FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Buying from America for Thailand company (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1354881-buying-america-thailand-company.html)

Youngmiler Jun 9, 2012 11:18 am

Buying from America for Thailand company

I need to buy a few plane tickets from airlines based in Asia and Thailand airlines and have a question. When booking a flight at Bangkok Airlines it shows the flight in baht, if I purchase it from America, will I get hit with a 3% foreign transaction fee and what conversion rate will I get or does the purchase count as being made in America?

Jaimito Cartero Jun 9, 2012 11:23 am

If you buy through a US portal (Expedia, Orbitz, etc), then you'll get charged in USD. Most foreign airlines have US offices, so if you buy through their US site, you should get it priced in USD.

Normally if it shows the price in a foreign currency, it will charge in that currency. Your credit card may charge a FOREX fee on your transaction.

glennaa11 Jun 9, 2012 2:42 pm

Or check to see if you have any credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fees (i.e. several of the Chase cards like Sapphire Preferred, BA, Hyatt, Priority Club...). You should receive an exchange rate that is basically the interbank rate. Bangkok Airways often has special fares only available on their website so it is definitely worth checking.

dsquared37 Jun 9, 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 18727110)
I need to buy a few plane tickets from airlines based in Asia and Thailand airlines and have a question. When booking a flight at Bangkok Airlines it shows the flight in baht, if I purchase it from America, will I get hit with a 3% foreign transaction fee and what conversion rate will I get or does the purchase count as being made in America?

Where you purchase from is irrelevant. What does matter is the currency that company is selling the goods in and your credit card currency.

Let's take the Bangkok Air example. If your flight begins in Thailand then they'll quote a price in THB. If your flight begins in Cambodia they'll price it out in USD etc etc.

If you use expedia or another portal you're likely to be sold a more expensive ticket compared to what's available on PG's own site. You'll save the forex fees but pay more overall.

Your best bet is to obtain a CC that doesn't charge forex fees. Otherwise suck it up and pay the 5-8% additional cost of the foreign transaction. Or wait until you arrive in country and book in cash at the counter.

Other random info: PG will accept AmEx at their offices and airport counters. Online they only accept visa/MC.

Jaimito Cartero Jun 9, 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 18728969)
If your flight begins in Cambodia they'll price it out in USD etc etc.

And many credit card companies will even charge you a FOREX fee if the charge is in USD, if it originates outside the USA. Doesn't seem fare, but that's what happens.

And watch out for the dreaded DCC scam when you travel outside the USA. Always pay in local currency, beware of helpful companies wanting to charge in USD.

benzemalyonnais Jun 10, 2012 7:34 am

I just bought two separate Bangkok Airways tickets, one with my US Airways MC (have like $700 credit on it), the other with my PC Visa (no forex fees).

I was charged about a $7 fee on the first purchase (which I knew would happen), which was about $200 (3 percent fee)

The second one was a 4980THB charge which converted to $158.80, and is
$157.60 at current rates.

Is it really worth it to you to worry about the fees? Orbitz was super expensive in comparison, which bugged me since I've got $100 credit from the OK fare debacle.

dsquared37 Jun 10, 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 18729134)
And many credit card companies will even charge you a FOREX fee if the charge is in USD, if it originates outside the USA. Doesn't seem fare, but that's what happens.

My experience in Cambodia is otherwise, have never been charged forex for a transaction in Cambodia even when that particular card does charge forex for other currencies. Could it be dependent upon what is deemed the national currency?

dsquared37 Jun 10, 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais (Post 18730567)

Is it really worth it to you to worry about the fees? Orbitz was super expensive in comparison, which bugged me since I've got $100 credit from the OK fare debacle.

Agreed. Orbitz prices out PG into Y, M and K fares IIRC which are considerably more expensive than what is typically available directly from PG.

Youngmiler Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you all for the advice, unfortunately I downgraded my CHASE PP CC to the MileagePlus Explorer which has the FOREX fee, I ended up just booking the flight with it and through bangkokair.com for a fair price.

I'm on the fence about what to do with my credit cards because I don't have one that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and it seems like only a handful have the perk. I am probably not ready for the AMEX PLAT, wasn't happy when I had a Capitalone CC, and don't really want a second CC from Chase.

glennaa11 Jun 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 18732179)
don't really want a second CC from Chase.

Why not? I have 4 (I think) at the moment...(old UA card, Hyatt, PC, Sapphire Preferred). If you qualify they have the most lucrative offers these days and several cards without foreign transaction fees.

dsquared37 Jun 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 18733280)
Why not? I have 4 (I think) at the moment...(old UA card, Hyatt, PC, Sapphire Preferred). If you qualify they have the most lucrative offers these days and several cards without foreign transaction fees.

You can add the Marriott card to the forex free group.