Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Visiting Thailand next week?

Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Hey there,
I'm looking to get away for a little while (about 2 weeks), and would like to spend it in Southeast Asia where I can have luxury for cheap, basically. I found a very reasonably priced ticket to Bangkok with TK in C that I was considering booking.

I am however a little bit nervous given what is going on in the city. The purpose of my vacation is basically literally to get a tan, eat good food, relax, get massages (with NO happy endings) - basically, just take it easy.

I wanted to see whether A) this is still feasible in BKK, B) if KUL could be a better alternative given whats going on? and lastly C) maybe fly into BKK and book another flight to some other city?

Would love your help.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Neither KUL nor BKK are good for getting a tan. It's a polluted concrete jungle.

Flying to BKK on TK C is enjoyable though.

I would book a connecting flight from BKK to Krabi and holiday there in some beach resort for tanning, food and massage.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:47 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
You sound a bit nervous about what is happening in BKK with good reason.

Suggest you look for another place to holiday not in Thailand.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:19 am

Tan, eat good food, massages, and basically just relax? I would head to a beach destination. As a bonus, I don't think there are any protestors at Thai beaches.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:18 pm

Langkawi, Malaysia

Rated in the top ten best beaches in the world.

http://www.langkawi.com.my/
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DamonA
Hey there,
I'm looking to get away for a little while (about 2 weeks), and would like to spend it in Southeast Asia where I can have luxury for cheap, basically. I found a very reasonably priced ticket to Bangkok with TK in C that I was considering booking.

I am however a little bit nervous given what is going on in the city. The purpose of my vacation is basically literally to get a tan, eat good food, relax, get massages (with NO happy endings) - basically, just take it easy.

I wanted to see whether A) this is still feasible in BKK, B) if KUL could be a better alternative given whats going on? and lastly C) maybe fly into BKK and book another flight to some other city?

Would love your help.
Not sure where you will get a tan in Bangkok. Bangkok is fine and safe, even with the protests. But you're better of connecting in Bangkok to Pattaya or Phuket or somewhere with a beach if that's what you're looking for.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DamonA
The purpose of my vacation is basically literally to get a tan, eat good food, relax, get massages...I wanted to see whether A) this is still feasible in BKK, B) if KUL could be a better alternative given whats going on? and lastly C) maybe fly into BKK and book another flight to some other city?
If you are comfortable with a bit of risk (in my opinion, not a lot, but every person's tolerance is different), then Bangkok could still be a good option.

Might help to know what accommodations you'd be choosing. Location could be a factor in your decision. And, snark aside, there are plenty of opps to get a bit of color in Bangkok, especially at this time of year. It's just a matter your preferred means of going about it, and the property you'd be staying.

Otherwise, if being there makes you too nervous, and if the option of connecting on to another destination is reasonable, then doing that might make for a more relaxed trip.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
you can easily avoid the protests, just ask at hotel before leaving and most are staying updated on areas to avoid daily. I was there in December and had no problems. I will be back again in March and am not worried, but I typically only spend 1-2 nights in BKK and then head down to Pattaya.
I love Pattaya and it is much cheaper than BKK. It is the sex capital of world, but you do not have to partake if you do not want...many families and such that visit there also. Beach is not real clean for swimming, but nice to hang out and get a tan if you wish.
Phuket is also very nice and you can get a cheap connection down there, but is a little more on the pricey side

Last edited by skibum7732; Jan 29, 2014 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:02 am

If you do want to stay in Bangkok then I would recommend the Amari Boulevard on Sukhumvit soi 5, they have a nice pool area and you get the sun from 7am

Please be aware that not all pool areas get the sun until maybe midday due to the high rise buildings surrounding...

Personally I would recommend flying out to Krabi or Koh Samui..

Good Luck
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Umm...no one has mentioned to OP that if he sits by the pool in a hotel in Central BKK...the water is kinda cold. My kids have mandatory swim lessons at school and it's pretty cold. Maybe adult can withstand it. No one is swimming in our building these days. Better to fly into Krabi. IMO Pattaya is kinda icky but to each his own.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:49 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Hvr
You sound a bit nervous about what is happening in BKK with good reason.

Suggest you look for another place to holiday not in Thailand.
The OP is asking about visiting Thailand. There is no reason to go through Bangkok at all.

You can fly right into Phuket airport right now from most parts of the world. Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Khao Lak are all within a short distance of the airport.

I just had family fly in from the DC area. It was a one connection flight from America to Phuket.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Shootings have occurred at Laksi intersection in Bangkok. Richard Barrow is suggesting that with both sides armed, tourists stay in tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 2).
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:21 am

Good new thread, hopefully it won't wonder into other topics.

The Mrs. arrived Bkk Friday and she said Wireless Rd traffic virtually non-existent. Walked over to Conrad complex and the place was empty. I told her to stay off the main streets Sunday - it's still Lunar New Year in Asia so she'll probably visit with friends at their home.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:52 am

Going to be arriving later in the evening next Sunday.......unfortunately need to land in Bangkok as we are heading to Hua Hin - I think all should be good in that area. We are heading back into Bangkok on the 14th for a few days staying at the 4Points - how is that location? We will have all day Saturday so not sure what to do. We are thinking of visiting the monstrous market ( chatachuk or something - I also wouldn't mind visiting the snake farm exhibits and maybe take a klong ride.....not sure if I spelt all these correctly but will these be tough to do if the streets are packed and blocked??
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by dtsm
Good new thread, hopefully it won't wonder into other topics.

The Mrs. arrived Bkk Friday and she said Wireless Rd traffic virtually non-existent. Walked over to Conrad complex and the place was empty. I told her to stay off the main streets Sunday - it's still Lunar New Year in Asia so she'll probably visit with friends at their home.
My husband and I call it the "bubble". From Soi 11 to Ploenchit and Wireless it's pretty good. I drive everyday this route and past Rama 4. Btw- fri night it was basically "dead" except at protest sites. My husband said the number of vendors who are typically out aren't set up. I'm sure she'll be fine with friends here too. If register with U.S. Embassy she can get alerts, updates and number in case of emergency. Just saying.

Last edited by mkbkk1; Feb 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.