FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Domestic/Internal Flights in Thailand: News and Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1231205-domestic-internal-flights-thailand-news-advice.html)

dedicatedshopper Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Domestic/Internal Flights in Thailand: News and Advice

I need to book flights to travel between Bangkok, Chiang Rai and Khao Lak in July/August. I just wanted to get an idea of what airling people recommend using and what to look out for in terms of hidden fees etc. Any help would really be appreciated.

sim510 Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm

On another travel forum (fodors) folks talk about a Bangkok Airways pass of some sort that allows for 3 destinations. You might check into that one.

DJGMaster1 Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

In my experience, Air Asia and Nok Air are perfectly decent discount carriers. Bangkok Airways is highly over-priced relative to those two, unless you are going somewhere that only they fly to, such as the BKK-Siem Reap route, or BKK to Koh Samui. And in that case, I would encourage you to use their Discovery Airpass, which is for 3-6 legs of travel and must be bought from outside of Thailand in advance, but gets the Bangkok Airways fares into nearly the same realm as the two discount airlines I mentioned before, Nok Air and Air Asia.

ak333 Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am

Just as another data point, I have been pleasantly surprised with Air Asia's domestic Thai service.

I also had an experience with 1-2-3 GO (Orient Thai) that was booked for me, that was, umm interesting. Not that I recommend them, but their prices are usually inexpensive.

seanthepilot Jun 29, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by DJGMaster1 (Post 16641810)
In my experience, Air Asia and Nok Air are perfectly decent discount carriers. Bangkok Airways is highly over-priced relative to those two, unless you are going somewhere that only they fly to, such as the BKK-Siem Reap route, or BKK to Koh Samui. And in that case, I would encourage you to use their Discovery Airpass, which is for 3-6 legs of travel and must be bought from outside of Thailand in advance, but gets the Bangkok Airways fares into nearly the same realm as the two discount airlines I mentioned before, Nok Air and Air Asia.

Originally Posted by ak333 (Post 16645305)
Just as another data point, I have been pleasantly surprised with Air Asia's domestic Thai service.

I also had an experience with 1-2-3 GO (Orient Thai) that was booked for me, that was, umm interesting. Not that I recommend them, but their prices are usually inexpensive.

No offense, but Bangkok Airways currently has the cheapest promo BKK-HKT, cheaper than Air Asia, Nok Air, and Orient Thai... only if they have V class available on that day.... 1850THB TAX IN

yycworldtraveler Jun 29, 2011 12:20 pm

I find Bangkok Airways to have excellent prices on routes that have real competition. They would be my first choice on routes like BKK-CNX or HKT.

On routes with limited or non-existent competition they are quite expensive.

chcor70 Jun 29, 2011 1:02 pm

i have also been pleasantly surprised by airasia service and brand new planes...book far enough ahead and they are great.

dedicatedshopper Jun 29, 2011 1:22 pm

So if the Air Asia flights are about $70 cheaper than getting us Thai Airways Discovery passes, which would you go for? (we are going to be on honeymoon if it makes a difference)

dsquared37 Jun 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by dedicatedshopper (Post 16646587)
So if the Air Asia flights are about $70 cheaper than getting us Thai Airways Discovery passes, which would you go for? (we are going to be on honeymoon if it makes a difference)

Are you talking about Bangkok Airways Discovery pass or a THAI pass? Is it $70 cheaper for each flight (unlikely) or the whole multi-segment purchase?

If you're talking about $70 for several segments I'd say go with the Discovery Airpass. You'll have some food and drinks, free bags up to 20kg, 30kg if you join their FFP FlyerBonus, and a lounge, depending upon which airports you're departing from.

bangkokiscool Jun 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot (Post 16645718)
No offense, but Bangkok Airways currently has the cheapest promo BKK-HKT, cheaper than Air Asia, Nok Air, and Orient Thai... only if they have V class available on that day.... 1850THB TAX IN

True, and PG has better checked bags policy as well, which can get pretty high on Air Asia. However, I must say the last time I flew BKK-HKT on PG I was shocked at the condition of the Airbus. Dirtiest plane I've flown in Asia in a long time, with carpet so threadbare you could see the floor of the plane at each passenger seat where feet would rest.

Chopsticks Jun 30, 2011 5:32 am

For a $ 70.00 difference I'd go on Thai, for sure. To me it would be worth it.

EmailKid Jul 9, 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chopsticks (Post 16650233)
For a $ 70.00 difference I'd go on Thai, for sure. To me it would be worth it.

Can you get *A miles for those flights?

EmailKid

Chopsticks Jul 9, 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by emailkid (Post 16700539)
Can you get *A miles for those flights?

EmailKid

In principal that depends on your booking class, but TG obviously is a *A carrier so if the class you are booked in qualifies for mileage, then yes.

joy16 Jul 10, 2011 1:58 am

Yes, all domestic flights earn at least 500 miles to ROP but I'm not sure for other *A FFP.

dsquared37 Jul 10, 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by joy16 (Post 16701653)
Yes, all domestic flights earn at least 500 miles to ROP but I'm not sure for other *A FFP.

This summer they've been advertising domestic flights will earch 1000miles per segment. I know UA credits every domestic TG fare class, but only at actual mileage.