Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that rides will be free (from Samrong station to Kheha Samut Prakan station) for four months, and that no new train sets have been added (AFAIK, some are in country, no clue when they'll be deployed), one should expect some service disruptions and lengthy queues.

Green Line route opens Dec 6

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...te-opens-dec-6
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Given that rides will be free (from Samrong station to Kheha Samut Prakan station) for four months, and that no new train sets have been added (AFAIK, some are in country, no clue when they'll be deployed), one should expect some service disruptions and lengthy queues.

Green Line route opens Dec 6
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
A few updates since August:

BEM has ordered 35 new 3 car sets which will be delivered in 3 stages ;
1) 3 sets in late 2018,
As there are only 3 new sets of rolling stock (Siemens Inspiro built in Turkey) until the extra sets arrive in the first few months of 2019, the new extension will operate as a shuttle service with a 10 min frequency. (A shuttle was also used initially when the S9 & S10 stations ext opened).

Essentially, you will disembark at Samrong and then cross over to the other platform to board the Kheha Samut Prakhan bound train (and vice versa). I suspect that the shuttle will be in operation for at least 3 months and up to 6 months. It depends how quickly they clear the next shipments of rolling stock after they arrive in Feb.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pat.2000
Took a few photos of Lat Phrao Intersection recently and the layout is slightly different. Island platform I know but will there be three lines with the middle one terminating? Construction progress at the moment makes it look that way, I could be wrong as it was 3 weeks ago.

Would be useful to see a layout diagram
You are incorrect, only 2 lines, there is no 3rd line.

This BTS station (currently the working name is Lat Phrao Intersection) should open by mid 2019. It is currently scheduled for March/April 2019 but they won't make that deadline. The rest of the extension will then open in 2020. However, really they should be prioritsing opening the whole section up to Ratchayothin intersection next year.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
We're talking about the Sukhumvit line here, to be specific. (with the extension beyond Samrong set to open in December).

I don't recall seeing different length trains on the Sukhumvit lines and I wonder if the gates at the platforms are able to adapt to different length trains. Of course, I could be wrong.

-David
All BTS stations are built to accomodate eventual 6 car operations. As I've mentioned previously (see post Sept 2017), the BTS should have already moved to 5 car operations a couple of years ago given pax numbers, but they have chosen not to do that. They are always a few years behind in terms of the rollin stock orders rather than ordering ahead of time based on projected pax growth - profit over safety.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Progress of civil works for lines currently under construction (as of 30 Sept);

1) MRT Blue Line ext: 100% - S&E installation: 61%
2) BTS Northern ext: 79%
3) MRT Orange Line: 18.33%
4) MRT Pink line: 10.57% and
5) MRT Yellow line: 9.61%
6) SRT Dark Red Line: 97.94%
7) Tinky toy 2.2km Gold Line: approx 7%
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Is there a map of lines that are actually in operation? Unfortunately the unofficial maps do not distinguish between proposed/planned/under construction and operating.

AFAIK, only the Silom line with extension across the river and Sukhumvit lines (with extension south of the Bangna-Trat highway), MRTA line near Silom and going around to Chattuchat, the elevated line to the airport are in operation?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finding one, current, accurate, intelligible map may be a challenge.

https://www.transitbangkok.com/mrt.html (official MRT website seems 'down')

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/routemap.html

Airport Rail Link

I think you've listed everything except the purple line, which extends from Tao Poon (Bang Sue-MRT) northeast-ish to Khlong Bang Pai.

https://www.transitbangkok.com/lines...0Purple%20line

Recommend following the BTS on Twitter and LINE for service outage info. I get at least a few LINE messages per day, most outages seem brief-ish (10-minute delays, lasting for 15-30 minutes, with "power" often mentioned as a cause).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Is there a map of lines that are actually in operation? Unfortunately the unofficial maps do not distinguish between proposed/planned/under construction and operating.

AFAIK, only the Silom line with extension across the river and Sukhumvit lines (with extension south of the Bangna-Trat highway), MRTA line near Silom and going around to Chattuchat, the elevated line to the airport are in operation?
The BTS map is probably the easiest to use for general use. I'd avoid the transitbangkok site as there tends to be out of date info.

This map below done by Khun Pathawat should assist you for now. Faded lines are what is U/C. I'll do another full update soon and give dates on what is opening this year.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
All BTS stations are built to accomodate eventual 6 car operations. As I've mentioned previously (see post Sept 2017), the BTS should have already moved to 5 car operations a couple of years ago given pax numbers, but they have chosen not to do that. They are always a few years behind in terms of the rollin stock orders rather than ordering ahead of time based on projected pax growth - profit over safety.
New (extended) trains are long overdue
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I recommend Urban Rail
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I recommend Urban Rail

There's no shortage of maps here. That one's fine as far as it goes, but obviously not all those lines (Orange, Yellow, Dark Red, Light Purple, Pink) are operational, which seemed to be YVR Cockroach's primary concern?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transpac
There's no shortage of maps here. That one's fine as far as it goes, but obviously not all those lines (Orange, Yellow, Dark Red, Light Purple, Pink) are operational, which seemed to be YVR Cockroach's primary concern?
Segmented lines refer to ones not yet in operation...though I didn't realize the website lacked that info. Still, it's good about providing sources, and detailing what (and where) future lines are in store.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Segmented lines refer to ones not yet in operation...though I didn't realize the website lacked that info. Still, it's good about providing sources, and detailing what (and where) future lines are in store.
Urbanrail map is also very good and yes it makes it obvious what is under construction. It's a great site overall. The future line info is also very good but I'm completely biased in stating that......
Old May 30, 2019, 5:39 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Well the latest BTS ticketing update is a stuff up.

Previously there was a map with the cost of the fare to each station from the boarding station. You then pressed the button on the ticket machine with the fare you needed and inserted the money and out came the ticket.

Now you have to touch the screen, choose your language and then the station you want on a screen. This often requires you to enlarge the map and look for your station. It then shows the fare and asks how many people. Insert money and get your ticket. It arguably takes twice as long to go through the process,

Then touch the ticket rather than insert it through the machine. The map on the back is just an outline with no names on stations, so effectively useless.

On arrival insert ticket into machine and it is retained as previously.

The only positive change is that rather than just dispense change, the staff in the booth now sell tickets.

In all cases lines are longer and the trains seem fuller. Some BTS trains have had seats removed with leaning pads replacing them.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
^

Solution: Rabbit Card
Diplomatico and tvhead like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.