Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lθse-majestι, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
No clue what things will be like in Feb. I'm passing through mid and late Jan and monitoring closely but hard to say as everything is quite fluid. Others who live there may have more insights.

Re the following

Also, what major hotels are in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok??

That seems to be the area everybody keeps talking about? Is it near the airport, or the river, or patpong?
Sukhumvit area is about 40 mins from the airport. There are quite a few hotels there in every price range. Easy access to shopping, malls, BTS, food, entertainment, etc. I've stayed by the river and other places but Sukhumvit generally. Check out sites like tripadvisor or agoda for hotel options.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:14 am

Thanks samplat. I'm staying at the Peninsula and the MO by the river but don't know the "areas" of Bangkok to know if that's where the protests are.

I just checked as you suggested and it seems the Sukhumvit area is home to all the US chain hotels - a bunch of Marriotts, Hiltons and a lot of others. I guess that's why the protests are in that are....(?)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lottaquestions
I just checked as you suggested and it seems the Sukhumvit area is home to all the US chain hotels - a bunch of Marriotts, Hiltons and a lot of others. I guess that's why the protests are in that are....(?)
Of course, Suthep and his minions want to harm the financial well being of hotel chains...

Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Of course, Suthep and his minions want to harm the financial well being of hotel chains...

No, they want to circumvent democracy but that's neither here nor there, apparently.

If you read the latest articles in the Bangkok post, CNN, BBC, etc., the effect that the protests are having is indeed starting to have a negative economic impact on tourism and that would include hotel chains.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:45 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
My husband and I land late on Feb 8 - I plan to watch TH twitter feeds verrrry closely that week. We may just barricade ourselves in our hotel in Sathorn if necessary.

We are lucky in that we only have 2 nights in BKK and then depart for a cycling tour down the coast (www.grasshopperadventures.com - highly recommended). So we are (for now) not too concerned.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:49 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Exclamation Updated link/info for posting at top of page

Everything You Need to Know About the Bangkok Shutdown

”Bangkok Shutdown” will start on Monday 13th January from 9 a.m. and could last as long as 5-20 days. Targets include Victory Monument, Lad Prao Intersection, Phatumwan Intersection (MBK/Siam), Ratchprasong Intersection (Central World) & Sala Daeng Intersection (Silom). They have promised not to disrupt the buses, skytrain or subway and will stay away from the airports. There will be a mini protest march to drum up support on 5th January to maybe Asoke or Silom. Possibly the following day too. Scroll down for map of route
See this page for list of intersections, map, and many more details: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01...gkok-shutdown/
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No, they want to circumvent democracy but that's neither here nor there, apparently.

If you read the latest articles in the Bangkok post, CNN, BBC, etc., the effect that the protests are having is indeed starting to have a negative economic impact on tourism and that would include hotel chains.
Oh please. Thailand is a democracy in name only and that's clearly good enough for western tastes. But what good are these sham democracies when the rule of law doesn't apply to sufficient numbers?

Again, I am not a fan of Suthep (which you seem to have a problem understanding) however the current system is not working.

Further having an effect on tourism is an effect but not a target. The former you stated previously and I took exception to, the latter is obvious but completely different than the former.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:20 am

Bangkok shutdown keeps getting smaller , but if they do what they say and let buses and Taxis pass then it will be not that bad getting around ,

When they were walking thru Chinatown Sunday all the buses + taxis were stuck behind the protestors and had to find ways around them.....
I ended up walking over to the MRT underground and taking that ,

To get around town try and understand where the MRT and skytrain go , and then take local transport ,

This is really the only way to get around this huge city !
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Bangkok shutdown keeps getting smaller !
It doesn't start until the 13th.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:00 pm

Dont be such a sissy. Walk it off
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Update from BKK: police have the area saturated and no sign of protestors here

Per my taxi driver, access roads to Don M was shutdown about an hour ago by protestors. I do not know if this is true (nothing on Bangkok Post website yet) but wanted to post anyway

Be safe out there. It was a bit tense in Bangkok last night. Thankfully I'm boarding DL 284 to Narita in about 30 minutes.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Damn, have a 1 day+ stop in BKK next week and staying at the Four Seasons, it's right in between 2 intersection shutdowns. Should I rebook:
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: Delta
Where else to catch a minibus to Hua Hin?

Does anyone know if the Victory monument is closed? If it is, where else would I catch a minibus to Hua Hin?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amolkold
Damn, have a 1 day+ stop in BKK next week and staying at the Four Seasons, it's right in between 2 intersection shutdowns. Should I rebook:
There has been no problem for cars/taxi's in getting there so far.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lkelly1324
Does anyone know if the Victory monument is closed? If it is, where else would I catch a minibus to Hua Hin?
Not much traffic can get there... I assume the minibusses have gone to an alternative location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.