Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thai - Cambodia Clashes & Border Crossings

Old Apr 24, 11, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum

Is are current Thai - Cambodian clashes affecting border crossings to/from either?? and, any recent history of the clashes spreading beyond the disputed regions??
Old Apr 24, 11, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Well, the previous clashes occurred at Khao Phra Vihaan/Preah Vihear (depending upon which language you speak) and now they are taking place 100km to the west. Could they escalate to other areas? Absolutely.

Will it affect border crossings? No chance. At least not for the forseeable future.
Old Apr 25, 11, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by idriveuride View Post
Is are current Thai - Cambodian clashes affecting border crossings to/from either?? and, any recent history of the clashes spreading beyond the disputed regions??
I crossed from Thailand into Cambodia at Poipet on April 23rd. Things were going on as if nothing had happened although the touts tried to scare us into going with them citing the clashes between Cambodia and Thailand. No one seems to be concerned. I have talked to people who left for the border today, unconcerned about the clashes.
Old Apr 25, 11, 4:18 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
The clashes are in the North Region which does not affect 99.999% of the normal tourist areas. The entire border region is in under a high state of tension between the two countries and when the borders were "supposedly" closed to Thai / Cambodia citizens crossing, they were warm / friendly and accommodating to me and my Thai friend.

I live in PP with a thai lady right now and we go back to Thailand often, her brother happens to be a soldier at the temple on the Thai side which makes for interesting pillow talk . The Cambodians treat me as a Foreigner wonderfully and even my Thai lady admits that the Cambodians treat her just as wonderful as they treat me, even when they know she is from Thai.

Will the clashes spread... I personally suspect the clashes will spread, but will based all on the borders. Will not close FOREIGNERS from border crossings and will not affect any foreigners stay in the majority of the tourist areas.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: