Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Where to watch the EURO soccer publicly..

Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)

... in Bangkok?

Goming back soon, but with a 02.45am kick-off time unlikely?

If not, is any Thai or Int´l channel available? Ideas?

Thx,

F.R.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you asking about Group round games? Or knock-out games?

It seems like many Sports Bar-type places are showing current the Group 1:45 AM games, either via satellite (with English-language commentary) or via the local license holder: GMM/Grammy with Thai commentary.

I noticed a huge new sports bar on Sukhumvit, ~ soi 9-ish, which has huge signs saying they are showing Euro 2012.

Maybe just Google "Sports Bars Bangkok" and grind through the links/websites?

Obviously a bit outside of the tourist areas the police enforcement of opening hours is lax.

And in the area between Siam Paragon and Siam Discovery there is a large tent in a beer garden type set-up, with a huge screen and signs say they are showing the games.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
I noticed a huge new sports bar on Sukhumvit, ~ soi 9-ish, which has huge signs saying they are showing Euro 2012..
This bar opened up the week before last, it is called The Game. Located at street level of the City Lodge Hotel Suk soi 9 as you mention.

For the OP, you won't have a problem finding somewhere to watch either publicly or privately (broadcast on Ch 3). Obviously, if you want english commentary major pubs are the go.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you two! So I´ll be off to Sukhumvit for the semi-finals and the final.

F.R.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
For the OP, you won't have a problem finding somewhere to watch either publicly or privately (broadcast on Ch 3). Obviously, if you want english commentary major pubs are the go.

I confess I haven't followed this controversy but believe Euro 2012 games are shown on local Thai Channel 3 (with Thai commentary) but only over the air. I know that as a Truevisions (cable or satellite) customer these broadcasts are blacked out, and not available to me. I think GMM and True were trying to broker a deal which would allow True to show Ch. 3, but do not believe they've reached an agreement. Additionally, while not an issue for the OP, Ch. 3 can only show one game at a time so an issue during the group stage when there are often two games at the same time (01:45).

Germany v. Greece should be an interested match.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I confess I haven't followed this controversy but believe Euro 2012 games are shown on local Thai Channel 3 (with Thai commentary) but only over the air. I know that as a Truevisions (cable or satellite) customer these broadcasts are blacked out, and not available to me. I think GMM and True were trying to broker a deal which would allow True to show Ch. 3, but do not believe they've reached an agreement. Additionally, while not an issue for the OP, Ch. 3 can only show one game at a time so an issue during the group stage when there are often two games at the same time (01:45).

Germany v. Greece should be an interested match.
All remaining games, from the third round of the group stage on, will be shown at 1:45AM BKK time. After tonight's Group D matches there will only be one game per night.

You are correct that using an antenna to access Ch 3 will allow watching the games with Thai announcing over the original English broadcast. There are reports of a Nokia charger working for reception as well.

GMM and True were trying to broker an agreement but needed a waiver from UEFA and the latter declared that there had been substantial time for True to have negotiated this ahead of the tournament and now it's too late. True, which had apparently led their subscribers to believe the games would be televised, have agreed to give additional channels to their subscribers during June but not to refund any payments.

True has also made announcements that 'if they keep their Premier League contract' it will be shown on free TV. The wording strikes me that GMM could steal that contract leaving True in the lurch.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Sukhumvit between Sois 12 & 14 there is a smallish car-park which has slowly been transformed into open air beer-garden place, maybe with food available from the surrounding restaurants: Sunrise Tacos, V8 Diner, etc. They have just covered this area with a free-standing roof. Anyway, they had signs indicating they would be showing the Euro 2012 semi-final and final matches, and it looked like they had some large screen projection capability.

I am pretty sure all these matches kick-off at 01:45 BKK time.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Plans changed, so I´ll only be able to watch the final now - which will include Germany and a team from the iberian peninsula .

F.R.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Plans changed, so I´ll only be able to watch the final now - which will include Germany and a team from the iberian peninsula .

F.R.
Is there a third place match? Germany v. Portugal?

I'll be watching the final: Italy v. Spain.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Is there a third place match? Germany v. Portugal?

I'll be watching the final: Italy v. Spain.
A surprising outcome, but that's why they play the games.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.