Business Seat but Economy Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:20 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Business Seat but Economy Service

Earlier today I flew TG404 SIN-BKK on an A340. During check-in I was asked if I prefer an aisle or window. I asked for a window but also asked what the configuration of the plane was. 3-3 or what? I was told that it is 2-2-2 but in the back 2-4-2 and she's trying to put me in the 2-2-2. I didn't understand what she was talking about but that was fine. For a 2 hours flight I really wasn't all that concerned.

When I boarded I was counting the rows and it looks like I'd be in the first row of the Economy cabin. How nice it was to realize that I'd miscounted and I was in the last row of the 2nd Business cabin. I figured that something must have gotten mixed up in my GUP for my previous leg BNE-BKK-SIN.

I noticed that the amenity kits weren't in their usual place in the well next to the entertainment remote. When meal service began I realised that we were getting economy meals and not business service. I wasn't disappointed, but never saw this before on TG. I have seen it a lot of LY recently but never on TG.

Is this common?

This isn't an op-up. Is there any sort of jargon used to describe this scenario?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Earlier today I flew TG404 SIN-BKK on an A340. During check-in I was asked if I prefer an aisle or window. I asked for a window but also asked what the configuration of the plane was. 3-3 or what? I was told that it is 2-2-2 but in the back 2-4-2 and she's trying to put me in the 2-2-2. I didn't understand what she was talking about but that was fine. For a 2 hours flight I really wasn't all that concerned.

When I boarded I was counting the rows and it looks like I'd be in the first row of the Economy cabin. How nice it was to realize that I'd miscounted and I was in the last row of the 2nd Business cabin. I figured that something must have gotten mixed up in my GUP for my previous leg BNE-BKK-SIN.

I noticed that the amenity kits weren't in their usual place in the well next to the entertainment remote. When meal service began I realised that we were getting economy meals and not business service. I wasn't disappointed, but never saw this before on TG. I have seen it a lot of LY recently but never on TG.

Is this common?

This isn't an op-up. Is there any sort of jargon used to describe this scenario?
I have not experienced this exact scenario, but it sounds like the way in which TG put Bus Class passengers into F seats on the BKK-HKT route, but only charge them J fares, give J service, but F seats.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:11 pm

Is this common?

I had it BKK-SIN and SIN-BKK in May. Quite pleased. You could grab the 2-2-2 seats via OLCI - they are not pre-allocated to Golds...
IIRC the plane was A345.

These are my only TG flights for over 10 years!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: SK EBD, TG*G
According to TG in Oslo, this is similar to what they do when they swap the A345 with an A346 on the new BKK-OSL route. The A346 configuration on this route should be 44 in C, 24 in PE and 199 in Economy. All PE pax should thus be given a C seat but only PE service. This was what I was told and applies to planned equipment swaps. I have not observed this myself so I cannot confirm whether this is correct or not, but maybe some FT'ers have? No comments on what they do in case of last minute equipment changes were given.

SK used to do something similar when they still had B767s. Y class passengers were on some occasions placed in the mid cabin in C class seats but with Y service.

Last edited by ds_osl; Aug 1, 2009 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've had this on a couple of domestic flights on an AB6. It's nice to have a bit more leg room.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver

I noticed that the amenity kits weren't in their usual place in the well next to the entertainment remote.

You only get them on long-haul flights.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2035
I had it BKK-SIN and SIN-BKK in May. Quite pleased. You could grab the 2-2-2 seats via OLCI - they are not pre-allocated to Golds...
IIRC the plane was A345.
I am TG*G. I actually tried to use OLCI the night before but got a message saying that my seat would be given to me at the airport.

Originally Posted by TGflyer
You only get them on long-haul flights.
The day before I flew BKK-SIN as part of a larger itinerary which included this leg being upgraded using a GUP. I am pretty sure there were amenity kits because I used it to keep my eyeglasses secure in the well next to the seat. (I once had my glasses go down into the seat as the seat was moving!)
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I have not experienced this exact scenario, but it sounds like the way in which TG put Bus Class passengers into F seats on the BKK-HKT route, but only charge them J fares, give J service, but F seats.
My experience too. I guess it happens on CNX 747 also; that's why I took care to select 747 for my next CNX flights. So far as dining service goes on TG domestic c and 'F' I've had nothing, excellent first-standard meal and everything inbetween, it's a bit of a lottery.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:45 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
This still happens quite a bit on 2 particular routes SIN and KUL plus certain domestic routes. What happened was TG use aircraft with way too many biz seat (345 and 346) for such routes hence they usually use the 2nd C cabin as Y.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
To me it sounds as if the OP's TG Gold status snagged him an op-up to premium economy. Bigger seat, economy service. The same thing happened to me on a KE BKK-ICN flight, and it was JUST after I reached elite status.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rampo
To me it sounds as if the OP's TG Gold status snagged him an op-up to premium economy. Bigger seat, economy service. The same thing happened to me on a KE BKK-ICN flight, and it was JUST after I reached elite status.
Well it was absolutely the same seat as the cabin in the front of the plane. It was the same seat I had in business on the BKK-SIN leg. Is that what their PE is, Business seat without the business service?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Rampo
To me it sounds as if the OP's TG Gold status snagged him an op-up to premium economy.
That's impossible, since TG does not run Premium Economy from SIN to BKK.

It was simply a section of the C cabin used for Y ticket holders.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Apologies for not being clearer. I wasn't trying to claim that premium economy is officially offered on this particular flight. I meant that for whatever reason - probably the TG Gold status - the OP received an upgrade to the equivalent of premium economy (bigger seat, economy service). Haven't I had read in this forum that on some flights between Europe and BKK TG's premium economy consists of business seats with economy service?

As mentioned in my previous post, KE recently did the same thing to me (they do not offer premium economy at all) and the closest thing I would compare it to would be my flights in premium economy on the late lamented TG JFK-BKK nonstop, although KE's J class seats were obviously nicer than TG's PE seats.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Is this common?

It is VERY common on domestic flights on the AB300 which has a dual C cabin. Probably 75% of my recent flights I've gotten this. I and a few others have termed this a 'semi op-up', being it's only the seat and not the service that's being upgraded. From the best I can gather, it's *G members who get this semi-opup, at least they're the first considered for it, I've also seen several monks in this cabin, though don't know if they were *G or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.