Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Koh Samui vs. Khao Lak vs. Langkawi

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Koh Samui vs. Khao Lak vs. Langkawi

I am trying to finalize my trip to SE Asia with my wife and I want my wife to really relax and enjoy rather than actively go around and see things for at least 3-4 days. Aside from this trip, we are planning to visit Siem Reap for 3 days and Kuala Lumpur for few days. And we are coming off from a very tight and busy 7 day travels in Australia so some relaxation may be necessary.

So, for the 3-4 day getaway, I am thinking of Koh Samui vs. Khao Lak vs. Langkawi. I am SPG PLAT and HH Silver (to be Gold by the trip) so the resort choices at each site is pretty much set to either Starwood or Hilton hotels (partly using points and partly on cash).

I have been hearing and reading so many good things about LM Khao Lak that I am already leaning towards to Khao Lak as opposed to Koh Samui (Conrad - all on points). Plus, it's a bit of pain to get to Koh Samui (+ added cost). Since I am planning to arrive in KUL, Langkawi is another natural choice and it's cheap to get there...and has nice selection of *Wood hotels.

So, in your view, which would you choose? Khao Lak (LM Khao Lak) vs. Koh Samui (Conrad) vs. Langkawi (various *WOOD hotels)...
Old May 8, 2011, 7:26 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I really liked Langkawi, i have been on Samui but not at the Conrad. Samui is beautiful.
I cant comment on the LM in Khao Lak, but i will be visiting it next month.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Koh Samui I thought was overpriced and not worth the time or effort. The resort I stayed in was not worth it at all (work paid so hard to complain too much). It just felt like an overpriced, over hyped, over publicized "not worth it" type of destination. My second stay was just as bad, my third stay I paid extra just to leave a few days early and go to another thai location.

Khao Lak... Stayed there on advice of another BM and loved it. Hated my stays in Phuket but really enjoyed LM in Khao Lak. Very romantic and had a nice bungalow upgrade. I will return...

Lagkawi... sorry can't comment. But in Thailand avoid Samui and go to Khao Lak or another destination.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I was getting some sense that Koh Samui was a bit over-rated and getting necessary HH points to get a 4 night award would have been a bit of a hassle. If it was Maldives Conrad, I'd probably work very hard to get the points necessary, but since it's Thailand... there wasn't a too big of an incentive to work my way around to get the award booking (albeit Conrad Koh Samui looks great).

I have made my decision to go with Khao Lak and book one of the villa rooms... I can get stay 2 nights get third free rate, making per day cost down to 130 USD per night in a villa room at LM Khao Lak!
Old May 9, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

I have been to Langkawi, but not to Phuket and Koh Samui. I went to Langkawi at a time when I had had no experience travelling in SEA. It was my first trip to that part of the world. At that time also Phuket was better known than Langkawi. Even people who had never been out of the U.S. asked me if I went to Phuket, after I came back from my trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Since then, I have thought of going to Phuket or Koh Samui. I found Koh Samui to be overpriced and Phuket overrun by western tourists. My suggestion would be Langkawi.
Since then I have looked into going to Phuket or Koh Samui. I think, both, Phuket and Koh Samui attract more tourists than Langkawi.
I rented a small motorbike and road around the island (I was backpacking). You will have to get away from the area with concentration of hotels in order to enjoy the island.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I can only comment Koh Samui v Langkawi

They are very different places. Samui is very touristy, fairly expensive by Thai standards and has been over-developed in the last 5-10 years - but it hasn't gone as far as Phuket. It's still a fun place, great beaches and fairly safe (as long as you don't rent a motorbike). It's a good choice if it's your first trip to Thailand/SE Asia.

Langakwi is the island where nothing ever happens and almost everything shuts down by midnight. Go there for peace, relaxation but don't go for a party. It's perfect for a honeymoon. It's also a tax-free island so things (esp alcohol) are much cheaper than elsewhere in Malaysia.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
you can see all kinds of wildlife in Langkawi that you won't see in Phuket/Samui: Hornbills, flying squirrels, lemurs, virgin rainforests, etc. It is wonderful for nature.

Beaches/dining are better overall in Phuket and Samui.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tncjoey
you can see all kinds of wildlife in Langkawi that you won't see in Phuket/Samui: Hornbills, flying squirrels, lemurs, virgin rainforests, etc. It is wonderful for nature.

Beaches/dining are better overall in Phuket and Samui.
Hmmm interesting. I still haven't finalized my trip in SE Asia (with an exception of REP visit) so everything is possible and have enough SPG points to cover hotels in both places (except for Koh Samui).

I have actually got rid of Samui as an option now since it seems like over-developed over-rated place where I have to work hard to get the points needed to have award stay at Conrad there.

Langkawi may be a really nice suggestion and alternative to HKT but not sure if Khao Lak can be a perfect alternative to Langkawi.

I am traveling with my wife and we naturally don't like crazy partying and late night heavy drinking/bar visits So, Phuket was never really a consideration for me, except to visit Khao Lak, which is about 90 minutes away from Phuket.

Don't get me started on Pattaya! I saw someone wanted to take his wife to Pattaya for 10 days on their vacation and my jaws dropped!
Old May 12, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Having been to HKT and USM (but not LGK) I find these generalizations a bit misleading.

The entire island of Samui isn't a red-light party district. We found it varied greatly hotel by hotel. We stayed at the Peace Resort, which was mobbed with loud Germans, but all the other hotels along Bophut Beach were tranquil and empty, day & night. Chaweng would have been different still.

Same thing in Phuket. If you stay at the remote Chedi on Pansea Beach, for example, you'll have a completely different experience than if you stay in Patong or on the oppsite side of the island.

I think it depends a lot on where specifically you go, just like the experience at South Beach in Miami is very different than Vero Beach, a few miles up the coast.

David
--
Originally Posted by brahms77
Hmmm interesting. I still haven't finalized my trip in SE Asia (with an exception of REP visit) so everything is possible and have enough SPG points to cover hotels in both places (except for Koh Samui).

I have actually got rid of Samui as an option now since it seems like over-developed over-rated place where I have to work hard to get the points needed to have award stay at Conrad there.

Langkawi may be a really nice suggestion and alternative to HKT but not sure if Khao Lak can be a perfect alternative to Langkawi.

I am traveling with my wife and we naturally don't like crazy partying and late night heavy drinking/bar visits So, Phuket was never really a consideration for me, except to visit Khao Lak, which is about 90 minutes away from Phuket.

Don't get me started on Pattaya! I saw someone wanted to take his wife to Pattaya for 10 days on their vacation and my jaws dropped!
Old May 12, 2011, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IndyDavid
Having been to HKT and USM (but not LGK) I find these generalizations a bit misleading.

The entire island of Samui isn't a red-light party district. We found it varied greatly hotel by hotel. We stayed at the Peace Resort, which was mobbed with loud Germans, but all the other hotels along Bophut Beach were tranquil and empty, day & night. Chaweng would have been different still.

Same thing in Phuket. If you stay at the remote Chedi on Pansea Beach, for example, you'll have a completely different experience than if you stay in Patong or on the oppsite side of the island.

I think it depends a lot on where specifically you go, just like the experience at South Beach in Miami is very different than Vero Beach, a few miles up the coast.

David
--
Thanks David for your comments. You are absolutely correct. In Thailand it really depends on what hotel you choose. Even in Pattya, I heard that Sheraton is a great property... so perhaps that person I was referring was going there. In Phuket, I am thinking of going to Le Meridien Khao Lak. It has been reviewed a lot here on FT and many FTers and SPG plats seemed to have enjoyed this property (really no bad feedback about this property and having low rates compared to others also helps).
Old May 17, 2011, 11:39 am
cln

We loved the Andaman and the great upgrad we received at the Sheraton Langkawi. The service at the Sheraton was not perfect but it was and excellent stay and we promised we are going back to Langkawi soon.
The daytrips were wonderful and much cheaper compared to the trips in thailand.
Langkawi is really worth a visit.

I just booked the LM Khao Lak with BRG for 2500THB++ next month.
The JW Marriott Khao Lak is also getting very good reviews. I will also stay at the JW for 2 nights.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't know when your trip is, but if it's this summer you should ahve a look here:

http://bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-t...days-fares.php

Samui can be had for 4000B r/t at the moment.

Puket is also on sale at a much cheaper rate.

I can't speak for the higher end hotels, but, as some said just up thread, the various beaches can give incredibly different feels. I would never stay in Chaweng (on Samui) but had a relaxing time with reasonably priced local foods south on Lamai. Everything is relative.

Also, you can get to Phuket (Khao Lak) and Samui with ease. For LGK you'll need to transfer AFAIK.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cln
The daytrips were wonderful and much cheaper compared to the trips in thailand.
If you are refering to Langkawi, your statement is grossly inaccurate.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:42 am
cln

Originally Posted by mario33
If you are refering to Langkawi, your statement is grossly inaccurate.
it is not. I'm coming to Phuket and Samui for years. The one day excursions and car rentals were much cheaper on LGK. you could get rental cars for 40 Ringit.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cln
it is not. I'm coming to Phuket and Samui for years. The one day excursions and car rentals were much cheaper on LGK. you could get rental cars for 40 Ringit.
A $10 rental? How did the Yugo handle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.