Bangkok

Old Feb 8, 04, 9:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Bangkok

I will be spending 3-4 months in Bangkok soon on a project. Just wondering what is the best thing to do to capitalise on hotel programs and airline programs. Am based in Singapore and plan to fly in and out every week. Which hotel chain and airline will give me the most bang for the buck in terms of status, miles and points ? I am Gold on Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood. Member of Krisflyer (used to be PPS).
Old Feb 8, 04, 9:55 pm
rjh

Programs: Hotel 81
Is your Bangkok work site close to a Skytrain stop?
Rich
Old Feb 8, 04, 10:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Not sure yet actually but not so important as transport will be provided. Would anyone suggest that I switch hotels every day between eg Conrad, Grand Hyatt and Sheraton everyday to max out stay qualifications ??
Old Feb 8, 04, 10:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Not sure yet actually. Would anyone suggest that I switch hotels everyday between eg Conrad, Grand Hyatt and Sheraton Grande to max out my stay credits for all 3 hotels ??
Old Feb 8, 04, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
If you are going to do this for 12-16 weeks I sure would not kill myself with the every day change thing

16*5=90 nites

You should be able to get top status in all chains without driving yourself crazy and trying to work also.

Just my 2 cents
Old Feb 9, 04, 12:51 am

what i heard about bangkok is that traffic is very very bad. a 20min walk can be a 1h car ride. so i wouldnt bet on "transport will be provided". it will be in ur interests to choose a place that isn't too far, yet is in an area u're comfortable in.

since u're commuting on weekdays, a suggestion i have is try a different hotel every week, and see which 1 u like. i dont suppose u need to switch midweek, unless u want to do mattress runs!

that said, i believe the conrad hilton is well liked by many ppl.
Old Feb 9, 04, 1:27 am

Location: JFK based (¯`'•.¸AAdvantage Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Plat * HHonors Gold¸.•'´¯)
Hit top level w/ *wood @ the SGS (nicest of the 3) first as points for the SPG program are more valuable, then double-dip & make Diamond w/ Hilton @ the Conrad.
Emphasize you intend longterm business w/ them so they can go the extra mile beyond Gold benefits.
Old Feb 9, 04, 2:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jan_az:
16*5=90 nites </font>
outch !!!

Old Feb 9, 04, 9:23 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freqflyer:
I will be spending 3-4 months in Bangkok soon on a project. Just wondering what is the best thing to do to capitalise on hotel programs and airline programs. Am based in Singapore and plan to fly in and out every week. Which hotel chain and airline will give me the most bang for the buck in terms of status, miles and points ? I am Gold on Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood. Member of Krisflyer (used to be PPS).</font>
For airline, it's a toss-up between SQ and CX. I prefer CX as when you reach status with them, you can include HKG as a base to do work as well (even closer to BKK with their Wing/Pier access). However, if HKG is out of the picture, then SQ will obviously be your choice.

For hotel status using BKK, it is definately a toss-up between Hilton and SPG. Since youa re already GLD with three programs, I'd pic SGS over Conrad on status, location and liberalism to gain the PLT status using three properties (RGS, Westin and SGS, including the fact Westin and SGS are across the street from one another). You would have to use Conrad only to gain Diamond status, not including the fact you could use additional Hilton properties in SIN, naturally.

I cannot speak for Hyatt, I rarely ever use them. So yeah, easier for SPG in your case. SQ if *only* SIN-BKK RT, otherwise CX if you are SIN-BKK and BKK-HKG and SIN-HKG, and eventually HKG-NRT where all the money is!

I hope that was a good answer. I'm equally opened to hear other replies to get even more ideas!

[This message has been edited by Cygnus X-1 (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 9, 04, 8:44 pm

SQ isnt quite as generous when it comes to earning miles and getting upgrades. nor is it easy to earn SQ miles that count towards requalification of status.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cygnus X-1:
For airline, it's a toss-up between SQ and CX. I prefer CX as when you reach status with them, you can include HKG as a base to do work as well (even closer to BKK with their Wing/Pier access). However, if HKG is out of the picture, then SQ will obviously be your choice.

For hotel status using BKK, it is definately a toss-up between Hilton and SPG. Since youa re already GLD with three programs, I'd pic SGS over Conrad on status, location and liberalism to gain the PLT status using three properties (RGS, Westin and SGS, including the fact Westin and SGS are across the street from one another). You would have to use Conrad only to gain Diamond status, not including the fact you could use additional Hilton properties in SIN, naturally.

I cannot speak for Hyatt, I rarely ever use them. So yeah, easier for SPG in your case. SQ if *only* SIN-BKK RT, otherwise CX if you are SIN-BKK and BKK-HKG and SIN-HKG, and eventually HKG-NRT where all the money is!

I hope that was a good answer. I'm equally opened to hear other replies to get even more ideas!

[This message has been edited by Cygnus X-1 (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
</font>