Reload this Page >

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rabbit Card: BTS and MRT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:38 pm

The title of this thread should be changed. The card for BTS, MRT, BRT, ARL will be called the Mangmoom card or Spider card.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
The title of this thread should be changed. The card for BTS, MRT, BRT, ARL will be called the Mangmoom card or Spider card.
Meh. The Rabbit card still cannot be used on the MRT. On the plus side, the new Purple Line (August, 2016?) will be operated by the MRT, so a relatively easy transition at Tao Poon.

While the name and design are complete, it's not clear if the "government" has approved the budget for this project yet?

When first announced last year a trial in June (2016) and general usage in August was mentioned, but still haven't seen a lot on this yet.

In this thread a very well-informed person said this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...#entry10336043

"The new Mangmoom (Spider) Card being promoted by OTP is intended to work everywhere but it's shackled by being controlled by a government office with the inordinate amount of bureaucracy that goes with it. I'm not going to hazard a guess when it will be operable."

Note the need to trade-in existing MRT cards for new MRT cards:

Trade in Those MRT Cards or Lose the Money

BANGKOK — Those with an MRT stored value card in their pocket have until the last day of June to trade it in for the new one needed to ride future routes.

The new cards, which are available now, can be used for the current MRT line and the upcoming Skytrain Purple Line, which will start running in August, and the Blue Line expected by 2021, according to the Bangkok Expressway and Metro Public Co. Ltd.

Cardholders can trade in the old for a new card at any ticket office through the end of June, though the old cards will still work through Halloween. Whatever value is stored on old cards will be transferred to the new without charge.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...sid=1453292311

Maybe best to wait a bit on the thread re-naming ceremony?

Last edited by transpac; Apr 7, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for the heads up on the end of June. Recently I've had to convert old Rabbit cards but was unaware of the MRT requirement.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Recently I've had to convert old Rabbit cards but was unaware of the MRT requirement.
What are the conversion requirements for Rabbit??

So you need to convert the MRT card to a new one by June 2016, but this is still not the spider card??

Does this mean yet another conversion, or will Rabbit, new MRT and Spider all work together (a bit like KL and it's two systems that crossover).

Trust Thailand.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:54 am

The rabbit has an expiry of like 3 or 5 years it seems.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A standard Rabbit card has a validity period of five (5) years, and an inactivity period of two (2) years.

Not sure what is meant by "conversion"? Maybe from an old BTS stored-value card to a new Rabbit card? Not sure they've been around long enough to be invalid yet?

So you need to convert the MRT card to a new one by June 2016, but this is still not the spider card??

Yes, and yes.

Does this mean yet another conversion, or will Rabbit, new MRT and Spider all work together

Who knows, but probably not. Rabbit card for BTS, MRT card for MRT. Spider card, not holding my breath.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:36 am

I had to get a new Rabbit and transfer the balance as the old Rabbit had expired. Both cards look the same. Orange rabbit cards.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Deja Vu, again...

Single ticketing system for Bangkok trains in mid-2017

A common ticketing system linking all train systems in Bangkok is to be launched in the middle of next year, and will be extended to buses later.

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said on Tuesday the common ticketing system, the so-called “maengmoom (spider) card’’, would shorten ticket purchase time and queues, and make travel more convenient.

It would be in use by the middle of next year, he said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ns-in-mid-2017
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: most of them
but rabbit sounds much more friendly than spider
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by glennaa11
but rabbit sounds much more friendly than spider
If 8+ appendages were important, and seeing that Hong Kong has already claimed Octopus, then arachnids and crustaceans were the obvious choices.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
How does one get a rabbit card? On my last trip I tried to get one at the rabbit office at the National Stadium stop. i walked in and the clerk spoke decent English. He directed me to go to the cashier for the Skytrain. She directed me back to the rabbit office. He said go back to the cashier, and at that point I gave up. So in theory how does one get one?

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nydave11
How does one get a rabbit card? On my last trip I tried to get one at the rabbit office at the National Stadium stop. i walked in and the clerk spoke decent English. He directed me to go to the cashier for the Skytrain. She directed me back to the rabbit office. He said go back to the cashier, and at that point I gave up. So in theory how does one get one?

Thanks
I got mine from the cashier at Nana station. Don't know why they gave you the run-a-round!

Try a different station, or cashier.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nydave11

Thanks
Any standard cashier should be able to sell you an Adult Rabbit card, sounds like a miscommunication issues? I think these are 180 baht with a issuing fee of 80 baht and an initial stored/usable value of 100 baht, but I haven't purchased a new one in a quite a while.

Note that at peak times some cashiers stations only offer change.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Thanks. I will try again next trip.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Looks like the spider card has launched, but only on the MRT.
Airport line and buses to follow in 2018, but nothing on BTS

Last edited by moa999; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.