Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Skip Songkran in BKK and head for Siem Reap, Cambodia? (Angkor Wat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm spending 3 weeks in Thailand, arriving in BKK on April 10th. But I'm set on also visiting Angkor Wat since I'll be "in the neighborhood." May be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some questions:

* I've heard Bangkok is relatively empty during Songkran (April 13 to April 15) vs. places like Chiang Mai / Krabi / Phi Phi / Phuket. Is that true? I hate crowds and though crowds are relative, I try to avoid them.

* Should I just skip Songkran and plan to fly to Siem Reap, Cambodia for 3 nights to see Angkor Wat? I mean, how regrettable might it be to skip Songkran? Is it an extraordinary not-to-be-missed event, or will it just be "loud and wet?"

Some other notes about what I'd like to do / not like to do:

* Sounds like I *could* skip Songkran. Getting blasted continuously with water possibly from a moat that could infect me doesn't sound fun. Read elsewhere on FT that many expats head for Vietnam or Malaysia during Songkran.

* I don't like partying and prefer it quiet. But I enjoy temples, hiking, nature in general, jungles, and snorkeling to some extent. I'm not a big "lay on the beach guy" but it may be really nice to have an oceanfront room for at least a few nights

* Would love to stay somewhere I can view the crazy limestone formations coming out of the sea of that's possible; since to me that's iconic for Thailand. Maybe only Vietnam has something similar?

* I could use some hotel advice for BKK. I mostly just want to visit the temples. Don't think I'll use points, and really only require something that's clean, quiet, and convenient. Don't need lots of amenities. What part of BKK should I stay in? Can you stay on the river close to the temples? Does it matter? And how many baht should I expect to pay per night? Can I get something decent for 2K to 3K baht?

* I could also use some help with non-points hotels in Siem Reap. Same deal, I don't need anything fancy. Although since it's perhaps more of a developing nation than Thailand, sometimes luxury is what you want. Where in Siem Reap is best to stay for visiting Angkor Wat - or does it not matter? And how much should I expect to pay for a hotel? I've seen some *really* nice ones for USD $150 a night, but that seems excessive for my needs.

* Anyone got any hotel recommendations for Krabi / the Phi Phi islands / Phuket? Maybe I'd want to go a little more upscale there.

* What about Chiang Mai?

Sorry I know I haven't given a great amount of detail, but the trip's right around the corner and I really need to book my lodging; and also flights to / from Siem Reap.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 23, 2024 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:54 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
BKK during Songkran is a mad house. Mostly tourists with water guns and spraying everyone on the street. It is a given bet that if you walk you are going to get fully wet. No matter what. My advice is avoid BKK during Songkran. Actually avoid Thailand during Songkran unless you want to have fun and enjoy the wet festivities.

Yes you can get decent hotels for 2 to 3k per night. Not 5 star but 4 to 3 star.
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
BKK during Songkran is a mad house. Mostly tourists with water guns and spraying everyone on the street. It is a given bet that if you walk you are going to get fully wet. No matter what. My advice is avoid BKK during Songkran. Actually avoid Thailand during Songkran unless you want to have fun and enjoy the wet festivities.

Yes you can get decent hotels for 2 to 3k per night. Not 5 star but 4 to 3 star.
Thanks David. Tourists with water guns spraying everyone sounds "no bueno." I'll try to fly to Siem Reap on April 12th or 13th and return to Thailand on April 16th after Songkran is (hopefully) over. I swear I read something somewhere saying Songkran was being extended to the rest of the month of April. Hope I heard wrong!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
actually the mad house in Bangkok is just at certain places like Khao San, lower Sukhumvit, Silom...
traffic is much more light as usual
take in mind that temperatures at Angkor Wat are very hot and even more so in April
SKT-DK and Jason77W like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
actually the mad house in Bangkok is just at certain places like Khao San, lower Sukhumvit, Silom...
take in mind that temperatures at Angkor Wat are very hot and even more so in April
Thanks BinSabai. I just booked my flights to Siem Reap. I know both Thailand and Cambodia are going to be hot as hell in April, but that’s when I can travel and found award flight availability.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks BinSabai. I just booked my flights to Siem Reap. I know both Thailand and Cambodia are going to be hot as hell in April, but that’s when I can travel and found award flight availability.
Calculate in your fare to SR taxi of about $60 each way from the airport to the city itself That's around $120 rt. I'd suggest looking online for some pre-paid options. Some people found $30 per seat one way trip from the airport to SR. That's another ripoff.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Calculate in your fare to SR taxi of about $60 each way from the airport to the city itself That's around $120 rt. I'd suggest looking online for some pre-paid options. Some people found $30 per seat one way trip from the airport to SR. That's another ripoff.
Hoping to take the bus for USD $8 each way. Would rather spend the extra $$$ on hotels, food, and attractions. I only travel with an overhead carry on and a day pack so I don't have much luggage to contend with.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • AA*EP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Yup. My favourite times of year are NYE and SK, contrary to popular opinion...
everyone goes back to their home province and I have the entire motorway to myself. It's a true privilege, to those remaining and those visiting.
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by Jason77W; Mar 25, 2024 at 1:40 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jason77W
Yup. My favourite times of year are NYE and SK, contrary to popular opinion...
everyone goes back to their home province and I have the entire motorway to myself. It's a true privilege, to those remaining and those visiting.
So do you accept being soaked with water everywhere you go as part of the "fun" or "cost?" Or is soaking not widespread where you visit in BKK? Not judging your likes, just curious about what I've been told about SK from some Thais I know.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:30 pm

So do you accept being soaked with water everywhere you go as part of the "fun" or "cost?" Or is soaking not widespread where you visit in BKK? Not judging your likes, just curious about what I've been told about SK from some Thais I know.
Sure the traffic is relatively less in BKK. But everything is relative because a lot of people go back to the Province and the accidents and deaths on the roads are the highest. But for BKK proper it makes no difference. That said the last day of Songkran the roads are jam packed as well as everyone is trying to get back. The Thais enjoy the water festivities as much as any tourists too. The downside is by evening a lot of them are drunk too and do not care about anything but spraying everyone else and especially someone who is dry. People who drive their own cars are obviously not going to get wet but even in taxis they throw the white paste and all drivers tell me that they hate it but nothing much can be done. For sure you are going to get wet if you go on the streets.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Sure the traffic is relatively less in BKK. But everything is relative because a lot of people go back to the Province and the accidents and deaths on the roads are the highest. But for BKK proper it makes no difference. That said the last day of Songkran the roads are jam packed as well as everyone is trying to get back. The Thais enjoy the water festivities as much as any tourists too. The downside is by evening a lot of them are drunk too and do not care about anything but spraying everyone else and especially someone who is dry. People who drive their own cars are obviously not going to get wet but even in taxis they throw the white paste and all drivers tell me that they hate it but nothing much can be done. For sure you are going to get wet if you go on the streets.
Thanks David. I'm so glad I'm flying to Siem Reap on April 12 and returning to BKK on April 16. I have no desire to get soaked and have flour thrown at me. "No bueno."
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thanks David. I'm so glad I'm flying to Siem Reap on April 12 and returning to BKK on April 16. I have no desire to get soaked and have flour thrown at me. "No bueno."
I think they have also made the 16th a holiday in Thailand. Hopefully things would have calmed down as it is normally the first two days that is the most water festivities are held.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

I think they have also made the 16th a holiday in Thailand. Hopefully things would have calmed down as it is normally the first two days that is the most water festivities are held.
This site says Songkran in Bangkok has been extended from April 1st to April 21st. That sounds wacky to me:
https://www.sindhornmidtown.com/happ...l-2024-bangkok
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:04 pm

This site says Songkran in Bangkok has been extended from April 1st to April 21st. That sounds wacky to me:
I am currently out of Thailand but let me check on this and others like BinSabai on site can give more information?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:07 pm

The Thailand Tourism site TAT does not give it as the 21st. It is as for the 16th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.