Search

11 Hours Overnight at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, WN
11 Hours Overnight at BKK

Options for overnight at BKK?

I'm flying in to BKK at 11:40 pm this Friday night (Nov. 18), then out at 10:30 am the next morning.

I'm on two separate tickets (UA to BKK, TG out of BKK to KTM). I'm guessing I'll need to clear immigration, collect my bags, customs, then be landside for a few hours.

I REALLY want to go to a hotel, sleep for a few hours, shower, change, get back on the plane.

I've stayed at Louis Tavern Dayrooms (Concourse G?) before when I was transiting through BKK, but I don't think it's an option this time due to my need to collect and recheck my bags? Also, from a few comments around here it looks as if maybe I can't just walk in nowadays?

I don't mind paying the Novotel's rates, but it looks like they're booked up for that night.

Not looking for the cheapest. Just REALLY convenient, fast, and clean.

Suggestions? Options?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:39 pm

http://www.amaranthhotel.com/

-New Property
-Free shuttle every 30mins
-10mins from the airport
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joorinainen
http://www.amaranthhotel.com/

-New Property
-Free shuttle every 30mins
-10mins from the airport
Thanks.

Realistically, if I arrive at 11:40 pm need to clear immigration and collect my luggage and wait for the hotel shuttle.

Then be back at BKK in time to check in for an international flight (TG to KTM) that departs at 10:30 am.

How long could I stay at the hotel? 5 hours? 6 hours?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sidne
Thanks.

Realistically, if I arrive at 11:40 pm need to clear immigration and collect my luggage and wait for the hotel shuttle.

Then be back at BKK in time to check in for an international flight (TG to KTM) that departs at 10:30 am.

If everything goes smoothly you can get to the shuttle for 00:30 am departure. Which class you are travelling? If J you could have the Fast Track card which speeds things up remarkably. If you have this you could be in your room at 1:00 am and in my knowledge TG requires you to check in one hour before international flights so leave your hotel 2hours before your departure at 8:30 am.

PS. I really suck at this 12-hour clock thingy
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
SlverGoldGarden

900 bht $30, 10 min from airport ,clean safe,quiet. Behind Tesco ,SilverGold Garden hotel. Free shuttle. Check it out,^
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joorinainen
If everything goes smoothly you can get to the shuttle for 00:30 am departure. Which class you are travelling? If J you could have the Fast Track card which speeds things up remarkably. If you have this you could be in your room at 1:00 am and in my knowledge TG requires you to check in one hour before international flights so leave your hotel 2hours before your departure at 8:30 am.

PS. I really suck at this 12-hour clock thingy
Not J, unfortunately. Y for me...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I have a similar question. Transiting through in F with an overnight stay. In on United, out on TG.

I'd prefer to do a lounge stay if possible. I've read that the Concourse C lounge is 24 hours (LINK), but I've also read conflicting reports.

Is a lounge possible or does it have to be a hotel?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

I ended up at the Best Western. I made the 12:30 am shuttle (with 20 minutes to spare). The hotel rep took me and my luggage to a nearby seating area, then fetched me at 12:30 am. Full shuttle to the hotel. I was the first off the shuttle (everyone else stood around waiting for their luggage - I headed straight for check in). Quick check in and up to the room by 1:00 a.m.

Next morning caught the 8:30 am shuttle back to the airport in plenty of time for my flight.

Only complaint (and very minor at that) was I couldn't figure out how to access the Internet and the phone communications with the desk didn't help. I decided to take the extra sleep.

If I needed to stay landside again and the Novotel was booked, I'd be happy to stay here. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm on two separate tickets (UA to BKK, TG out of BKK to KTM). I'm guessing I'll need to clear immigration, collect my bags, customs, then be landside for a few hours.
I'm confused. With less than a 12 hour layover you should be able to check your bags through to your final as long as the airlines have an interline agreement (and I'm sure UA + TG must).
I'm expecting to do this, so someone please tell me if that's correct?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm confused. With less than a 12 hour layover you should be able to check your bags through to your final as long as the airlines have an interline agreement (and I'm sure UA + TG must).
You're right. You should be able to check the bags through in this case. (And I have done so with similar, though not identical, itineraries in the past.)

Since I ended up needing to clear immigration to go to the hotel, I didn't even try to check the bag through this time. So I can't confirm whether it would have been possible in this case.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:17 pm

I think you could have had the bags checked to your final destination and still go through customs/immigration with just a few things you'd need for the night.
No waiting for bags, no dealing with check-in counters.

I'm actually beginning to consider the hotel option so I won't have the urge to crash when I get to Bali mid-afternoon.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chavala
UA can resist interlining because '.. but the connection is the next day.' At least that's the official word. When checking in I've found the agents have no problem sending bags to the final city.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
UA can resist interlining because '.. but the connection is the next day.' At least that's the official word. When checking in I've found the agents have no problem sending bags to the final city.
Oh I've found plenty of "resistance" in the past. Like the ANA agent in Jakarta who didn't want to interline my bags back to DFW on 3 seperate tickets.
I just stand my ground, wait for a supervisor, make it clear I'm not leaving the counter until it's done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.