Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:58 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jages
While I haven't ventured into Central World itself, I see from the BTS that people are going into the centre so not sure what is open (you can see Starbucks open).

Zen has been all covered up with cloth and scaffolding in the last week so I guess rebuilding is at least starting. I check again on the weekend and see what is open in Central World.
I was in Bangkok 3 weeks ago...out of curiosity, we followed the (?office) crowd into Central World....I think it is mainly offices that are opened, and a few temporary stalls eg McDonalds presumably to cater to the office workers. I gather Isetan is open but didn't venture there. I took a few pictures of the fire damage (mostly covered up by sheets and scaffolding) but as I could sense a lot of disapproving eyes, I quickly put my camera away.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
As a general rule, photography is not permitted in Thai shopping malls. Haven't a clue as to why. Hell, I think they have "no photography" glyphs at 7-Elevens and Family Marts.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kpc
I was in Bangkok 3 weeks ago...out of curiosity, we followed the (?office) crowd into Central World....I think it is mainly offices that are opened, and a few temporary stalls eg McDonalds presumably to cater to the office workers. I gather Isetan is open but didn't venture there. I took a few pictures of the fire damage (mostly covered up by sheets and scaffolding) but as I could sense a lot of disapproving eyes, I quickly put my camera away.
My guess is that the disapproving eyes is due to the fact that this is an open wound. I imagine what you are sensing is less disapproval at your photography and more the sense of sadness over the destruction.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:12 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
My guess is that the disapproving eyes is due to the fact that this is an open wound. I imagine what you are sensing is less disapproval at your photography and more the sense of sadness over the destruction.
I think you are right...My first trip to Bangkok, and I loved it (apart from the v.humid weather)
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:42 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
For those who may be interested, there are a few things bubbling in the Thai news lately. First is the Supreme Court denying Taksin's appeal to release the money confiscated from him. The second is the border dispute at Preah Vihear temple between Cambodia & Thailand.

I have noticed that in the last week, Thais have been discussing their concern for the stability of order in Bangkok. I don't know the root of their concern. The Thai people are not talking to me about it, I just hear them talking about it themselves. The chatter usually starts with the terrible economy, and then that they hope no more bombs go off. Have other posters noticed anything similar?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Even though the economy is breaking new records (mainly due to exports) the Thai society is still divided as Abhisit's government shows little inclination to tackle the problems that led to violence http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...643&Itemid=185
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Even though the economy is breaking new records (mainly due to exports) the Thai society is still divided as Abhisit's government shows little inclination to tackle the problems that led to violence http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...643&Itemid=185
The status quo is fine as far as the BKK HiSos are concerned. What motivation would the Abhisit administration have to make any changes?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The status quo is fine as far as the BKK HiSos are concerned. What motivation would the Abhisit administration have to make any changes?
None. Why at all?

F.R.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
This was posted in the Intercontinental Bangkok thread:

A word of advice to anyone planning a trip to Bangkok: According to the Wall Street Journal, the red shirts have announced they will be starting a new round of protests in the city on the last week of September.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...merged-13.html
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Gustaf
This was posted in the Intercontinental Bangkok thread:

A word of advice to anyone planning a trip to Bangkok: According to the Wall Street Journal, the red shirts have announced they will be starting a new round of protests in the city on the last week of September.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...merged-13.html
As far as I know protests will start in Chiang Mai. Why don´t we just wait and see what happens before another round of wild speculation starts?

F.R.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Why don´t we just wait and see what happens before another round of wild speculation starts?
That would be totally out of character for FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.