Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I added value to my last remaining un-registered Rabbit card today at Asoke. I was not prompted to register the card.

They still have the signs up advising of this registration requirement but they have moved them so that they now no longer completely block the sales agent.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I just topped up mine at Asoke and had to show some form of ID as I dd not have my passport on me they accepted my Philippine Residents ID card
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it does seem like they are back to enforcing the registration before allowing any additional top-ups.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:33 am

It's not being enforced universally or uniformly. Maybe more so for foreigners?

I just let Yanisa top mine up with several hundred baht so she could just show her Thai ID if necessary and hopefully I wouldn't need to do anything. But they haven't asked for it yet. One of the top ups was at Asoke.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 8, 2019 at 4:40 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: most of them
When I was there in Feb/Mar I topped up my old rabbit card a couple of times at Sala Daeng and was not asked to register. I think the little display even said something about it not being registered. The first time was after a small group of people buying new cards took a long time to get things sorted out and there was a big line. But the second time there was no line. So I thought maybe it was just a matter of luck of the draw.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I topped up mine two weeks ago at Asoke without any request to show ID. Hit and miss.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Is it possible to take money off of the rabbit card? Load with credit, then remove baht via cash?

Edit: I inquired and answered my own question. This is according to 1 rep at the counter, so maybe it is more scaleable (I’m not here long enough to care to figure out.) The max that can be on the card is 999 baht. Balances above 100 can be re-credited to credit card (maybe switch to debit after load) but remaining 100 baht would stay on rabbit card. Not really useful as an MS avenue it seems.

Last edited by NeGourmand; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I inquired and answered my own question

Can you describe what it is you're trying to do, I honestly cannot follow your question? What is an "MS avenue"?

The maximum stored value on a Rabbit card is 4,000 baht. Stored value can be used for fares, and for purchases at dozens of participating merchants.

They stopped accepting credit and debit cards for stored-value top-ups ~ 2 years ago. I think you can still add "trips" to a Rabbit card via a credit and/or debit card.

There is the Rabbit - LINE Pay option, which does allow one to add value via a linked credit or debit card, and then spend that stored value on BTS fares and at merchants.

I am not aware of any options of recovering stored value in the form of cash.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:32 pm

MS typically means Manufactured Spend (to generate miles/points via credit card spend).

-David
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by transpac
I inquired and answered my own question

Can you describe what it is you're trying to do, I honestly cannot follow your question? What is an "MS avenue"?

The maximum stored value on a Rabbit card is 4,000 baht. Stored value can be used for fares, and for purchases at dozens of participating merchants.

They stopped accepting credit and debit cards for stored-value top-ups ~ 2 years ago. I think you can still add "trips" to a Rabbit card via a credit and/or debit card.

There is the Rabbit - LINE Pay option, which does allow one to add value via a linked credit or debit card, and then spend that stored value on BTS fares and at merchants.

I am not aware of any options of recovering stored value in the form of cash.

As David replied, I meant MS to mean manufactured spend. Or even currency conversion at the credit card rate. Too good to be true I suppose.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
Yes, it does seem like they are back to enforcing the registration before allowing any additional top-ups.
Topped up my rabbit card today at Nana BTS - not asked to register.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My experiences...

Have three cards, often get lent out to visitors. Topped up some, both, all variously until faced the registration request. Registered it, subsequently registered all the other cards - don't want friends having to deal with this.

One card expired (5 years), got a new card, balance transferred, don't think I was charged a fee, original card was no fee/deposit. No registration issues. Tried to top-up later, must register. I use my Thai DL for registration.

Second card expired, got a new card, balance transfer, no fee, but had to register it, Fine. DL out. Tried to top-up this second card later, nope, have to register, again. OK, DL out.

Third, oldest card now, no issues topping up, yet.

When I'm behind a Thai person in line to top-up it seems like the BTS agent requests the Thai ID card for a top-up. Thai ID cards have a chip, and the BTS agent has a reader, pretty quick process for them.

Not sure about the variations in experience?

On a side note: newer train sets (not sure if CNR or Siemens) operating on the Suk. line, spiffy, two of eight seat sets removed to increase capacity. LED screens for route/station info. These could have been on the Silom line, which I haven't ridden in a while.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Post Deleted
LIH Prem, CO-PLAT and abraxis like this.

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
There seems to be some new ticket machines on both the MRT and BTS where you can top up your relevant card without going to the counter and risking passport roulette. I have used the one at Samyan MRT and the one at Sala Daeng BTS, I don't know if they are at other stations.

Also, there is this:
https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/...isa-and-master

The burden of queuing up to purchase your ticket at machines or top-up from ticket booths at Bangkok’s subway is now soon to be gone with MRT introducing new contactless payment methods with Visa and Mastercard, according to its official Facebook post. Passengers will be able to scan there credit card at the gate rather than touching a plastic token to the reader.
LIH Prem and dsquared37 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.