2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Thai Political Demonstration & Discussion Thread [Re:Embassy Warnings]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I thought the big protest is supposed to be on the 14th.
The Red Shirt Rally has been planned for Friday, 12 March for some time. The Government is aiming to restrict domestic movements towards Bangkok, although in the past this has proven challenging. I assume cooler heads will prevail so no worries for tourists, other than the odd grenade here and there.

edited to add: This rally will actually culminate on Sunday, 14 March. I think they will begin setting things up this week in the area around Ratchadamnoen Road/Larn Luang Road. Maybe a good area to avoid if only for the potentially massive crowd.

6,000 guns and explosives stolen from barracks

BANGKOK: -- Acting Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn confirmed on Sunday that an urgent investigation was being conducted into “a massive loss of weapons and explosives” from an army base in the southern province of Phattalung.

According to Mr Panitan, a police report was filed last Thursday and investigators are attempting to determine whether the weapons have fallen into the hands of insurgents in the south, or the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), aka the red-shirts, who plan to hold its million man march and rally commencing this Friday, March 12, in an attempt to oust the government.

Informed sources claim about 6,000 assault rifles and a large amount of explosives were taken from Engineering Regiment 401, part of the Fourth Army Region, in Phatthalung Province, and the theft was only discovered on Tuesday.

Mr. Panitan said the investigation was focusing on the possibility the theft was “an inside job” and that since the loss, security at other army weapons warehouses, especially in Bangkok, has been tightened.

The revelation of the theft follows comments yesterday by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva that recent intelligence reports had pointed to the possibility of sabotage taking place on March 14.

Last edited by lomatopo; Mar 7, 2010 at 4:52 am
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...042034/1/.html

Thailand's 'Red Shirts' gear up for decisive week
Posted: 07 March 2010 1018 hrs

BANGKOK - Supporters of Thailand's fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra started trying to build momentum Sunday for a mass rally next week that could decide the fate of their anti-government movement.

The so-called "Red Shirts" say they expect hundreds of thousands of people to gather in the capital Bangkok on March 14, just over two weeks after a court seized 1.4 billion US dollars of the deposed tycoon's fortune.

Organisers are holding a series of meetings beginning Sunday to motivate protesters across the country, most of them from the rural poor, who resent what they see as an elitist and undemocratic government in Bangkok.

"I would like to urge those who love democracy, justice, equality, and those who think that I have been bullied without mercy and humanity, to join the rally," Thaksin wrote on Saturday on Twitter.

The rally promises to be the biggest since last April, when up to 100,000 Reds protested against current prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, followed by riots which left two people dead and derailed a major Asian summit.

The Reds have held a string of protests since another court decision removed Thaksin's allies from government and brought Abhisit to power in December 2008, after a blockade of Bangkok's airports by rival, royalist "Yellow Shirts".

Thaksin was toppled in a military coup in 2006 and is living in exile, mainly in Dubai, to avoid a two-year jail sentence for graft imposed in absentia. He has vowed to fight the confiscation of his wealth.

The country remains deeply divided between the largely Thaksin-loving Reds and the Yellows, who view Thaksin as corrupt and are backed by the Bangkok-based elites of the palace, military and bureaucracy.

On Sunday, provincial Red Shirt leaders were set to meet the rank-and-file in Rayong, a major industrial hub near Bangkok, with other meetings throughout the week in central, northern and western Thailand, organisers said.

"Our aim is to topple the government, to force them to make a choice between suppressing us and stepping down," senior Red Shirt leader Jaran Ditsatapichai told reporters earlier this week.

But the number of supporters they actually draw to Bangkok will be crucial in deciding whether the Reds have any chance of pushing out the government before Thailand's next elections, due in December 2011.

Paul Chambers, an expert on Thailand at Germany's Heidelberg University, said the demonstration and its ability to match last year's turn-out will be a "crucial event to prove whether their cause will persevere."

"Whether these numbers reach higher than 100,000 will be a good measure of their continuing political potential," Chambers added.

The Red Shirts said earlier this week that they expected anywhere between 400,000 and 600,000, with many coming from Thaksin's stronghold in the northeast in thousands of buses and pick-up trucks.

The government is deploying extra troops and police, set up checkpoints around the country to look for weapons and says it may impose harsh security laws if the protests become violent.

"Yet a violent outcome will only breathe new life into a Red Shirt movement looking to expand," said Chambers.

Their success will also depend on building support among Bangkok's traditionally pro-Yellow Shirt middle class, and in the ranks of Thailand's powerful army, which so far has backed Abhisit.

Abhisit himself has said he will push ahead with a trip to Australia from March 13 to 17.

"The Reds don't have big mobilisation power in Bangkok. They don't have the resources," said Arnaud Leveau of the Research Institute on Contemporary South-East Asia.

"They will have to put in place a huge logistical operation to get people in from the provinces and feed them when they are in Bangkok," he added.

- AFP/ir
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:06 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As this date comes closer, I think we should set up a dedicated thread for updates, questions and answers, etc.

I'd like to take direction from the readership. To me, this seems like the appropriate thread to continue discussion. Do members agree?

I'd also like to retitle the thread to assist those that may look for this discussion and updated information. I will gladly take suggestions on thread titles.

Please provide feedback.

I would also ask members to add the source of your information. If you are providing material from a news website or publication, a link (exactly like the post above has done ^) would be appreciated. If you are adding information from another bulletin board, please provide your source.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm fine with keeping this thread as the place for updates. Although I'd be okay with keeping the existing title, I'd also be fine with re-titling to something like: Updates on Anti-Government Rallies Planned for Feb-March 2010.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:07 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm fine with keeping this thread as the place for updates. Although I'd be okay with keeping the existing title, I'd also be fine with re-titling to something like: Updates on Anti-Government Rallies Planned for Feb-March 2010.
+1
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Agree there needs be a re-titling. Seeing a sticky about 'February 2010' caused a double-take.

How about 'On going post-Thaksin verdict demonstrations in Thailand where one group is constantly whining the government is illegal and only they can solve the myriad problems (esp. those besetting the poor who will always take money to vote).'

In all seriousness, simply 'Ongoing demonstations: Q&A' would probably suffice.

On a sidenote, a recent trip through Issan left me in two very uncomfortable situations where people were pressing for my views on the gov, monarchy, Thaksin. One was a rather high ranking policeman, who, while friendly, made some incredibly disparaging remarks about those who should not talked about in such a way. The other was a local in a market who was easy enough to dismiss by pretending not to speak any Thai.

Both were ardent supporters of everything 'sua daeng'.

In the past tourists were left to themselves. I wonder if this is a portent of change.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
So, as it is about to start tomorrow:

I´m currently looking at the front page of todays edition of "The Nation" which printed maps of Bangkok and the potential ´twilight zones´.
The fact that I have to go to Suvarnabhumi tomorrow afternoon does not put me in the happiest mood.
However, as everybody continues assuring me that a location change to say, Novotel BKK, is not necessary I might give up this plan.
Anyone for comments or suggestions?

F.R.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
So, as it is about to start tomorrow:

I´m currently looking at the front page of todays edition of "The Nation" which printed maps of Bangkok and the potential ´twilight zones´.
The fact that I have to go to Suvarnabhumi tomorrow afternoon does not put me in the happiest mood.
However, as everybody continues assuring me that a location change to say, Novotel BKK, is not necessary I might give up this plan.
Anyone for comments or suggestions?

F.R.
I am currently in pattaya and am due to spend Saturday night in Conrad Bangkok (close to Lumpini Park which is a designated rally point) and then fly out of Suvarnabhumi on Sunday night to Dubai to stay at Hilton Jumeirah, i'm thinking that i may run into some kind of trouble at some stage this weekend
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:54 am

Are there any airlines offering fee waivers or other options for changing itineraries that touch March 11-23 when the internal security act is expected to be invoked?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Chiangi
Are there any airlines offering fee waivers or other options for changing itineraries that touch March 11-23 when the internal security act is expected to be invoked?
I haven´t heard of any. From what I learned today is that nobody wants to seize the airport this time. But if things get nasty...
Nevertheless, as work calls at home I´ll be happy to hopefully be out of it in 10 hours from now.

F.R.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm transitting BKK on Tuesday. If this whole shebang blows over It will be nice to head into town and get food. Otherwise the SQ lounge is going to find alot of their coconuts missing.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:22 pm

I don't know where to post this...Anyone heading towards BKK...

Plz read up on this :

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/wo...ia/12thai.html

I got out of BKK this AM...and flights were jam packed.
From what I was told by friends there, it would be way more serious than the newspaper article. They were talking about trucking in hundred of thousands. The Red Shirts folks will be all staged in Pattaya, and move into BKK.
Let's pray that no blood will be shed and innocents killed.
The last round, 2 Canadian tourists hired a taxi to take them to Pattaya to take their evacuation flight, got killed in a car accident.

Last edited by AA2MM; Mar 11, 2010 at 6:41 pm
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Chiangi
So far I think only Cathay Pacific offering this fee waiver.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...000ad21c39____

Special Ticketing Guidelines for Bangkok
As a result of the latest situation in Thailand, with immediate effect, all rebooking/rerouting charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 10 March 2010 for travel involving Bangkok till 16 March 2010.

Cathay Pacific / Dragonair tickets
Cancellation / Refund
No waiver on Cancellation and Refund Charges.
Rebooking/rerouting
Such requests are made on/before 16 March 2010 and before departure, for travel involving Bangkok till 16 March 2010.
No-show passenger is not eligible for the waiver.
Revised (new) travel date must be within 2 months from original booking date and subject to flight availability. In which case, the ticket expiry date will be adjusted accordingly.
The newly rebooked sector must observe and conform to the conditions of the respective fare rule, e.g. black out dates, flight application, weekend / weekday travel, stopover charges, and applicable seasonalities by collecting additional / refunding difference (if any) as appropriate.
Re-issuance charges will only be waived due to the expiry of the original ticket.
Group Tickets
Please refer to your local travel agent.
Frequent Flyer Programme Tickets
Please refer to the Asia Miles Terms and Conditions at www.AsiaMiles.com

For further details, please contact The Marco Polo Club at (852) 2747 5500 and Asia Miles Service Centre at (852) 2747 3838.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:51 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...arnings-4.html
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:50 pm

I'm supposed to be in Bangkok this weekend, however the better half is freaking out a bit.

Was supposed to be a quick weekend get away.

We would be staying in the sukhumvit area, which isn't supposed to be in the trouble zone areas. I guess the main worry is about the airport getting blocked and not being able to get back on Sunday. I'm flying Air Asia, so no hope in getting my money back.

Any views, or is the better half being a bit too cautious?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.