Search

Cost in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyawards| miles and more|A3
Cost in Bangkok?

Hello!
I'll visit Bangkok next month for six days and my question is will be 500 euros enough for food, museums, maybe a few drinks (beers only) and transportation? (i have already paid my hotel and also am travelling alone).
Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:43 am

Good Lord yes. That's $110 a day!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by manos2011
Hello!
I'll visit Bangkok next month for six days and my question is will be 500 euros enough for food, museums, maybe a few drinks (beers only) and transportation? (i have already paid my hotel and also am travelling alone).
Thanks.
Absolutely. That's 20,000 THB give or take, or 3,333 baht a day. You won't be able to eat and drink extravagantly at every meal, but that's enough for a splurge meal every day if you're even minimally cautious about other expenses, or pretty much anything you might want to do if you limit yourself to a couple of splurge meals on the trip.

To give you a sense of costs:
* The Grand Palace has an admission charge of (IIRC) 400 baht for foreigners. Every other museum I can think of is cheaper, generally around 40 or 100 baht.
* 300-400 baht gets you a nice meal at many non-fancy places, and there's considerable room to move down or up from there.
* Beer will run 60-100 baht with a meal, much less from 7-11, potentially a good bit more at a fancy bar.
* A BTS or subway ride is around 20-40 baht depending on distance. Chao Praya Express is similar.
* I can't remember whether the flag drop for taxis is 35 or 45 baht, but except getting to/from Khao Sarn road (where they absolutely will NOT go metered) it seems like for most metered distances in town I'd bother to take a taxi for I end up with roughly a 100 baht fare and just round up.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: most of them
Pretty sure taxis fares still start at Bt35.

But yeah, that should be more than enough money.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Most decent hotels also offer a free breakfast, so you probably only need money for lunch and dinner.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
stay away from TuKTuk drivers and Gem shops and you should be OK

Get a good map and see how you can take the BTS Skytrain or MRT subway to get close to where you want to go, then take a taxi

And start early as it gets HOT quick !

Soarer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Pretty sure taxis fares still start at Bt35.
Yes, 35 baht.

Originally Posted by soarer
Those tuk tuk drivers will rip you off every time.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Goodness yes. Even eating hotel restaurant meals it would be tough to blow through $110 a day.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Wise advice.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Get a good map and see how you can take the BTS Skytrain or MRT subway to get close to where you want to go, then take a taxi
And stay away from any Thai national on the street with a desire to see your tourist map.

I'm hoping the rains come soon. It's been pretty brutal this April. I'd say spring, but April is commonly referred to as summer here.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And stay away from any Thai national on the street with a desire to see your tourist map.
I hoping there's some sarcasm in there, but as with traveling to any foreign country, you need to keep your guard up. There are shady people everywhere in the world and especially in tourist hotspots.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I hoping there's some sarcasm in there, but as with traveling to any foreign country, you need to keep your guard up. There are shady people everywhere in the world and especially in tourist hotspots.
No, there was no sarcasm; I see it every time in Bangkok, no matter if by the river or around Sukhumvit. My wording does not say do not trust Thai nationals. The distinction I was trying to make is do not trust Thai nationals that have a desire to see/mark things on your map.

Typically this is an excersize that leads toward some kind of scam.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
To put it in perspective, I spent easily less than $30 a day in Bangkok. I'm staying in extremely budget digs, and not living it up.

If you're worried about scoring cheap places to stay, for $20 you can get some decent spots.

Hostelbookers.com has places you can reserve in advance that are reasonable, but before ya get too excited, the "private" rooms they show are per person, double occupancy. So double that price. Not a bad way to score a reservation b4 ya go.

If you want to go budget and see the "backpacker" world, check out Khaosan Road. For a little more upscale, Sukhomvit is the place to be and is right on the train.

I've been to BKK about 10 times and have never taken a TukTuk and only know of bad stories from those that have. Stick w taxis. Avoid ping-pong shows, and if you need to check out the seedy side of BKK, skip Pat-Pong road (scam central) and take a walk thru Soi Cowboy. It's still seedy (ladies, lady-boys) but no one will rip you off blind.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.