Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

Old Mar 15, 19, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I added value to my last remaining un-registered Rabbit card today at Asoke. I was not prompted to register the card.

They still have the signs up advising of this registration requirement but they have moved them so that they now no longer completely block the sales agent.
Old Apr 7, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I just topped up mine at Asoke and had to show some form of ID as I dd not have my passport on me they accepted my Philippine Residents ID card
Old Apr 7, 19, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it does seem like they are back to enforcing the registration before allowing any additional top-ups.
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:33 am

It's not being enforced universally or uniformly. Maybe more so for foreigners?

I just let Yanisa top mine up with several hundred baht so she could just show her Thai ID if necessary and hopefully I wouldn't need to do anything. But they haven't asked for it yet. One of the top ups was at Asoke.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 8, 19 at 4:40 am
Old Apr 8, 19, 11:30 am

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
When I was there in Feb/Mar I topped up my old rabbit card a couple of times at Sala Daeng and was not asked to register. I think the little display even said something about it not being registered. The first time was after a small group of people buying new cards took a long time to get things sorted out and there was a big line. But the second time there was no line. So I thought maybe it was just a matter of luck of the draw.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
I just topped up my Rabit card at Ari and was not asked to register it. From the previous reports it seems possible that they are requiring new cards to be registered when being purchased, and maybe existing cards by the card number in order to avoid conjestion at the ticket offices.
Old Apr 9, 19, 2:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I topped up mine two weeks ago at Asoke without any request to show ID. Hit and miss.
Old Apr 14, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Is it possible to take money off of the rabbit card? Load with credit, then remove baht via cash?

Edit: I inquired and answered my own question. This is according to 1 rep at the counter, so maybe it is more scaleable (Iím not here long enough to care to figure out.) The max that can be on the card is 999 baht. Balances above 100 can be re-credited to credit card (maybe switch to debit after load) but remaining 100 baht would stay on rabbit card. Not really useful as an MS avenue it seems.

Last edited by NeGourmand; Apr 14, 19 at 9:01 am
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I inquired and answered my own question

Can you describe what it is you're trying to do, I honestly cannot follow your question? What is an "MS avenue"?

The maximum stored value on a Rabbit card is 4,000 baht. Stored value can be used for fares, and for purchases at dozens of participating merchants.

They stopped accepting credit and debit cards for stored-value top-ups ~ 2 years ago. I think you can still add "trips" to a Rabbit card via a credit and/or debit card.

There is the Rabbit - LINE Pay option, which does allow one to add value via a linked credit or debit card, and then spend that stored value on BTS fares and at merchants.

I am not aware of any options of recovering stored value in the form of cash.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:32 pm

MS typically means Manufactured Spend (to generate miles/points via credit card spend).

-David
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
I inquired and answered my own question

Can you describe what it is you're trying to do, I honestly cannot follow your question? What is an "MS avenue"?

The maximum stored value on a Rabbit card is 4,000 baht. Stored value can be used for fares, and for purchases at dozens of participating merchants.

They stopped accepting credit and debit cards for stored-value top-ups ~ 2 years ago. I think you can still add "trips" to a Rabbit card via a credit and/or debit card.

There is the Rabbit - LINE Pay option, which does allow one to add value via a linked credit or debit card, and then spend that stored value on BTS fares and at merchants.

I am not aware of any options of recovering stored value in the form of cash.

As David replied, I meant MS to mean manufactured spend. Or even currency conversion at the credit card rate. Too good to be true I suppose.