Search

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
OK, color me confused.

I think that:

The Sukhumvit BTS line (Mo Chit – Bearing) is commonly referred to as the Light Green Line

The Silom Line (National Stadium - Bang Wah) is commonly referred to as the Dark Green Line.

http://www.btsgroup.co.th/en/our_bus...ss_transit.php

BTSC is the sole concessionaire for the original Network of Bangkok’s Sky train system. The original Network comprises 23.5km of elevated trackwork and 23 stations built on a single column support structure and forming the Silom Line (dark green) and Sukhumvit Line (light green) which runs through the heart of Bangkok’s commercial, business and tourist districts.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-...rrent_new.aspx
I appreciate the effort that you have gone to and you are indeed correct.

My use of Dark Green and Light Green arise from old Master plans which have been used over the years

In the future, the plan is that the lines are going to be changed and The northern part of the Sukhumvit line will be changed to run into the current Silom line. The southern part will terminate west of the current National stadium once that extension is built.

Otherwise the Sukhumvit line will be some 65 stations long once all extensions are built! That may change if the mooted further extension (#25 in the list, currently under study) of the Silom line to Taling Chan gets approved
Old May 2, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

I think some of the maps Mr. Floyd pasted are also flawed, but maybe the first one in post # 4 is accurate? The map from “Archstudent” appears to be one which caused Mr. Floyd’s confusion?

While all this attention to details, like "tenders", may be fascinating to some, I suspect most here would appreciate an update on lines which might be opening in the relative near future?

That looks to be:

2) MRTA Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station
(to open in 2015)
(this is the subway)

5) BTS Dark, actually LIGHT Green line (Suk Line) Bearing to Paknam ext (MRTA): 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012, opens 2016)
(this is the sky-train but I think this section may be operated by the MRTA, which might hopefully result in a single-card option, finally.)

edited to add:

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (Opening 2017)
As at end of 2013 civil works construction were 85%complete.

According to an article in today's The Nation, Purple Line extension gives massive boost to land prices on Bangkok-Nonthaburi road , this line is currently planned to open 5 Dec 2015. This is an elevated train, which will enable transfers to the existing subway, aka the blue line, at Tao Poon (see #2 above).
The maps are fine, none are flawed. The 1st one is the BTSC one & the 3rd one is Master Plan map (with BTS Dark on Suk and Light on Silom) so not sure how that could be inaccurate??? The one problem with Archstudents map is that is shows the SRT Light Red line as being done between Bang Son and Bang Sue which is not complete. (This is not shown on the urbanrail map as technically it is a commuter line as urbanrail only shows metro lines)

In relation to opening dates there are posted in brackets in the list so you have the most recent updates there for your perusal.

The Purple line will NOT open on 5 Dec 2015 (the original schedule when construction started in early 2010 was early 2015 - an already delayed timetable). That date was changed after the late 2011 floods to 2016!!! Lol. You should know better than to source just one article - esp one about property prices - for info given the poor state of reporting in Thailand. I'm willing to bet my condo that the Purple line doesn't open in 2015. Do some more research and you'll find plenty of statements that the Purple Line is opening in 2017.
Purple Line deal agreed BMCL signs 30-year contract with MRTA, BKK Post 5 Sep 2013
Business Bangkok Metro Plc (BMCL), the SET-listed subway operator, expects construction of the Purple Line extension will be up and running 40 months from now, two years behind the original schedule of 2015. "The concession is expected to be completed within 40 months, but we hope it will be sooner than that," said executive chairman Plew Trivisvavet.
This line has been subjected to numerous delays and corruption allegations.
http://2bangkokforum.com/showthread....ruction/page10 . BMCL (the subway operator & the winner of the tender to operate the Purple Line) and MRTA both stated mid last year that it will open in 2017. The main reason for 2017 is that BMCL doesn't have the funds to open it earlier. However, we still hope for mid 2016. It all depends on how long it takes to install the E&S and whether the rolling stock is delivered on time. Hopefully that situation will change given the original timetable back in 09 was opening in early 2014!

As for the 1.2km ext of the Blue Line to Taopoon (and yes obviously that is an interchange station) it should open at least 1 year earlier than the Purple Line but at this stage the BMCL is not stating that it will. I recently asked an expat working on the project if it would and he stated that it was uncertain at this stage.

My guess based on past experience and all the info I have is that the Purple Line will open in early to mid 2017 and the 1.2km ext to Taopoon in mid to late 2016. However, we'll have a much better idea by this time next year.
You can see some comments I made last year on the issue elsewhere (#243), http://2bangkokforum.com/showthread....ruction/page17

The other issue connected to this is that the Blue Line extension was originally meant to open in mid 2016. That was then also pushed back to 2017 after the 2011 floods. However, construction is proceeding smoothly on that ext and it may well be that the NW section along Charan Sanitwong rd could open in late 2016. Again, we have to wait and see how it progresses.

No new metro ext in BKK has opened on time. Delays have ranged from 4yrs (WWY) to 2yrs (Bearing) to 1 year (Bang Wah) for each extension. I hope that clears up some of your confusion that you gained from reading an article with incorrect info?
Old May 2, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate the effort that you have gone to and you are indeed correct.
No real effort, it's just that your constant, albeit mistakenly consistent, misuse of the terms "light green" and "dark green" to refer to the Silom and Sukhumvit lines today, confused me, and and I'm sure confused others.

Like I said, I am fairly certain the posted map from Archstudent is similarly flawed.

It would be worse on ThaiVisa, where that strident and pedantic lady, LakeGeneve, would have lambasted you no end.

I hope that clears up some of your confusion that you gained from reading an article with incorrect info?
Yes, absolutely. I had no idea that the information contained in the article was incorrect until you said as much with your thoughtful response.

Last edited by transpac; May 2, 2014 at 5:08 am
Old May 2, 2014, 6:20 am
Original Poster

No real effort, it's just that your constant, albeit mistakenly consistent, misuse of the terms "light green" and "dark green" to refer to the Silom and Sukhumvit lines today, confused me, and and I'm sure confused others.

Like I said, I am fairly certain the posted map from Archstudent is similarly flawed.

It would be worse on ThaiVisa, where that strident and pedantic lady, LakeGeneve, would have lambasted you no end.
Well I'm not so sure that there there has been much confusion given that both lines are listed as with the more common reference as you say of Silom and Sukhumvit lines. eg.
BTS Light Green Line (Silom line) from Talat Phlu (S10) to Bang Wah
BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line south from Paknam to Bang Pu

Can you pls specify the flaw in the maps as you originally stated? Esp. Archstudents map one which you seem certain is flawed - in what way exactly? I'm sure that he'd love to have it pointed out given the time he probably put into it.

I suspect Lakegeneve would have given a most gentle spanking like any pedantic lady! Some people do enjoy such things.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Can you pls specify the flaw in the maps as you originally stated? Esp. Archstudents map one which you seem certain is flawed - in what way exactly?
It has been over a week now. Have you found any of those stated flaws in the maps??? Cheers
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:22 am
Original Poster

For those that are interested the much delayed tender for the BTS ext north from Mo Chit to Kho Khut is now has a new deadline of 30 September. The intention is that construction will start by early 2015. (This ext was originally due to OPEN in 2008!)

For other lines after some delay, review of previous plans and confusion the junta has stated that they will fund the following;

1. BTS Green Line: Mochit - Saphan mai - Khoo Khot. 58.878 Billion Baht
2. MRTA Pink Monorail: Kae Rai - Chaeng Watthana - Ram Indra - Minburi. 58.303 Billion
3. MRTA Orange Line Subway: Thailand Cultural center - Minburi (Phase 1). 110.325 Billion
4. MRTA Yellow Monorail: Lad Phrao - Sri Nakharin - Thepharak - Samrong at 56.110 Billion
5. SRT Dark Red line extension: Rangsit to Thammsart University. 5.447 Billion
6. SRTET Airport Link extension: Phayathai to Donmueang via Bangsue central at 28.440 Billion
7. SRT Light/Dark Red Red line extension: Bangsue to Hua Lamphong and Bangsue to Hua Mark via Phayathai. 44.712 Billion

There really is not much change to what was the previous plans, just that the timetable has been delayed by 12-15 months due to the political turmoil and subsequent coup.

The BTSC has put out this little graphic as an update (though none of these projects actually have anything to do with the BTSC). The MRTA is currently stating that they may run the bearing to Paknam ext thus marginalising the BTSC.

Right now this is my guess of what may happen in the coming 2 yrs is as below. However, I am speculating with some lines until firmer info is available. The first 3 look the most advanced to proceed until the MRTA selects a monorail supplier for (4) & (5).

1) BTS Light Green line ext (new deadline is 30 Sept - refers to previous posts)
Late 2014/early 2015
2) Orange Line
3) ARL ext
Mid 2015
4) Pink Line
5) Yellow Line (Phase 1)
Early 2016
6) Dark Red line ext north
7) Light Red line ext - cancel the stupid thing

By early 2016 the MRTA should also be tendering;
8) Purple Line southern ext
9) Blue Line west extension (Assuming that it is approved)

On the BMA side we may have;
10) BTS Dark Green line ext from Bang Wah to Taling Chan (under study) - mid to late 2015 tender?
11) BMA Grey line (under study - late 2015 to early 2016 tender?

If half of #1-#6 happens by the end of the term of the NCPO (current parliament) before the Oct 2015 elections, then we will be doing very well.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, I don't think they can open the Chinatown stations soon enough...

Gotta give 'em some credit for staying after it, seeing that here in Atlanta with even more resources available they haven't added a track-mile since 2000. Given all the money spent on building or maintaining roads there's no excuse that the money isn't there. ATL was ahead of similar size cities back in the 70s and early 80s, but the sprawl continued and there was so serious attempt to rein that in or keep up with it, and it's the same story in other U.S. sprawler cities. Neglect or sabotage something and then say it doesn't work.

With BKK you can already see a bottleneck at the inner stations as more people are fed into the system and trains get more crowded. As much of the expansion will pull even more people from Thon Buri, Samut Prakan, etc., one wonders whether they've thought through the throughput issues.

For tourists it also may not be such a great thing to have so many more people + outlying destinations that aren't of great interest. Not that serving tourists is the #1 goal (though it seemed that way back when it was easier to get a seat).
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
The last post is 5 months old. An update would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
http://2bangkok.com/category/mass-transit
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:35 am
Original Poster

A much belated update to the previous summary posted in Feb 2014...

BANGKOK METRO & SUBURBAN NETWORK - SUMMARY LIST

A) RECENTLY OPENED:
1) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (6 August 2016) http://www.mrta-purpleline.com

B ) LINES/EXTS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
2) MRTA Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station
(to open by Sept 2017???)
3) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext: (Opening late 2018/2019 – civil works progress 46%)
a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km, 7 elevated stations,
b ) Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km , 7 elevated & 4 underground stations.
4) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line) Bearing to Paknam ext (MRTA): 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012) - civil works progress 88%.
a) 1st stage (Bearing to Samrong) opens May/June 2017.
b) 2nd stage late 2018
5) SRT Dark Red Line suburban line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations* (Started March 2013, opens 2019/20 - civil works progress 68%).
*SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric.
6) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE and S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line extension and both SRT Red Lines.
(Construction started May 2014, opening 2019/20 - civil works progress 47%).
7) BTS Dark Green line (northern ext) (Original completion date was 2008!).
a) Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext ( MRTA): 11.4km, 11 stations,
b ) Saphan Mai to Kukot/Lam Lukka rd: 6.8km, 5 stations .
(Construction started late 2015, opening in 2019 - civil works progress 9%). Website: http://www.mrta-greenline.net/

C ) LINES RECENTLY TENDERED/BIDS AWARDED:

8) MRTA Orange Line: 36km, 29 stations (22 underground, 7 elevated) - . Phase 1 TCC (current Thai Cultural Center station) to Minburi (4-5 year construction).
9) MRTA Pink Line (monorail): Khae Rai intersection to Miniburi via Pakred, Chaeng Wattana & Ram Inthra 36km, 30 stations. (should be heavy rail). http://www.mrta.co.th/pinkline/index.html
10) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail): 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 1 Latphrao to Hua Mark. (was previously heavy rail underground) http://www.mrta-yellowline.com/

Note: for all 3 tenders the MRTA is negotiating with the winning bidders the final contract price for the next few months

D) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2017/18
11) Airport Rail Link (ARL) extension from Phayathai to Bangsue to Don Meaung (DMK): 21.8km, 5 stations
12) Purple Line ext south. Taopoon to WWY then to Ratburna: 23.6 km. 17 stations (12.6km 10 stations underground, 11km 7 stations elevated)
13) SRT Dark Red Line north ext suburban line from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni: 8.5kms, 4 stations
14) Blue Line west ext to Phutthamonthon sai 4: 8km, 4 stations elevated
15) SRT Light Red line extension: Taling Chan to Salaya, 12km, 5 stations *SRT Light Red is metre gauge, diesel.
16) MRTA Grey Monorail Line: 26km, 21 stations. Rama 9 Bridge to Kaset-Nawamin/Ram Inthra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Grey_Line
E) NEXT BATCH OF LINES/EXTs (2020>) - assuming that all goes well in the next 2-3 years
17) MRTA Yellow Line (Monorail) Phase 2: 30.4km, 21 stations. Phase 2 Hua Mark to Samrong.
18) Orange Line Phase 2, west section: From TCC to Bang Khunnon (Charan Sawitwong rd)
19) SRT Light Red Line spur line from Taling Chan to Thonburi station (Siraj) – duplicates the Orange line so it would more sensible to just extend the Orange line to Taling Chan.
20) BTS Light Green (Silom Line) west: 1-2 station ext west from National Stadium to Krung Kasem rd to link with the future SRT Dark Red Line.
21) SRT Dark Red Line south ext: 59 km, 22 stations
a) Bang Sue to Hualumphong to Wong Wian Yai, 7 stations
b ) WWY to Mahachai, 15 stations
22) SRT Light Red ext from Bang Sue to Hua Mark, 7 stations (duplicates the ARL line)

F) THEREAFTER OR UNDER STUDY (2025 >)
23) Brown Monorail Line: 20.5km, 21 stations. Monorail Khae Rai intersection along Ngam Wong Wan, Kaset-Namawin to Beung Kum, Minburi (currently under study by OTP)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_Brown_Line24) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line south from Paknam to Bang Pu: 4 stations (planned)
25) BTS Light Green (Silom) line from Bang Wah to Taling Chan: 7km, 6 stations (still being evaluated by the BMA)
26) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) line north ext: from Kukot to Outer Ring rd, 4 stations (planned)
27) MRTA Purple Line north ext : 4.5km ext to Sai Noi intersection (being evaluated by Nonthaburi province).
28) BTS Dark Green (Sukhumvit) spur line from Udom Suk to Central Bang Na & BKK Airport (planned)
29) MRTA Light Blue Line: 9.5km, 9 stations. Monorail. Sathon to Pracha Songkhro. (TBC)

G) Future monorails?
30) Bang Sue Railyard redevelopment monorail loop
31) Makkasan Railyard redevelopment monorail loop
33) Samut Prakhan monorail line: Paknam to BKK Airport (Under study)
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

A couple of useful graphics from the BTS Group ;

Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:42 am
Original Poster

And the Maps;

Current:

Current and under construction:

Future:

Timeline map of openings:
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

This is only a summary and all is subject to change. Politics, dysfunction and a lack of coordination abounds in the implementation of mass transit policy and projects.

Please note that numbers only refer to projects/lines or expected extensions loosely based on future plans - numbers have nothing to do with the MOT/OTP master plan.

A few issues to note;

1) The contractors for the Dark Red Line and new Bang Sue Terminal have requested for extensions to the completion date of between 1 to 3 years respectively. The Terminal really needs to open to make both the SRT suburban Red Lines viable. Added is the delay with the ARL extension to DMK and the issue of the Light Red extension to Hua Mark.

2) There are a bunch of new monorail proposals which I have not included, eg Gold Line on the west bank of the river to link the BTS and Purple lines. Aside from the MRTA lines, I have only included the 3 proposals listed at the end which have been around for many years.

3) The Orange, Pink and Yellow lines are all slated to begin construction in the 1st half of 2017 now that the tenders have been awarded. For the Orange a 2nd quarter start date seems realistic.

For the Yellow and Pink monorail lines expect delays, I'd be surprised if construction starts before the end of 2017.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:04 am

Nice update .. thank you

-David
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
From a tourism perspective it'd be really nice if they could open the Chinatown stations...I've seen the holes in the ground and construction work disrupting traffic.

Much of the rest serves locals in outlying areas. We're already seeing how that adds to total volume and causes even more of a crush in the inner stations...have they planned for that? It took seemingly forever for BTS to start running trains longer than 3 cars, and the platforms are only so long and are a limitation. In other places like Singapore you see everything running at platform-length in rush hour, while in Santiago, Chile, on the busiest line they run platform length AND every 30-40 seconds in peak rush hour. How much capacity are they prepared to handle in Bangkok as they connect more suburban areas and more people have access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.