FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1080583-2010-thai-political-demonstration-discussion-thread-re-embassy-warnings.html)

Hvr Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Moderators Note:

The CURRENT DISCUSSION THREAD for 2010 protest information is this thread

on behalf of the Flyertalk Moderating Team
seanthepilot

Hvr Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Australians told to avoid Bangkok over political threat
February 19, 2010 - 10:28AM

Australians have been warned against travelling to Bangkok because of the rising threat of violent protests.

Thailand's own tourism council has said foreign tourists should avoid visiting the capital from February 26 and onwards.

Two attempted bombings and next week's highly-anticipated verdict in the legal case involving former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra have caused tensions to rise.
Suggest this may be of interest to people the world over. As a person who was stuck there in 2008 I would hate to see anyone caught up in the expected turmoil.

Grace B Feb 19, 2010 12:54 am

Archived 2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Originally Posted by Hvr (Post 13419087)
Suggest this may be of interest to people the world over. As a person who was stuck there in 2008 I would hate to see anyone caught up in the expected turmoil.

Scaremongering.

ws8n Feb 19, 2010 1:27 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_492296.html

Feb 19, 2010
Thaksin supporters rally in BK

BANGKOK - SUPPORTERS of deposed Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra demonstrated on Friday in the capital's business district, one week ahead of a potentially explosive court decision on whether the government will confiscate the vast assets of the one-time prime minister.

The US, British, Australian and other embassies issued advisories warning their citizens to stay away from mass political gatherings over the coming days in case violence erupts.

About 200 so-called 'red shirts' gathered in front of the headquarters of the Bangkok Bank on Silom Road and more were expected to join them later in the day.

The target of Friday's protest was General Prem Tinsulanonda, who the loyalists say was a key leader in the military coup that ousted Thaksin in 2006. Thaksin, who was convicted in absentia on conflict-of-interest charges in 2008 and sentenced to two years in prison, lives in exile.

Gen Prem is the president of the Privy Council, which advises the Thai king, and also serves as an adviser to the Bangkok Bank, one of the largest in Thailand.

The United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship - informally known as the 'red shirts' due to their signature garb - claims that Gen Prem helped arrange financing through the Bangkok Bank for a golf course that encroached on the Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary in southeastern Thailand. That allegation, plus other accusations of shady business deals between Gen Prem and the bank, have been denied. -- AP

yosithezet Feb 19, 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Hvr (Post 13419087)

As someone that was on the last plane out in 2008 with the yellow shirts standing at the doors, I only wish that I would have been scheduled on a flight the following day. I can think of no place I'd rather be stuck.

rwm818 Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Agreed!! As someone who just recently got "stuck" in BKK as a result of the US East Coast snowstorms - they said they could get me to Tokyo and then "maybe" to the west coast (SEA/SFO/LAX) or I could just stay a couple extra days...guess which I chose!!

On a more serious note, and as someone who travels to Thailand often...the situation does look like it could be deteriorating again.

madison8 Feb 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Currently just south of Phuket town and see no reason to change plans. My trip so far has been bangkok-chaing mai-bangkok-cambodia-bangkok-phuket. Stayed across the street from the current PM in Bangkok and lots of security but no major issues.

life is good

Putra Feb 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Usually political rally only take places in BKK right? No other major tourist place will affected?

maskedavenger Feb 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Putra (Post 13424858)
Usually political rally only take places in BKK right? No other major tourist place will affected?

Having just spent 4 months in Chiangmai and being an avid jogger, I can tell you that I personally jogged through a few areas that "Red Shirts" had the bull horns and medium sized crowds almost on a daily basis.......downtown, near the police headquarters. I didn't observe any violence, but they had whole streets blocked off and even invaded onto the grounds of the police facility.....:confused: From what was being said as I swept on by.....it seems that they are real angry and not going to take it anymore.

It gets more complicated as the Rak Chiang Mai 51 group also wants the dismissal of Lt. Gen. Somkid Boonthanom a police chief for that region who has been connected to the death of a Saudi businessman in Thailand. He has been indicted, but was still at work, collecting a check, according to the crowds. I don't know if they are fully accurate, as I was thinking the General had a tricky first name.....almost as cool as McLovin.

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 13419312)
Scaremongering.

I really doubt the op had this in mind.....he probably has no personal interest in this (like scaring anyone for personal gain), just a belief that his information might be helpful to others in the decision making process.

DullesJason Feb 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 13419312)
Scaremongering.

Oh, reeeeeally? Yeah, you're probably right. It could *never* happen in Thailand. ;)

The again, the political protests haven't necessarily been "dangerous" as much as a major hassle for travelers.

What can be called dangerous, however, are the bombs that have gone off, and of course the civil unrest in the south.

trooper Feb 21, 2010 12:22 am

To be accurate the Australian Government has only recommended Aussies exercise a "High Degree of Caution" in Bangkok..

This is two steps below advising "Do Not Travel"

(Afghanistan, Burundi, Central African Republic etc are on THAT list as are OTHER places in Thailand - Yala, Patani etc..)

Similar warnings at that cautionary level exist for many countries... including Mexico, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Costa Rica etc etc etc)

While I take the advice with a grain of salt in many cases it is quite a good website... www.smartraveller.gov.au

ymcarthur2 Feb 24, 2010 5:55 am

safety in Thialand???

It has been my dream to go to Bangkok and Phuket (maybe November 2010 or February 2011), but after reading the following from the U.S. Government site, I'm a little concerned:
The State Department is concerned that there is a continuted risk of terrorism in Southeast Asia, including in Thailand. U.S. citizens traveling to Thailand should therefore exercise caution, especially in locations where Westerners congregate, such as clubs, discos, bars, restaurants, hotels, places of worship, schools, outdoor recreation venues, tourist areas, beach resorts, and other places frequented by foreigners. They should remain vigilant with regard to their personal security and avoid crowds and demonstrations.
I was hoping that people who have been there recently could tell me if they think there is reason for concern.

jbcarioca Feb 24, 2010 6:05 am

The US State Department suffers from an overabundance of caution, in that they don't want anything to happen when they've not advised of the risk. There is not much to fear in either Bangkok or Phuket. Both are relatively undisciplined places, as compared with, say, Kansas City, but are not dangerous by any means. Just be cautious to keep track of your possessions and stay alert, just as you would in any large city. Don't worry unduly, but be aware. Of course things can happen, as they can anywhere. I lived in Thailand two years with zero incidence of anything bad, and have returned regularly, never with a problem.

rebadc Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

There was a recent artilce written in Conde Nast that spoke to the how the US viewed safety in foreign countries compared to how other countries view safety in other countries.

As has been mentioned we are fearful and tend to overreact.

Use common sense and have fun.

whackyjacky Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Much less to fear than in the States IMO. There may be some protests by the Red Shirts when Thaksin's Trial comes up. The key is the King. When he passes, a class war could break out (after the mourning period). That would be the time to avoid Thailand. wj