Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

What's Thailand like lately?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

I did not go last year due to the protests. Thinking about this November again. Are things still as dicey these days or is their any more stability to the political situation?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Even during the height of the protests in the Spring, it was only dangerous for a fairly brief amount of time in a very limited geographic area. Essentially, you were fine if you stayed away from that neighborhood. And now? Go and enjoy.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:02 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thailand is fine for tourists. Not so fine if you're in politics.

In a country of 70 million people, the problems of last year were limited to several small areas of the country, many of which were in Bangkok. You could then, and still can avoid any political or safety issues without much trouble.

The underlying problems in Thailand run deep and have existed for a long time. They still have protests taking place, and government restrictions. Don't expect any quick solution. Nor should you expect it to ruin a good holiday.

In fact, the best time to visit Thailand may be this year, if you're looking for a deal. For example, our hotel has lowered it's rates to $15 per night. High season rates don't go much over doulble that.

Mix in cheap and delicious food, the weather, the culture, the diversity of having beaches, cities, small towns, luxury and budget accommodation, reliable medical care (in case of emergencies) and the relative safety as a tourist destination... you can't go wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Fantastic

Mrs. 419er and I just spent nearly 3 weeks in Bangkok (late July early August - with a weekend side trip to Surat Thani) and loved every minute. Other than the fact that you have to shop at Siam Paragon (love the 3rd floor automobile zone) instead of Central World, there were no issues whatsoever.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Thanks. I was stuck there 2 years ago during the airport protests so it wasn't such a good experience, and i said i'd never go back. IS Siam square still a good location to stay or has it suffered much during the clashes last year?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by 419er
Other than the fact that you have to shop at Siam Paragon (love the 3rd floor automobile zone) instead of Central World, there were no issues whatsoever.
Oh no! I forgot about that. Where will the beer festival be? That is one of my favorite things to do in Bangkok. It's like Asian Oktoberfest for two months. Can't beat that!!!!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by 419er
Other than the fact that you have to shop at Siam Paragon (love the 3rd floor automobile zone) instead of Central World
...not anymore you don't: Central World is reopening by the end of the month. (Or so they claim.)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: most of them
Right the part of CentralWorld they were able to fix quickly is supposed to open on 28 Sept. Obviously rebuilding Zen will take a while. I am guessing they will find a way to get the various beer gardens opened up again as well.

http://www.centralworld.co.th/Default-en.aspx
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Right the part of CentralWorld they were able to fix quickly is supposed to open on 28 Sept. Obviously rebuilding Zen will take a while. I am guessing they will find a way to get the various beer gardens opened up again as well.

http://www.centralworld.co.th/Default-en.aspx
3/4 of that veranda where the beer gardens reside is open so I don't see that this will be an issue.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Just spent the weekend in BKK - no problems at all. From the airport to downtown. Went around to MBK, Chitlom area, etc.

Everything fine - except for the $ to baht exchange rate!!!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Yep, the exchange rate sucks. Off 10+ bht since my last visit.
On the up side, if you're near a consulate in the us, the 90 day tourist visas are free until the end of the year(as I remember). Does away with those pesky visa runs, visa renewals and airport bribe.....er, fines.....
Go, enjoy and don't look back.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by holiosan
Yep, the exchange rate sucks. Off 10+ bht since my last visit.
How many years since you've been in Thailand? The exchange is hovering at 30B/USD and hasn't been 40B/USD in close to 5 years!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Spring '05 during Songkran. Went and got married and responsible.
'00 to '05 it seemed to hover around 40-45, as I remember.
5 weeks there this year and resuming yearly Thai Yoga Massage study visits.
Nothing like being a student in Chiang Mai for a month to re-calibrate life.
Sabai, Sabai!!!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: most of them
I seem to recall 40-45 baht to the dollar during my first visit in 2006. Been declining since then. I think last Nov it was around 35, now down to 30... How low can it go?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Was in BKK a week ago. Everything was fine. There had eveidently been a peaceful protest while we were in Bhutan a few days before, but nothing I could see was a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.