FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Short term access to an athletic spin class, where, price? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1200346-short-term-access-athletic-spin-class-where-price.html)

FatManInNYC Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Short term access to an athletic spin class, where, price?

Trying to find a spin class, or access to a real, spd-pedal spin bike during my upcoming stay in BKK. The four seasons has spinners available, but out of my price range.

Some of the fitnessfirst gyms have spin bikes and classes, but to the best I can determine, they do not accommodate short time memberships.

Suggestions for getting access to a spinner on a short time basis?

FatManInNYC Apr 1, 2011 1:01 am

Poor word choice by me. I've asked the mods to change the header to read "spin class."

FatManInNYC Apr 1, 2011 9:03 pm

California Wow

To answer my own question: the California Wow gyms have spin bikes and classes. The one on Sukumvit offers a few classes every day and has two different levels of classes.

I signed up for a one-month only membership for 1500 THB. The price could actually be less with some negotiation. As soon as I accepted the quoted price the salesperson smirked that little "gotcha" smile and I think I heard cash registers going off in his head.

Long-term memberships are said (on other IBBs) to cost between 850 and 1050 THB per month, so the price did not seem unreasonable.

FatManInNYC Apr 3, 2011 9:52 pm

Westin has one

Of all things ... the Westin Grande Sukhumvit has a spin bike in its gym. I was running late this morning so I decided to give the WestinWorkout a try, and it turns out I could have given it "a spin."

I had called the gym previously to make inquiry, but the concept of spin-bike and spinner bike was, one supposes, lost in translation.

To bad I already bought the Cal Wow membership ... and that I'm changing hotels today.

seanthepilot Apr 4, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for reporting back on your finds. Despite the lack of responses, I think going forward this thread could be a good resource for comparing fitness clubs, their amenities, and prices.

MegatopLover Apr 5, 2011 6:18 am

Is the 1500-baht one-month membership to California Wow generally and regularly available? A couple of years ago, I tried to buy one-day passes, and they wanted 1000 baht! That's worse than a one-day pass to Equinox in Manhattan. 1500 for a month is more reasonable. And if I could get it for two months, all the better, as I have two visits upcoming.

Is the one-month membership valid for all locations, or just the one where you sign up?

FatManInNYC Apr 7, 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 16162909)
Is the 1500-baht one-month membership to California Wow generally and regularly available? A couple of years ago, I tried to buy one-day passes, and they wanted 1000 baht! That's worse than a one-day pass to Equinox in Manhattan. 1500 for a month is more reasonable. And if I could get it for two months, all the better, as I have two visits upcoming.

Is the one-month membership valid for all locations, or just the one where you sign up?

I have no insight as to how regularly it is offered. I simply walked into the Asoke location, took a quick tour, handed over 1500 thb and was given what looks like a free-pass card with one month written into the dates. No contract, nothing but what is described above.

I was advised the membership is only good at the Asoke location, but will try the Silom one tomorrow and report back. (Moved hotels from the Westin to the Le Meridien.)

FatManInNYC Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 16162909)

I was able to use my pass at the Silom location, after having bought it at the Sukhumvit gym, without issue. YMMV