Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HRH Princess Bejaratana funeral - April 8-10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
HRH Princess Bejaratana funeral - April 8-10

I have not seen this posted yet.

For those that may be visiting during this time, it will be interesting to observe the proceedings. Some notes from the article:

Night entertainment venues will be asked to suspend their businesses from April 8-10 during the funeral of Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana, .....

Television and radio broadcasts should air programmes or content considered appropriate during the three-day period....

The main pavilion, crematorium and other buildings will be open for the public to visit from April 11-17.....

Full article
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...17-333982.html
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Very odd they'd choose to hold the cremation ceremonies during Songkran.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed the crematorium being constructed on Sanam Luang while passing by on Tuesday this week.

It might safe to assume that the Grand Palace/Wat Phra Kaew may be closed one or more of those days: April 8 - 10?

Songkhran is April 13, 14 & 15 traditionally here in Thailand.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=6137
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: most of them
I happened to be there when the King's sister's funeral happened. The crematorium was fascinating and all open to the public. I understand this princess was the King's cousin, so I assume the grounds will be smaller in scale.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
She passed away last July if I recall correctly. Interesting that she'll be only cremated 8 months+ later.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tide
She passed away last July if I recall correctly. Interesting that she'll be only cremated 8 months+ later.
Very common to delay the cremation for 8+ months.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
The King initially decreed the cremation date of April 4, 2012, perhaps based on any number of criteria including a suitable waiting period (not the 100 days of mourning), the auspiciousness of the exact date, the preparation of the final resting place, on-going refurbishments at Sanam Luang.

In the case of the most recent funeral, that of the King's sister, HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana in 2008, the waiting period was ~ 11 months.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting article:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life...-30179126.html

Yesterday afternoon on TV HRH Princess Chulabhorn (substituting for her father) presided over a ceremony to raise a 7-tiered umbrella to the top of the Meru. All of the surrounding buildings look amazing so this may be worth a visit for those currently in town.

There are a lot of press releases here, where one might be able to determine which days/times might allow for public entrance:

http://thailand.prd.go.th/list_monarchy.php

Edited to add: April 6, 7, 8 & 9, 2012 are official government/bank holidays, I didn't realize this until today. Songkhran official government/bank holidays extend from April 12 through April 17 this year.

Last edited by transpac; Apr 4, 2012 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
if they are doing this much for a minor Royal , I wonder what will happen when HM the King passes ?

He is the only King 99% of the people have ever known , I am of 2 minds , I would like to be there when it happens but I also think everything will be closed for a week or 2 ,

RB
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
if they are doing this much for a minor Royal , I wonder what will happen when HM the King passes ?

He is the only King 99% of the people have ever known , I am of 2 minds , I would like to be there when it happens but I also think everything will be closed for a week or 2 ,

RB
At least. I expect there will be some sort of mourning period when he dies and then again when they do the funeral/cremation. I think it would be worth seeing just because of the history. But the crowds will be enormous. I've seen some old photos from Rama V's funeral and even back then it was a huge event.

Lots of speculation out there about what will happen when the inevitable comes to pass. Most of it not very positive.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
if they are doing this much for a minor Royal
I'm not sure what "minor royal" means exactly but in this case the Princess was the daughter of a King, and as such granted a royal funeral. Additionally, perhaps upon her death?, the current King elevated her status to that equivalent to one of his own children. So rather than 5 umbrellas they used seven umbrellas to top the meru.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I know the Banks are also closed , but what else ?

I would think the Shopping Malls would stay open with all these people off work,

SR
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soarer
I know the Banks are also closed , but what else ?

I would think the Shopping Malls would stay open with all these people off work,

SR
Banks, Government offices, Post offices (Schools are on summer vacation).

Shopping malls, most markets, restaurants, many retail shops will be open.

Entertainment venues serving alcohol will be closed at least today, April 8. Some maybe through April 10.

Not sure if there is a total ban on alcohol sales, and if so, what outlets might be affected?

Note that Friday, April 6 was Chakri Day.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:09 pm

If you're going to be in town the grounds will be open to the public from Wednesday until next Tuesday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...ll-to-princess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.