Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Buying SIMS cards before going to Thailand ::

Buying SIMS cards before going to Thailand ::

Old Sep 29, 10, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Exclamation Buying SIMS cards before going to Thailand ::

Hi all,
I have searched for the answer to my question but I could not find it..Therefore I have started another thread concerning this..A bunch of us (30) will be going to Thailand in Nov 2010 and we would like to know where we can buy SIM cards for our iPhones and cell phones just to use while we are in the country. Can we purchase them now even though we are not there yet ? Do we have to be in Thailand to actually buy them ?
Thanks for help
Old Sep 29, 10, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I don't know if it's possible to buy them out of country - but I do know it's very, very easy to buy on arrival at BKK airport. As soon as you come out from the customs hall there are phone counters right there - even before you have to wade through all the people in the arrivals area. All you need is a passport and ~300 baht...I guess it might take awhile to process 30 cards - but all in all, not too much hassle.
Old Sep 30, 10, 11:01 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
You can, or others can buy and send to you, just pay into their paypal account or such. You need a SIM and a refill card for each phone.

I think I will be there in a week and am happy to do for you but really you not need.

Go to any 7/11 or family mart and pick them up once you get to your hotel. It is a simple issue. Depending where you are going I'd use AIS for Bangkok / Chonburi and most developed areas but DTAC is better for up country and TrueMove is making headway in some parts of the country...
Old Sep 30, 10, 11:15 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I guess I did not answer your question also.. You can buy from ebay or companies like this

http://www.cellularabroad.com/thailandSIMcard.php

However to give you an example they are selling a 300 baht time card for 24 USD... the cost is 300 baht which is 10 USD... so they are jacking you around by over double.

The Sim card was what 69 when really it is like a few baht...

I'd find a local to buy and mail to you if you really WANT ahead of time. I admit I love having my thai numbers active at landing but it isn't necessary.

Just make sure your phones are really / fully unlocked. If you use T Mobile or such swap an ATT in it or such or otehr sim card in USA just to be SURE your phones are unlocked.

If you get to thai and unlock at MBK, Pantip, TukCom or many many places all over if you don't have your phones unlocked. Watch switching your sims in and out my friend had his Galaxy on ATT that he jailbreaked had it lock up on him last trip...
Old Sep 30, 10, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rwm818 View Post
All you need is a passport and ~300 baht...I guess it might take awhile to process 30 cards - but all in all, not too much hassle.
That is an expensive SIM card. And I don't remember being asked for ID for any SIM I've purchased in Thailand.

You should be able to pick up cards for between 0 and 50 Baht, depending upon where you go and which promotions are available.

I will also be in Thailand several times in the next few weeks and can possibly help you out.

One word of caution: My cheaper N American phones do not work wth Asia based SIMs and v.v. YMMV.

Last edited by dsquared37; Sep 30, 10 at 9:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 10, 12:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post

One word of caution: My cheaper N American phones do not work wth Asia based SIMs and v.v. YMMV.
What do you mean by 'cheaper N American' phones? I know nothing about data, but any cheap unlocked quad-band phone (and many others) will work fine for regular voice calls with Thai sim cards. The unlocked Samsung I use now for most of Asia cost me $29. on e-bay brand new.
Old Oct 1, 10, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr View Post
What do you mean by 'cheaper N American' phones? I know nothing about data, but any cheap unlocked quad-band phone (and many others) will work fine for regular voice calls with Thai sim cards. The unlocked Samsung I use now for most of Asia cost me $29. on e-bay brand new.
None of the handful of cheap ($25) Nokia bought in Thailand (i've destroyed a few) have worked with a T-Mobile SIM card (when in NA) and my cheap ($30) Nokia bought in N America doesn't work with any of my Asia SIM cards.

That's exactly what I meant.

I also indicated "YMMV".
Old Oct 2, 10, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
None of the handful of cheap ($25) Nokia bought in Thailand (i've destroyed a few) have worked with a T-Mobile SIM card (when in NA) and my cheap ($30) Nokia bought in N America doesn't work with any of my Asia SIM cards.

That's exactly what I meant.

I also indicated "YMMV".
No need to get testy.
That's because they weren't quad band. I assumed that by now everyone knew you needed a (unlocked) quad in order to switch between Asia-Europe-USA. For some reason, Nokia's cheapest phones rarely are, while Samsung, and Motorola (and others I'm sure) have many many cheap quad models. I was a die-hard Nokia user for many years, and switched for this very reason.
Old Oct 2, 10, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr View Post
No need to get testy.
That's because they weren't quad band. I assumed that by now everyone knew you needed a (unlocked) quad in order to switch between Asia-Europe-USA. For some reason, Nokia's cheapest phones rarely are, while Samsung, and Motorola (and others I'm sure) have many many cheap quad models. I was a die-hard Nokia user for many years, and switched for this very reason.
And the very reason for YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 10, 4:31 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
www.gsmarena.com allows an advanced search for phone models by many criteria, including by multiple bands.

My Thai phone number works at home. I just don't answer it because the cost per call is too high.
Old Oct 6, 10, 10:24 pm

Cheap phone in Thailand is dual-band for Asia and works fine in the region.
Cheap phone from N America is also dual band and works fine only in N. America.
Unlocked quad [or tri-band if you can find one] is the only way to go to insure they work worldwide....readily available on eBay for $25 (good example is the samsung t339 model).

As far as OP's question, you can normally get a prepaid account for about B150, which includes 'x' baht of minutes. I have an old 1-2Call prepaid that I top off once a year with B100 and therefore renews expiration for another 12 months.

If you're thinking of getting 30 accounts, you're probably better off going to MBK, visit one of the many booths that sell prepaid vanity numbers, get them to set everything up and then go back to pick up an hour later [while the group window shops].
Old Oct 14, 10, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
OOPs....I see you are in Europe so your unlocked GSM phone will work great in Thailand ,

what I wrote below is for USA-Canada phones....

I offered some last year with only a few`takers for about $5 I think,

First your I-phone needs to be jail broken so its not on AT+T , its 4 band out of the box but locked to AT+T, also if its` an Iphone 4 it needs the smaller sim card,

as said before most USA cheap phones only have USA GSM bands , AT+T and Tmobile are the USA GSM carriers, you can google the phones model number and see if its 4 band, they may unlock it for free if you tell them you are using it overseas.

MBK is a good choice , its on the BTS Skytrain at National stadium,
in fact you can buy a cheap phone at the Nana BTS Station -there is a phone shop thats not always open.......

You can also buy a Sim at 7-11 but thats the hard way as it will be in Thai and harder to set up.....

Rally

Last edited by rally; Oct 14, 10 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 16, 10, 6:33 am

7-11 store

I just returned back from Thailland. You just go to any 7-11 shop and ask for 12call card and it will cost you 100 bhats intiallly with some 30 free minutes. After that you can load either 50 or 100 bhats as you need. BTW, you need to have an unlocked cell phone. It is over-priced at the Airport though.
Old Oct 16, 10, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/3MM UA 1MM, HY Globalist, MR Titanium, HH Gld
You will pay the standard 100 baht for the sim card at the airport with Dtac or Ais, where you have English speaking agents who are very proficient at configuring international phones on the Thai system.

The agents can also assist with setting up and explaining the various promotions that the companies are always running. The agents will assist with setting up English prompts, voice mail and data service. The phone agents can usually explain the best process for Thailand originating international calls which can save a bundle of money.

IMO the airport mobile phone desks are the way to go for new visitors to Thailand and outweigh any discount that you might find at MBK.
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Thank you all for the great advice..BTW.. I am from Sweden and have a iphone. My phone is unlocked already Thankyou Telnor.....I am just really looking to post pictures on my FB and Twitter accounts and most likely call the states once or twice. Thinking the best option is do it it at the airport..I will have a 2 hour wait until everyone else gets in soooo I could have everything done by that time..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: