Search

Best of BKK outside of Farang-land?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:37 pm
JMR
Original Poster

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Best of BKK outside of Farang-land?

Many threads include posts advocating the value of getting away from Farang-land.

I'm game. Where should I go? What should I do? Assume I am staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in January.

Eats?

Sites?

Temples?

Everyday Thai living?

Great, non-special massage?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, marriott plat
Why would you want a non-special massage?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by swampfox1001
Why would you want a non-special massage?
Or indeed what makes a
Great
non- special massage ?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
Or indeed what makes a non- special massage ?
Generally: short chubby middle-aged women.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:42 pm

There's a street a block away from Tesco On-Nut (north west) that is full of massage places. It was something like 100 baht per hour or maybe 150. Go for the two hour.

Restaurants? They're everywhere!

The temples around Bangkok are full of tourists from everywhere (including Thai tourists).

Really though, with many posters "advocating the value of getting away from Farang-land.", I believe they mean getting away from Bangkok. Bangkok is quite different than the rest of the country.

EDIT : Sorry just Googled your hotel. It's quite far from my On Nut recommendation for a massage. Maybe try taking the skytrain over to Thonburi and just walking around. I got off at the last stop and walked to the King Taksin monument. I was the only farang around, people were looking and pointing at me, but there was not much to see during the walk (except for a local food market).
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:27 pm

Lotsa stuff happening up by Thonglor & Ekamai. Mostly younger Thai middle & upper class crowds with a modern cross cultural or westernized view. Good food, cool shops, & fun bars. Authentic Thai - not hardly, but it's a glimpse of the young modern Bangkok. A million miles from the ROS & the river though (in more ways than one). Here's a map for ya: http://thonglor-ekamai.com/
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Wat Po Massage:
http://www.watpomassage.com/2009/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...l-Bangkok.html

Your hotel is adjacent to Chinatown, which is a large area, and you can walk around, as there is always something interesting to see, to capture on camera or to eat. To visit another part of Chinatown, take a tuk tuk or a taxi and go to Sempheng.

All tourists do it, mostly in groups, but you should not miss it: take a private long tail boat and visit the canals. The hotel can arrange this for you.
You can also use the public boat system (2 stops next the hotel) as it is a nice and inexpensive way to see a part of town from the river.

The Chatuchak market on weekends. BTS: Mo Chit station or MRT: Chatuchak Park station.

The Saturday night Antique Market. MRT station: Ladphrao.

The MBK Shopping Center: impressive.

If you want to have a taste of India, while you are in Bangkok, go to Pahurat.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
One of our hidden pleasures is grabbing a couple of cafe lattes and heading over Lumpini Park just before dawn... it's nice and cool for a relaxing and shockingly quiet (for Bangkok) walk around the lake. Stop and watch the locals going through their tai chi moves (or join in)... so peaceful.

Trust me. You won't see many farang in that area at that hour.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mr&mrs
One of our hidden pleasures is grabbing a couple of cafe lattes and heading over Lumpini Park just before dawn... it's nice and cool for a relaxing and shockingly quiet (for Bangkok) walk around the lake. Stop and watch the locals going through their tai chi moves (or join in)... so peaceful.

But will you see the monitor lizards at that hour?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
But will you see the monitor lizards at that hour?
ROFL... naw... no farang to eat...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mr&mrs

Agree with this tip....though for me it is a visit for my daily run. I cannot do it with the cafe latte...it keeps spilling.

In my experience, there were numerous farang in the park during the early morning with the same mission as I; getting a run in before the heat of the day builds up. But overall it was very quiet and peaceful. Numerous tai chi groups and a rather fun looking aerobic "jazzersize-type" class in one corner, complete with music on the loudspeaker and spandex-clad instructors.

Food stalls set up at the park entrance for the post exercise nourishment. Thai coffee after a run is the perfect pick-me-up.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
It is thoroughly farang, being a tourist activity, but not your usual glimpse of Bangkok - one of the half-day bicycle tours, beginning in Chinatown and crossing the river to the Wat Po side (assuming the waters recede by the time you plan to travel). If you are American, the one founded by a Dutch guy is fun - the Dutch tourists outnumber Americans, in our experience.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:27 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I am shocked that this thread has not taken off. With the number of expats we have here. Why are the best of Non-Farangland being shared.

Here's a good, easy one. Great for people that like to stay close to the SkyTrain.

BanRei Cafe, a few meters from the Ekkamai skytrain station, open 24 hours.

Try the ancient coffee (boran style)... my favorite

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...118445,00.html

http://bkkpost.9destinations.com/foo...44994/?xPage=1

That's my tidbit, now I dare posters to each post one great non-touristy spot to this thread
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:48 pm

This is more for expats: The Wine Pub at the Pullman. Good deals on wine (FOR THAILAND) and different deals every night. Being owned by King Power might have something to do with it. Unbelievable array of salumi and stinky runny cheeses on Thurs for cheap. They throw in a bottle of quaff-able Chilean Cab too. Been many times but can't remember how much, thinking 800 or so. Last Mon of the month they have a 5 wine and 5 cheese class for 99B too. LINK: http://www.pullmanbangkokkingpower.c...s/#wp-wine-pub wj

Last edited by whackyjacky; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by JMR
Many threads include posts advocating the value of getting away from Farang-land.
Not to be too picky, but the OP is from NY. By definition any place you go IS Farang-land. <--Thai size smile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.