Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Should I avoid Thailand give all mistreatment of tourists?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I haven't been to Thailand since the 1990's. I was considering going to Koh Tao for some diving later this year.

While researching the trip I have come across so many reports of rotten treatment of tourists that I am wondering whether it is worth going or not.

Specifically:

The Thai jet ski scam - strong-arm extortion of tourists which seems to be aided and abetted by corrupt Thai police officers.

Various taxi scams, not just overcharging which could happen anywhere, but the taxi driver taking you to the wrong place, or agreeing on one price then demanding another.

Police officers issuing on-the-spot fines for imagined misdemeanours.

The notorious Bangkok duty free shop extortion, accusing tourists of shoplifting then extorting thousands of dollars from them with the threat of imprisonment.

Dozens of other types of scams too numerous to mention.

Worst of all, when tourist seek help from the police, the police officer is in on the crime and aids in the extortion.

Besides all the scams extortion and corruption, there is pervasive prostitution throughout Thailand, and I can't find the right word to describe it - if there is a word that combines sadness, disgust, and disbelief that an entire nation would prostitute their daughters then can someone please supply me with the word.

The question is, can a tourist have an enjoyable beach/diving holiday in Thailand, without being ripped off, extorted or threatened, and without being solicited on a daily basis by prostitutes?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well, almost all places have scams of one sort or another. As long as you keep clear of them, you should be fine.

If you're staying in certain areas of Bangkok (Sukhumvit road area, mostly), you'll get the Handsum Man come on. Just keep walking, and you'll be fine.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The reports of scams are no doubt true, however several instances are reported and all of a sudden they're (supposedly) widespread.

You're aware of the scams, so don't fall for them. As for taxis, a great way to avoid scams is 1) don't negotiate, use the meter (although many have been rigged) 2) don't keep anything in the trunk - if the driver tries to get more money just grab your stuff and walk away.

Everywhere gullible tourists congregate there will be people waiting to prey. This is not limited to Thailand.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:38 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I haven't been to Thailand since the 1990's. I was considering going to Koh Tao for some diving later this year.
Your concerns show that you have done your homework and being perfectly aware of scams can easily steer clear of them.

I am very critcial regarding Thailand, but still firmly believe that this is a very safe country observing certain basic precautions. Never get involved with strangers or let them approach you and you will be let alone.

Regarding prostitution. The offer is there because of the demand and this is more disgusting than people simply benefitting from opportunities.

The seas surrounding Thailand are still stunning.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
My $.02 is that the OP's post is relatively shortsighted. Go and have a good time. Never once have I been 'scammed'... Keep your head about you is all... Just like MANY other foreign countries.

There's a reason why Thailand is a tourist destination... 'cuz it's effing awesome.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:50 am

While researching the trip I have come across so many reports of rotten treatment of tourists that I am wondering whether it is worth going or not.

Specifically:

The Thai jet ski scam - strong-arm extortion of tourists which seems to be aided and abetted by corrupt Thai police officers.

Various taxi scams, not just overcharging which could happen anywhere, but the taxi driver taking you to the wrong place, or agreeing on one price then demanding another.

The notorious Bangkok duty free shop extortion, accusing tourists of shoplifting then extorting thousands of dollars from them with the threat of imprisonment.

Worst of all, when tourist seek help from the police, the police officer is in on the crime and aids in the extortion.

Besides all the scams extortion and corruption, there is pervasive prostitution throughout Thailand, and I can't find the right word to describe it - if there is a word that combines sadness, disgust, and disbelief that an entire nation would prostitute their daughters then can someone please supply me with the word.

The question is, can a tourist have an enjoyable beach/diving holiday in Thailand, without being ripped off, extorted or threatened, and without being solicited on a daily basis by prostitutes?
Over 12 million tourists visited Thailand last year. Very few of those tourists were scammed. Maybe they paid a little too much for something from a street vendor because they were poor bargainers. This is no scam it is just another way of doing business! This is like buying at a flea market in your own country, some customers get good deals and some do not!

Are there tuk-tuk scams - yes! So don't fall for them, besides taking a METER TAXI and paying only the METER FARE is cheaper! Since you already know about them you won't fall for them anyway!

Will some tourists pay a little too much for a taxi ride - yeah - sure! Just like newcomers would in some other countries! In New York City there is always a taxi scam going on when bringing tourists into the city from the airport.

Sometimes you have to be a little assertive when dealing with taxi drivers. Tell the driver to use the meter, if he refuses - get another one of the many taxis cruising by in Bangkok! Even at 3 a.m. I can get taxis to use the meter for rides back to the airport. Use the meter taxi sign up desk at the airport for rides into the city.
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

For Bangkok if you choose a hotel near the Skytrain route (probably not complete when you were last in Thailand) you can use that overhead rail service to get you around the city if you are afraid of dealing with taxi cabs.
http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

If you arrive during the day hours you can even take an Airport Express Bus into the city and avoid taxis. Several bus routes available. There is even a bus you can take that costs only 35 baht to get you into the city.
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56

There were bar girls in Thailand in the 90's when you were last there just like today. Maybe those girls want a better life than working 10 or 12 hours a day in some rice paddy up to their a$$ in water for around 100 baht a day! No one will force you into any bar against your will! If you are in a bar no one will force you to bring a lady or ladyboy back to your hotel against your will! Prostitution is legal in Canada, some parts of the US, UK, Italy and a whole slew of European countries - do you avoid those countries?

Thailand offers good value for your money. Bangkok is cheaper than Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul and Singapore! (You will also find scams and hookers in those places too!)

Just enjoy yourself and ignore what you do not approve of and avoid the scams you are aware of and you will have a good time. Over 12 million tourists visited Thailand last year, many of them for the first time, without any real problems. Many tourists come to Thailand again and again, I have met women traveling alone in their 60's and 70's just having a ball!

(Later.)

Taxi scam in New York just in the news today:
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/201...2151268489792/

Up to you!

Last edited by Sirhalberd; Mar 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm Reason: Update.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:09 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger

Specifically:

One of the major problems with Thailand is that it is a third world country, masked as something else. Who can believe that with a city like Bangkok, that there is a poverty level living within that most cannot even imagine.

Hence, a traveler can get caught up in the image and let the guard down, which often leads to disaster. This is why I believe a lot of serious things happen to good people in Thailand. They are smart, have done some research and know what to look for......but the smiling faces and cultural images make them believe all is well....when it is certainly not.

People have given some suggestions here.....like "just walk away" from a taxi scam (sometimes not that easy depending on the demeanor of the driver and the personality of the person being scammed). Some tourists are easy to shake down, because they are afraid and intimidated by the driver. Maybe some of you are not......but many are. For some people, depending on age and physical condition, grabbing all their stuff in the middle of nowhere and jumping out of the cab is not an option.

You have those who have never been scammed and believe Thailand is "effing awesome". You have those whose lives have changed.....maybe lose an eye, maybe end up in a wheelchair for life......they don't think it is so awesome, "effing" or otherwise. You may have believed you were never scammed....but maybe you don't even know (or care) that you were scammed. If a taxi meter is electronically altered, how can you know this and deal with this? You ask for use of the meter and get it.....now a 200THB fare is 350 THB or 470THB......the meter has the 470 clearly displayed, so you pay it.....were you scammed?

In the jet ski scam you see the soldiers standing up to the guy, even when he displays a gun......brave guys.....but who really needs this? Are you a brave guy or someone who says.....I'm in a foreign country.....better to pay and move on...not get killed here.....or are you a soldier willing to stand up to this? Sometimes standing up is not that easy. Sometimes people are not willing to admit their weakness in the face of danger in the past and therefore say they were never scammed. If you spend any time in country, you will have some scam stories and that is just a fact of life.

As to the prostitution, Thailand is almost singular in the amount (total participants), corruption connection and cultural issues that this has caused. Issues connected to prostitution have even had effects on the Thai language. You can do your own research, but this particular situation (in Thailand specifically) is more than poverty driven. To compare Thailand to European cities that offer brothels and window shopping is almost ridiculous. For what you see in the Sukhumvit areas is only a microcosm of what really exists in Thai culture. For what you see does not include the mothers and fathers selling their daughters into this because of wanting a better lifestyle for themselves or plain drug addiction. This is not so common in other areas for a host of reasons.

Many Thai's look at farangs as walking ATM machines.....especially the ones who look like the prey (as a lion looks across the savanna). You have to make your own decision whether to visit based on your own needs and ability to deal with the existent issues.......the place can be an effing nightmare or "effing awesome".......it all depends on how clean you get out.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Survey says... No.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Personally, I love the place. And yes, I see all of the scams, but I am savvy enough not to be ensnared in them. As for other issues - As the Thais say, "up to you".
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Personally, I love the place.
+1

Personally, I'm far more concerned about my safety in virtually any city in the USA than I am in Thailand or Asia in general.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have been to thailand multiple times....my wife & i always go there in october every year....i have never been mistreated as a tourist....i think this is a great country & you have as much of a chance to get mistreated as you would in any other country....
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Most of the replies seem to say "you can get ripped off in any country" and "keep your eyes open and avoid trouble and you will be fine".

The biggest problem I have with this is, if I am a victim of fraud, extortion or other scams in a civilized country, I go to the police and they are on my side. If it happens in Thailand, they are more often than not in on the scam. Even if it unlikely to happen to any one person, there have been plenty of tourists who have been told "pay xxxxxxxx baht or you will go to jail".

I think if Thailand wants to win back its reputation as a decent safe tourist destination, they need to crack down on crimes perpetrated by their police. Until then I think I will give this hell-hole a pass.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:26 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Most of the replies seem to say "you can get ripped off in any country" and "keep your eyes open and avoid trouble and you will be fine".

The biggest problem I have with this is, if I am a victim of fraud, extortion or other scams in a civilized country, I go to the police and they are on my side. If it happens in Thailand, they are more often than not in on the scam. Even if it unlikely to happen to any one person, there have been plenty of tourists who have been told "pay xxxxxxxx baht or you will go to jail".

I think if Thailand wants to win back its reputation as a decent safe tourist destination, they need to crack down on crimes perpetrated by their police. Until then I think I will give this hell-hole a pass.
Hell-hole? So you asked a question when you already had made up your mind then did you? Funny, I have been to Thailand like 100 times in the past 5 years. Never had any of the problems you cited. Is it because I'm such a savvy travel or perhaps because the issues you mention are not so prevalent? Based on the millions of travelers who have no issues at all and return time and time again I'm going to go with the latter. Anyway enjoy wherever it is that you do end up.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Do you find this to be an incorrect assessment?

The biggest problem I have with this is, if I am a victim of fraud, extortion or other scams in a civilized country, I go to the police and they are on my side. If it happens in Thailand, they are more often than not in on the scam.
Please elaborate. Thailand isn't civilized? What evidence do you have that more than 50% ['more often than not'] of the police are in on scams involving tourists? Tis is ludicrous (and would be humorous if you weren't so sincere in your beliefs).

Even if it unlikely to happen to any one person, there have been plenty of tourists who have been told "pay xxxxxxxx baht or you will go to jail".
And I suppose you've met some of these people from whom you've ascertained the full story? Are you basing this upon the sensationalist news reporting?

WOW. Just wow.

As yosithezet indicated, it appears you made up your mind well before this was originally posted.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Mar 12, 2010 at 8:07 am Reason: Final sentence removed
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If you're staying in certain areas of Bangkok (Sukhumvit road area, mostly), you'll get the Handsum Man come on. Just keep walking, and you'll be fine.
Damn it. Now you tell me. I fall for that one every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.