Any questions feel free to pm me

sparker10 May 16, 2014 4:41 am

Thanks, we are also staying in the Muse Hotel for our second stint in Bangkok before flying home, and heard that has a nice bar too. I will check out Central Worlds thanks!

whackyjacky May 18, 2014 5:04 am

I'm kinda partial to Vertigo (Banyan Tree) & Sirocco (Lebua) for drinks since they're so much higher. Walking up the stairs to the bar level at Vertigo gives me a bit of the heebie-jeebies & I'm not at all acrophobic. Above 11 is way cooler though. We tried Octave (Marriott 57) last week & it definitely had some chic factor & a hip young crowd. We were digging it, until the thunderstorm blew all our drinks off the roof (hope they didn't hit anyone).