Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok's Metro network - expansion plans & updates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Bang Sue-Rangsit, so nine stations, October, 2020. But that's dependent on work at the big Bang Sue terminal, and delivery of Hitachi rolling stock (previewed in Japan already). So maybe 1H2021?

I think they may (ultimately) offer Express service from Bang Sue to DMK, who knows?

A transfer from the SARL - subway - dark red line for a transfer between the airports looks to be painful.
The SRT Dark Red line is an all stop commuter line so there will be no Express Services.

The new Eastern HSR line will provide an express service as an extended ARL (it will take over the ARL) and the first part of the line to be constructed will be the section from Phaya Thai to DMK via Bang Sue.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Richard Barrow was invited along to preview the new stations a couple of weeks ago and posted about them on his social media channels. Looks very nice indeed. But I'm glad I don't have to clean those light fixtures
These stations have essentially been finished for the last 18-24 months. The original opening date for the whole extension was late 2016 and evening taking into account the delay of the 3 months from the 2011 floods and usual 12 month delay, this really is a big delay.

The reason why the big delay in opening this part of the extension, and indeed a change in plans from the previous early August full opening with the now 2 month shuttle service limited operations, is that BEM (the operator) doesn't have enough new rolling stock to open a full service.

The shuttle service will only need 3-4 sets of rolling stock and they currently have 7-8 new sets. They need to wait until the end of Sept by which another 10 sets will have been delivered and then they can operate a through service for normal operating hours.

It's a big stuff up on the operators part as they order the new trains very late (large revenue loss for delayed opening). When one thinks that BMCL/BEM was originally due to purchase new rolling stock in 2008 but then had to defer due to debt restructuring, it really is years of poor fleet management with apparently no consequences from the MRTA (the owner). The MRT Blue line has been overcrowded at peak hours for years and the need for new rolling stock became pressing about 5 years ago. In that time, BMCL/BEM was awarded the tender to run the MRT Purple line (and bought new trains) and subsequently awarded to operate this extension.
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:54 am

Did somebody say rolling stock? The light at the end of the tunnel would be for the light to be blocked by a train in the tunnel.
A bit off topic but check out all these trains just waiting to be used for the Chengdu metro : https://photo.scol.com.cn/img/image/...43405_6928.jpg
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Nice pic Crazyinteg, interesting.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Nice pic Crazyinteg, interesting.
Somebody posted that over on another forum (SSC) and I also thought it was interesting. Just wish Bangkok had their trains loaded on a ship already, but they will be here soon!
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Somebody posted that over on another forum (SSC) and I also thought it was interesting. Just wish Bangkok had their trains loaded on a ship already, but they will be here soon!
I thought the same thing when I opened your photo. All of those stunning new stock waiting to roll out, and we're still jamming into 4 carriage cars on the BTS in Bangkok (I am just back to Bangkok today, quick trip over from Yangon).
Yangon's rail network is currently undergoing a major upgrade (and inter-city lines up country also). Whenever I think of the Bangkok system, I soon realise its still years ahead of Myanmar's rail network.
(off topic sorry)
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:43 pm

Quick Tips on how to take the MRT to Chinatown and the Grand Palace ? Richard Barrow in Thailand

I wish there was a larger, more readable version of the map in the article.

-David
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I wish there was a larger, more readable version of the map in the article.
Do you have a specific question? Numerous people on this website should be able to answer your questions.

These maps?
https://metro.bemplc.co.th/Line-Maps?Line=1&Station=29

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Jul 29, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Do you have a specific question? Numerous people on this website should be able to answer your questions.

These maps?
https://metro.bemplc.co.th/Line-Maps?Line=1&Station=29

Can also toggle to English...

https://metro.bemplc.co.th/Line-Maps...ion=29&lang=en

These are the maps that are in the stations.

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mrt_app&hl=th

FB: https://www.facebook.com/BEM.MRT

Gazillions of maps, some have been linked in this thread.

That station, Wat Mangkon, is pretty cool. Good access to Yoawarat, and interesting above-ground architecture. I walked by it a few months ago and it took me a while to figure out it was an MRT station.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...t-of-chinatown
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:58 pm

I know where to find maps in general (but thank you), but I haven't seen "the map in the article" previously and it's kind of small. It's not overly complicated, clearly delineates lines not yet in existence, etc. But on the other hand, it's missing some details of other lines.

https://i2.wp.com/www.richardbarrow....4528.jpg?w=800

Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but I haven't seen "the map in the article" previously

The obvious solution would be to ask Richard Barrow?

I imagine he got the map from a Thai forum, like skyscrapercity, or FB and edited to illustrate the blue line extensions?

There are new maps up in the MRT stations showing blue line loop, from Tha Phra to Bang Sue.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
I imagine he got the map from a Thai forum, like skyscrapercity, or FB and edited to illustrate the blue line extensions?

There are new maps up in the MRT stations showing blue line loop, from Tha Phra to Bang Sue.
The above map is one of the new BEM maps installed in all MRT stations. You can tell by the fact that it has removable sticker covers for when new lines open.

One thing, it is important to remember that this is only a limited service, free trial period of only 6 hours a day. The extension is really not considered open in such circumstances.

The hope is that MRTA and BEM might expand the hours due to pax demand after a few weeks to something more like 7/8am to 6pm. With the same 8 min headway they can still do that with only 3-4 sets that they are using.

We have to wait and see. This limited trail service if already a change from the staggered opening plan of 1 month ago so these limited hours might also change.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Went yesterday from Sukhimvit to Chinatown on the Metro. Second day of operation on the extension. It was the regular Metro to Hua Lamphong, then transfer across the platform to the extension. The train to Hua Lamphong was far more crowded than usual and the Chinatown Station was quite crowded with many people taking pictures of the art on the walls. It’s certainly not a sterile looking Metro station. There were also Metro employees on the Hua Lamphong platform and at the station level at Chinatown to direct people.

Appears to be a pretty good rollout of the new service.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
3) BTS Sukhumvit Line North extension openings
Phase 1: 12 August Mo Chit to Ha Yaek Lat Phrao (1 station)
Phase 2: December 2019 (TBC) Ha Yaek Lat Phrao to Sen Nikom
Phase 3: rest of the line to Ku Kot late 2020
Mo Chit to Ha Yaek Lat Phrao (1 station) will now open a little earlier from 3pm this Friday 9 August. It will be free at least until Dec.

The PM is doing the opening ceremony at 12pm so it might actually open before 3pm if they clear out earlier. Just don't expect to be using it in the morning!

BTSC has 16 of the 22 new Siemens Inspiro sets delivered and operational so no problems with operating this and the December opening. (Only 3 of the 24 Chinese sets have been delivered but they will be mainly needed for the 2020 opening to Ku Kot in late 2020.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
A couple of changes.....

2) MRT Blue Line ext openings - trial runs in July
Phase 1: 29 July - Hualumphong to Tha Pra,
10 am - 4pm shuttle operations at 8 min headway (No Through Service)
Free until 28 Sept. when full operations should begin.
As previously mentioned, the hope was that the trial operations of 6 hrs a day would be extended after 2-3 weeks.

Thus, from Tuesday 13 August the MRT Blue Line ext free shuttle service to Tha Phra will be operate from 7am to 9pm!.
LIH Prem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.