Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Hotel and sight-see Recommendations in Bangkok and veggie food questions

Hotel and sight-see Recommendations in Bangkok and veggie food questions

Old Jan 2, 11, 4:54 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles area
Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Posts: 258
How did you like the aquarium ?

What did they charge and did it seem to be the same price for Thais ?

Thanks

RB
redondo-beach is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 5:55 pm
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SAT / MAA / BOM
Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Posts: 5,110
Originally Posted by redondo-beach View Post
How did you like the aquarium ?

What did they charge and did it seem to be the same price for Thais ?

Thanks

RB
Aquarium was a lot of fun! My nephew said that was what he enjoyed the most.

We paid 890THB per person. This included general walkaround, one 10-minute ride on a boat which has a transparent bottom to see the fish, one walk (20 minute) (behind the scenes dealy); one popcorn, one pepsi; and one 4D movie.; Plus, a 20 minute fish-foot-massage.
The movie was really a fun experience (20 minutes).

The cheapest ticket is 800THB...this includes only the general walkaround. So, not a great deal.

I think everyone paid same price (not positive)
snod08 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 7:12 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Originally Posted by snod08 View Post
Aquarium was a lot of fun! My nephew said that was what he enjoyed the most.

We paid 890THB per person. This included general walkaround, one 10-minute ride on a boat which has a transparent bottom to see the fish, one walk (20 minute) (behind the scenes dealy); one popcorn, one pepsi; and one 4D movie.; Plus, a 20 minute fish-foot-massage.
The movie was really a fun experience (20 minutes).

The cheapest ticket is 800THB...this includes only the general walkaround. So, not a great deal.

I think everyone paid same price (not positive)
Not possible ! At 900 baht they would never get a Thai in the door. LINK:http://www.thai-blogs.com/2008/07/21...oubles-prices/
whackyjacky is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 9:00 pm
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SAT / MAA / BOM
Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Posts: 5,110
Originally Posted by whackyjacky View Post
Not possible ! At 900 baht they would never get a Thai in the door. LINK:http://www.thai-blogs.com/2008/07/21...oubles-prices/
Thanks for that article!

I did not look closely to see if there were two pricing lists. THere was only one price advertised prominently on the walls, brochures, etc...perhaps the price for locals was listed elsewhere.
snod08 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 3:42 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles area
Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Posts: 258
So what is the "Thai" price and will they sell you a ticket for that if you are smart enough to ask ?

RB
redondo-beach is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 7:32 pm
  #36  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,868
Originally Posted by redondo-beach View Post
So what is the "Thai" price and will they sell you a ticket for that if you are smart enough to ask ?

RB
How good is your Thai and do you have ID?
yosithezet is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 7:49 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,263
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
How good is your Thai and do you have ID?
Are you suggesting getting a fake Thai ID?
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 12:09 am
  #38  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,868
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Are you suggesting getting a fake Thai ID?
No, just suggesting that the chances are minuscule. I did have a friend pass me off as her husband at Siam Museum and get the Thai price but I didn't even know what was going on.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 12:59 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles area
Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
No, just suggesting that the chances are minuscule. I did have a friend pass me off as her husband at Siam Museum and get the Thai price but I didn't even know what was going on.
Yeah something like that

But what is the Thai price , if it was only 100 baht then no problem , but if my price is about 900 and a Thai price is 300 then I will vote with my feet !

RB
redondo-beach is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 2:22 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Originally Posted by redondo-beach View Post
Yeah something like that

But what is the Thai price , if it was only 100 baht then no problem , but if my price is about 900 and a Thai price is 300 then I will vote with my feet !

RB
You'll be pulling the lever with your tootsies a lot in Thailand then ! Farang price can be 10X as much as Thai. wj
whackyjacky is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 7:29 pm
  #41  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,868
Originally Posted by redondo-beach View Post
Yeah something like that

But what is the Thai price , if it was only 100 baht then no problem , but if my price is about 900 and a Thai price is 300 then I will vote with my feet !

RB
Why will you be voting with your feet? Think of it a different way. Is THB 300 too much for you to pay to see a museum? Let us assume for a moment thah you think it is reasonable to pay THB 300 to see a museum. What do you care if a Thai citizen can see the same museum for THB 50. Does it somehow make the exhibit less interesting to you? Does it cheapen the value to you of seeing the museum? A Thai department store worker makes around THB 8000 / month. I would suggest that the THB 50 they need to pay to see that same museum is as hefty a burden on them as the THB 300 on you. In the US we have state universities. If you are a resident of the state you pay less than you would pay as someone from a different state that wants to attend that university. Is it a double standard? Yes. So what? Just don't concern yourself with the double pricing and go to the things that you want to see that you feel are appropriately priced for you. You aren't Thai so don't concern yourself with the Thai pricing and you'll be fine.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 4, 11 at 11:22 pm
yosithezet is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 11:18 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Amen ! 'Nuff' said. wj
whackyjacky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread