Wiki Posts
Search

Flooding around Bangkok - where and how bad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by shore9
Two of us are scheduled to arrive in BKK on Oct 25th on an AP reward. We have a hotel booked in the kho sanroad area. We are then scheduled to fly to DEL on the 27th with Jet Airways, booked thru Expedia.

Should we be looking at changing our plans to either stay in China longer, or fly to BKK and head south to Phuket right away (ie same day)?

We'd like to avoid any unnecessary costs if possible, but also want to stay out of danger. Unfortunately we've been traveling for the past month, so we've only received limited information.

Thanks
Tha Phra Athit is taking on water and Khao San is about 300m to the east.

I'd recommend not going to that area, but exactly how high the water will get, and when how long it will continue rising, is the question everyone wants answered right now.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Tha Phra Athit is taking on water and Khao San is about 300m to the east. I'd recommend not going to that area, but exactly how high the water will get, and when how long it will continue rising, is the question everyone wants answered right now.
Indeed. http://de21.digitalasia.chubu.ac.jp/...ports/view/361
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
The water is rising quickly.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:57 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I'm starting to worry about my friends in Bangkok, I'm not sure where they live as they just moved there recently. I am also concerned about my upcoming trip in a couple weeks. Hopefully everything and everyone stay safe and dry, but it's not looking good.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
THe Prime Mister said this could last 4-6 Weeks in Bangkok,

and 1 meter / 3 feet of water is expected in most of Bangkok,

No one knows but thats a lot of water and it will take a long time for it to soak in or be pumped out , plus it will be nasty smelling water too.

If it does flood this bad Bangkok will have trouble with clean water, electricity and food supplies, already 1/2 million people have lost thier jobs because of flooding ,

I have a trip in 2 weeks to Bangkok , its a miles ticket so I can cancel , but I would like to go if it does not flood.

Anyway reports from Bangkok are welcome , the Thai press just seems to throw more BS out there to keep people from a total panic !

RB
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I am currently in the city center, staying in Sukhumvit soi 8 area. I've been watching everyday for 'something' to happen, but nothing yet. Life has been going on 'as usual' here. But you can tell that people are preparing for something (no one knows WHAT). Shopping carts are full of non-perishables at the super markets. I plan to stay put until 31st of Oct, when I'm scheduled to go back home. But things could change quickly..... Taking one day at a time. Right now, DRY. We have really had very little rainfall since my arrival not quite one week ago. I had expected to see lots of rain, but maybe rainy season is coming to an end.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sim510
I am currently in the city center, staying in Sukhumvit soi 8 area.
How far is Sukhumvit soi 8 area from St Regis, Four Seasons or GH Bkk?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:06 pm

Sukhumvit soi 8 is at Nana BTS station area. I am two stops from Chitlom, which is attached to Grand Hyatt, and very close to Four Seasons. I don't know the location of St Regis. Never been there.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:58 pm

Thank you sim510, so it's fair to assume there is no flooding near the Four Seasons or GH?

Has anyone experienced fooding or issues getting from airport to downtown hotels (eg Four Seasons) by taxi or hotel limo?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sim510
Sukhumvit soi 8 is at Nana BTS station area. I am two stops from Chitlom, which is attached to Grand Hyatt, and very close to Four Seasons. I don't know the location of St Regis. Never been there.
St Regis is basically next door to the Four Seasons.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 1K+
Has anyone experienced fooding or issues getting from airport to downtown hotels (eg Four Seasons) by taxi or hotel limo?
Currently no issues getting from BKK to Suk area.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Currently no issues getting from BKK to Suk area.
Thank you.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
THe Prime Mister said this could last 4-6 Weeks in Bangkok,

and 1 meter / 3 feet of water is expected in most of Bangkok,

Anyway reports from Bangkok are welcome , the Thai press just seems to throw more BS out there to keep people from a total panic !

RB
Be careful which BS you believe and which you propagate. Bangkok, while generally flat, does have some local variation in height up to +/- 3M. Some areas will be fine and some will be deluged. And some poorer areas completely away from tourists might be flooded for a long time but in general the main parts of the city are built on higher ground because that's what you seek out when building in a swamp (think the French Quarter in NOLA).

There are maps showing the variation in elevation, in a generalized way, of districts of Bangkok. I haven't seen any in English, and don't have time at the moment to search for any, but I'll try and find something to post later.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:07 pm

I was by the Hyatt just yesterday afternoon, and it is dry. There are sandbags out in front of the Louis Vuitton store at Gaysorn Plaza mall (right across the street), so they are preparing. Still not sure if/when flood water will come here. Some sources say that this area will remain dry. Other sources say to expect flooding!!! Frustrating... one day at at time here.

No issues getting to/from airport that I know of. A friend is heading there this morning. Another friend is coming in from Samui tomorrow. No issues are anticipated. The highway is elevated, if you take the tollway. The 'low spot' is when you reach the bottom of the ramp at the Sukhumvit exit. And that area is DRY right now.

Four Seasons and St Regis are dry. As far as I know, the entire city center down to the river is dry right now (from Nana). I think I will hop on the BTS today and ride... just to see what I can see. A friend says there is flooding BEFORE the On Nut station, which is still quite a distance from where I am. On Nut used to be the 'last stop' on the Sukhumvit line, but 3-4 new stops have been added, so the route now goes to BEARING. Not sure where THAT is....
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Just wondering how is the water supply and general hygeine. Typical western media are showing advisories but thought people on the ground would have first-hand knowledge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.