Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 4:09 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thanks for the confirmation.

I fear things are heading for absolute turmoil in Thailand and what we've witnessed over the past several weeks will seem like child's play.

A further question - are there special / super-extra security measures in place for hotels like the Oriental / Shangri-La / Peninsula... I know a number of businesses have relocated to temporary make-shift offices there...

I hope the "government" is happy with what it's achieved.

Last edited by Braniff; May 19, 2010 at 4:31 am
Old May 19, 2010, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Australians have been formally warned to keep out of Bangkok as the Thai army moves in on protesters.

The federal government has upgraded its travel advisory to its highest level of alert for the Thai capital: "Do not travel".

All 20,000 Australians in Thailand have been urged to have contingency plans to get out at short notice.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0519-ve8h.html
Old May 19, 2010, 4:26 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Yes. I have seen photos with the building in smoke.

Adding to this, the stock exchange building, Channel 3 TV building, Siam Cinema are all burning or burnt to debris. The protesters are attacking all main sites.

This is a very very sad day for Bangkok and I fear for my colleagues' well being now.

Thyetus
Old May 19, 2010, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
This is a very very sad day for Bangkok and I fear for my colleagues' well being now.
I agree completely this is a very sad turn of events- let's hope that everyone can stay safe.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Australians have been formally warned to keep out of Bangkok as the Thai army moves in on protesters.

The federal government has upgraded its travel advisory to its highest level of alert for the Thai capital: "Do not travel".

All 20,000 Australians in Thailand have been urged to have contingency plans to get out at short notice.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0519-ve8h.html
This puts Bangkok in the happy company of the following "Do Not Travel" destinations:

• Afghanistan
  • Burundi
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Guinea
  • Iraq
  • Niger
  • Somalia
  • Sudan

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/do-not.html

How incredibly sad.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Just a reminder that by law foreigners here are supposed to carry their passport at all times.

At times like this, it's doubly recommended.

The curfew has been extended to "nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast" according to the Post, but neither it nor the Nation deems it necessary to tell us which ones.

Gov't spokesman said they will help with tourists who have flights during the curfew period but, unless I missed it, didn't explain how.

I've been told that Bank of Thailand has proclaimed Thursday and Friday as Bank Holidays (on top of them already being government ones), but can't yet find confirmation. The SET is definitely closed tomorrow.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Meerkat
Just a reminder that by law foreigners here are supposed to carry their passport at all times.

At times like this, it's doubly recommended.

The curfew has been extended to "nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast" according to the Post, but neither it nor the Nation deems it necessary to tell us which ones.

Gov't spokesman said they will help with tourists who have flights during the curfew period but, unless I missed it, didn't explain how.

I've been told that Bank of Thailand has proclaimed Thursday and Friday as Bank Holidays (on top of them already being government ones), but can't yet find confirmation. The SET is definitely closed tomorrow.
I believe you are correct about Th and Fr being bank holidays--I've heard this from multiple sources. Everyone stock up at whatever ATM's are working, or moneychangers still open.

Your point about carrying passports in times like these is good. And also for catching flights during curfew period. With that starting in less than 2 hours, gov't needs to publicize immediately who's still allowed on the streets (taxis, hotel official shuttles, buses, etc.). Tonight might be interesting for people with night or early morning flights out that can't get to the airport--yikes! Fliers, get your arrangements in place early.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:45 am

We arrived in BKK early this morning from PEK. Our flight was delayed for about 4 hours due to a storm in PEK, so we landed in BKK around 1AM as opposed to 9PM. Naturally airport was empty at that time.

We stayed at BW Amaranth, a newish hotel near the airport. Shortly before noon today we went to Seacon Square Mall without any problem. We did some shopping -- mall seemed pretty normal. After lunch we went to get Thai massage and just as we were leaving the spa, we noticed vendors were closing their stores. No one was able to explain what was going on in English, but we figured that something bad was happening. The mall was being closed and evacuated. We could not get a taxi back to the hotel, so we went next door to Dusit Princess Hotel for some coffee. After waited for 1/2 hour and could not get a taxi, we took the hotel car to take us back.

We're now back at the hotel and finally got caught up with the situation. GM has sent out letters about 8PM curfew. We will be leaving the hotel at 6AM tomorrow for the airport.

I hope the situation will be resolved shortly.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:48 am

Central World (previously known as World Trade) has been destroyed.

I couldn't find a functioning ATM.

Far too many fires and conflagrations to keep up with. The Army needs to get things under control tonight even if it means shooting people.

Or maybe the King will address the country?
Old May 19, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by lomatopo
Central World (previously known as World Trade) has been destroyed.
Destroyed. Wow.

Originally Posted by lomatopo
The Army needs to get things under control tonight even if it means shooting people.

I think they've done too much of that already with the results you now see. Are you looking for another Tiananmen Square? I do hope they do not shoot YOU.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:26 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
I believe you are correct about Th and Fr being bank holidays--I've heard this from multiple sources. Everyone stock up at whatever ATM's are working, or moneychangers still open.

Your point about carrying passports in times like these is good. And also for catching flights during curfew period. With that starting in less than 2 hours, gov't needs to publicize immediately who's still allowed on the streets (taxis, hotel official shuttles, buses, etc.). Tonight might be interesting for people with night or early morning flights out that can't get to the airport--yikes! Fliers, get your arrangements in place early.
This clip,
http://jp.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=88855344 , shows some of the broadcast on all stations at 6pm tonight. They explained in Thai & then in English about the curfew and their plans for this evening. They mentioned that safety was a priority, including the safety of foreign residents and tourists; that anyone going out at night carry their passports and documentation to where they are staying, and that those needing to get to the airport should be prepared to show their tickets at checkpoints too.

People needing to travel during curfew hours should ensure they carry identity papers, such as a passport, and have their ID and tickets ready to show to officers at curfew checkpoints.

Authorities would then facilitate their travel. All foreigners would be assisted.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...tourists-aided

More news clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhXMqEE_vE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8691383.stm

Thank you for the PMs and emails. I recieved a picture that seemed to show a tire fire just outside the SGS. Can anyone confirm the situation at Asoke? Is it just tyres burining or ???
Old May 19, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by Braniff
Destroyed. Wow.

I think they've done too much of that already with the results you now see. Are you looking for another Tiananmen Square? I do hope they do not shoot YOU.
It has come to this....what we have seen in the last few days is it is mostly young punks taking advantage and causing mayhem.

What has happened today is something different, coordinated and someone is giving orders.

It is either put a stop to it now by any means necessary or we lose the city.

It is that bad now.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Thank you for the PMs and emails. I recieved a picture that seemed to show a tire fire just outside the SGS. Can anyone confirm the situation at Asoke? Is it just tyres burining or ???

Last picture I saw of Asoke was a bus was also parked there, also I think one other building on Suk near Asoke is on fire.

Bangkok Bank building at the end of my soi destroyed by fire, Rama 4 littered with telephone booths and other debris, rumor of bombs in Tesco and Carre Four at the end of my soi (about 300 yards).

Curfew starts in 20 mins.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:56 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
...what we have seen in the last few days is it is mostly young punks taking advantage and causing mayhem.

What has happened today is something different, coordinated and someone is giving orders.

It is either put a stop to it now by any means necessary or we lose the city.

It is that bad now.
[Hearsay Warning]
As Thais across the country watch the news (I've been in two provinces today) they are talking about the "aliens" (ต่างด้าว) that are participating in the destruction. I gather that Burmese and (apparently) Cambodians have been recruited to contribute to the mayhem. I look at the TV and don't see it, but the locals noice right away and are discussing it.

But the point above is that this may have been planned all along. The locals I talk to tell me that the next few days will be a very volitile situation. I follow thier logic. One thing's for sure... resistance may not be dealt with patiently. State of Emergency now exists in 22 of 76 Provinces. http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/201...rally-to-come/

Today in Chiang Mai, protesters closed one of the bridges near the downtown core. I heard the helocopter and knew they were active, then got caught in the traffic jam that followed. About 6:30pm, just before dark, I heard a bang from inside of my 20th floor hotel room. A tire fire had been set ablaze and a small trail of black smoke and flames could be seen. I've been told it's undercontrol, but will take a look again when I get back to my room.

So far, Chiang Mai has been mostly unaffected. People glued to the TVs, malls, shops, banks closed early up here today. 8PM now, and I will report if there is any curfew or encouragement to stay in as the days go on.

Last edited by seanthepilot; May 20, 2010 at 9:13 am
Old May 19, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As Thais across the country watch the news (I've been in two provinces today) they are talking about the "aliens" (ต่างด้าว) that are participating in the destruction. I gather that Burmese and (apparently) Cambodians have been recruited to contribute to the mayhem. I look at the TV and don't see it, but the locals noice right away and are discussing it.
Sean, this influence has been mentioned to me today by one who lives in Lang Suan for 15 years. What a tragic day.....

BTW, you have PM from me.

TK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.