Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket HKT car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Arrow Phuket HKT car rental?

Does anyone have any recent experience renting a car at Phuket Airport?

I'm getting hosted in Chalong so no direct public bus. From what I'm told the cheapo city bus has gotten less convenient. The cheapo Patong shuttle doesn't really operate from the airport (last time I attempted to get one of those they hit me up to pay for the whole van)

So between renting a scooter (which I'm not too sure about especially if it rains as it does) and a car... I'd rather go for the car option. Avis seems the cheapest, though its about three times as much as I paid for my cheapo Air Asia flight

Suggestions?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I just used www.avis.com and booked a car through them. I am sure there are cheaper options but I wanted to use Amex, earn miles and I did not want to have some sort of jet-ski rental scam so I paid a little premium to stick with a big-name brand.

Standard rules of engagement apply, i.e. do a proper walk-around. check the tires and do an interior inspection before leaving the lot and be really, really anal about having any issues noted by the agent before you commence the rental. I had no billing issues and no dramas upon return.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

I went ahead and booked it on Avis.com thru the AA link which should earn me triple AAdvantage miles

I generally do what you suggested whenever I rent, no matter how big or small scuffs/scratches/dents appear... though it seems in the US they've made it harder to note these things in writing. The only problem I had with attempts to charge me more upon return was when I rented a car in the Dominican Republic, had it parked at the hotel for a few nights where it showed a slow leak in the tire, and they thought they would have me buy a new tire. But after a little arguing they conceded that the leak was probably there judging by the condition of the tire.

Will keep checking rates though I don't really expect it to drop. My last rental in Detroit was a great experience, had a car booked for a little while, checked the price a day before flying and was able to rebook on Hotwire for $100 less than what my original reservation was for.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
I went ahead and booked it on Avis.com thru the AA link which should earn me triple AAdvantage miles

I generally do what you suggested whenever I rent, no matter how big or small scuffs/scratches/dents appear... though it seems in the US they've made it harder to note these things in writing. The only problem I had with attempts to charge me more upon return was when I rented a car in the Dominican Republic, had it parked at the hotel for a few nights where it showed a slow leak in the tire, and they thought they would have me buy a new tire. But after a little arguing they conceded that the leak was probably there judging by the condition of the tire.

Will keep checking rates though I don't really expect it to drop. My last rental in Detroit was a great experience, had a car booked for a little while, checked the price a day before flying and was able to rebook on Hotwire for $100 less than what my original reservation was for.
I had problems in SYD. Two weeks after returning a car they charged me close to 1000 AU$ for a set of tires claiming all 4 had bald patches that weren't there before. It was a day of heavy rain and I drove from the airport to the convention center and back so whatever they claim I did, I did not do it. Amex didn't help me and the charges stuck! My only recourse would have been legal action. Didn't touch Avis for 5 years after that and used Budget instead. But a new job and location brought me back to Avis and all around the world it has been relatively smooth (thanks to my paranoid way of checking out a vehicle).

The only exception being that one time in HKT, they tried to pin some crack in the windshield on me which is why I mentioned this

I am sure it still beats something like "Somchai's Good Times Auto Rental" (think jet-ski scam on steroids)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

now Sydney sounds like a scam

though based on the prices they charge in AU/NZ I never had the urge to rent a car there

do you get the extra insurance in Phuket? or waive coverage?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:56 pm

now Sydney sounds like a scam

though based on the prices they charge in AU/NZ I never had the urge to rent a car there

do you get the extra insurance in Phuket? or waive coverage?
I am used to driving in Thailand so I do not get the excess reduction or theft protection or whatever.

I just go with the standard insurance and hope for the best but YMMV
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I rented with Avis at HKT in January 2011. Drove the car (mini van) to Krabi and back, then around Phuket for almostb week. No issues. I want to say I activated the Amex premium car rental coverage for my trip and declined whatever insurance Avis offered.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I am used to driving in Thailand so I do not get the excess reduction or theft protection or whatever.

I just go with the standard insurance and hope for the best but YMMV
gotcha...

I haven't driven in Thailand yet

But I've done a few road trips from Singapore to Mersing, Malaysia and did a day trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back, so not anticipating any issues... I'll be staying at a private home so I guess it shouldn't be too worrysome
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuckho
I rented with Avis at HKT in January 2011. Drove the car (mini van) to Krabi and back, then around Phuket for almostb week. No issues. I want to say I activated the Amex premium car rental coverage for my trip and declined whatever insurance Avis offered.
guess I should dust off that AMEX card, haven't used an Amex in forever
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:41 pm

guess I should dust off that AMEX card, haven't used an Amex in forever
Blasphemy!!!!!! How dare you utter such wicked words in my presence! I am deeply offended

Note to non-US people: Don't assume your Amex has this rental car protection. I believe Hong Kong and France do not, just as an example. In fact I think that this US-Amex rental car protection product is the exception rather than the norm.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Try Fastcasrhire.co.uk. They usually have great rates, seldom one-way fees and they even bring the car to your hotel (and pick it up there as well).

Made 5 or 6 bookings so far with them in the last couple of years and it always went well
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've rented a number of times from Avis in CNX and UBP. Usually my rentals have been from the 'normal' Avis site however my most recent rental, early July, when Avis had a blackout for all promos in Asia, I rented through http://www.avisthailand.com/EN/index.php and got a killer deal. The rental was 700 THB per day (rather than 1100) but did not allow any promotions, which was fine since Avis was unilaterally blocking them anyway.

In all I think we've used Avis cars 7x since last December from those two locales and I've had no problem. The one time i did mung up a plastic attachment in the front it was, incredibly, right on a previous, and noted, spot of damage. My lucky day so to speak.

At pickup I do move around the car noting all scratches, chips etc which they duly mark on a paper sheet that you'll sign. Occasionally they've said don't worry about it when it's a front bumper paint chip and my expereince has been that this causes no problems. In HKT I'm not sure that would suffice for me.

Often a manual is a few hundred cheaper than an automatic. It was odd at first shifting with my left hand but the foot pedals are the same and i get bored in automatic cars. If manuals were more expensive I'd still probably go for them.

If you're going to accrue points then ensure you hold onto your pink lease slip. You'll need this as Avis has a very difficult time talking with Avis Thailand and i've never had a promotion (US Airways nor Club Carlson) post without corporate intervention.

The one time we rented in Phuket it was from a local place with supposedly multiple airport locations, unfortunately I can't remember the name. They charged about 1400 THB per day and we had no problems with them. Be aware that there's not alot of fuel options close by the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I did check Thai Avis in addition to avis.com before posting this (as well as a slew of booking services including kayak, carrentals, priceline, whatever) and it seems to me avis.com was the same price as carrentals.com For whatever reason thai avis site displayed a higher rate.

I'm also used to driving stick shift on a right hand drive car... for whatever reason it feels more natural to me than the manual cars with left hand drive, and I am a righty. But for this trip I opted to pay the 200 extra baht for an automatic, one less thing to worry about than fundling with a gearbox and doing something stupid. I had a manual car in Aruba and brought it right back to the airport as soon as I left because the clutch was pretty toast. They told me they would be happy to take the car back and refund the money as that was the only option available to me for the price I paid... so I had to suck it up and drive it more carefully.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Oops, I take that back...

Just went on Thai Avis again, not sure what I did different from last time but the rate appeared to be about 1000 baht less then the previous attempt.

This time I followed the booking through several steps, where a flashy 20% discount was offered if you book NOW!... and with "Super Collision Damage Waiver" not just the lame regular CDW I selected on avis.com before... the grand total comes out to 500 baht less than the american site...

How many miles do you supposedly get anyway through the triple AAdvantage promo? anybody know?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Any more recent experiences about renting a car at HKT airport?

I am planning on going through Avis in January. Found a rate of about $150 for an automatic for 3 days.

How is driving in this area? Is it easy to navigate up to Khao Lak?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.