Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Don't fly THAI if you are Thai!! (A TG's Parasite??)

Don't fly THAI if you are Thai!! (A TG's Parasite??)

Old Apr 21, 09, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH*G / FB Silver
Exclamation Don't fly THAI if you are Thai!! (A TG's Parasite??)

My goodness! Being a Thai on Thai Airways International (TG), with a business class ticket, was certainly not enough to warrant any business class service by the TG staff at the Business check-in facility in Bangkok International Airport. Had I not witnessed a disparity in the treatment of business class passengers, I would not have had to invest the time to write this review. Please allow me to explain.

As I arrived at the counter, I was flanked by two members of the TG check-in staff who treated the passengers they were helping with remarkable professionalism. In fact, each invited their clients to sit comfortably as they awaited the completion of the check-in process. In stark contrast, I failed to receive even the slightest welcoming breeze from my representative; it was as if this staff member had slept badly the night before and decided to take her frustration out on me.

As I waited for her to recognize my presence, she made absolutely no eye contact, instead giving me just the briefest glance. She offered no smile and no “Welcome. May I help you” or “Sawasdee Kha.” Despite the fact that Bangkok International Airport provides two seats in front of the check-in counter for Business Class passengers, my representative never invited me to “Please have a seat.” When the awkward check-in process was complete, she did not say thank you (Khob Khun Kha) in either Thai or English, and she gave me no additional information about the TG lounge. When I demanded to speak with her supervisor, she simply alerted her colleague from a nearby check-in counter.

You may consider that I am somehow too sensitive about what happened. On the other hand, how would you feel having your passport, boarding card, and lounge invitation thrown at you, in public, by a staff member who works for the “No. 1 ranking in First and Business Class of the year 2009?” Even though this information appeared online (http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair...?lg=en&dng=296), it seemed as though the claim was more of an April fool’s joke.

I believe that I was upset the most by the fact that the representative did not accept responsibility for any of her wrongdoings. Even though she refused to give me her name, the information that appears on my boarding pass may help: “BKKAEW” for flight TG624 on April 20, 2009, and my SEQ No. is “37.”

Overall, I still enjoy the service provided by TG although I have lived in Europe more than half my life. Nevertheless, the representative who served me clearly does not care about the organization. She seemed unfazed by what took place and likely felt confident that nothing would happen as a result. To the contrary, I believe she deserves a public reprimand that would bring her down to Earth again—and may even help make her an exemplary TG employee.

Au revoir TG!!
Old Apr 24, 09, 4:59 am

Programs: American Advantage, Kris Flyer
There's a similar story at http://bkmagazine.com/feature/thai-hate-thai
Old Apr 24, 09, 7:40 am

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver
Could that be a rare case? I am 100% Thai and have always received good to excellent ground and in-flight service. My last visit to the Royal Silk lounge was very good, the hostess Sawaseee Krap/Kha to me and helped me find a free seat. I frequent on the LHR route in Royal Silk and as one of the few Thai people in the cabin, the FAs always spoil me with surprises such glasses of Dom Perignon and First Class amenity kits etc.

You should write to TG about the unsatisfactory service you experienced at BKK.
Old Apr 24, 09, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH*G / FB Silver
Hi TGflyer.

You are indeed lucky, I was not. My intention is not too judge all the whole TG company. My issue is only set to deal with this particular TG's parasite, who did refuse to give me her name, despite every customer should have rights to express thiers own opinion concerning products and services.

I recently received a prompt reply from Khun 'Lek Klinvibul', MD of TG Ground Customer Services Department, and this issue is now in process.

I wish one day TG will be again, 'once it was' to be THAI that every Thai can proud of.

Again, I do appreciate all of your comments.

Best wishes everyone,

milpsy
Old Apr 24, 09, 2:25 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
First K. Milpsy, welcome to FT!! A pity your first post regarded a poor experience...

Mrs TK is Thai and has had variable experience over the years, mainly in Y. When traveling with me, and then with the 2 boys (ลูกครึ่ง หล่อมาก ), things have been usually very good.

Mainly, she report that it is when she is by herself on long haul NZ-Thailand flights. It seems to be almost resentment that she lives overseas, married to a farang etc etc - especially after it seems that a judgment has been made that she is not so called 'hi-so' of Thai society. Behavior in these circumstances seems to be to imagine she is invisible ! Certainly, nothing quite as bad as you have described. And for balance, she has had some excellent trips.

She very much prefers to fly SQ and NZ as, oddly enough, she has poor experiences with QANTAS as well (we all have actually). Usually, a good schedule holds priority and the direct THAI flight is very handy.

Because THAI has not released any award seats ex-BKK for Jan-Feb 10, her next award trip is on NZ and SQ ...

Cheers, and may future flights be a better experience (ขอให้คุณโชคดีกับทุกสิ่งที่คุณจะทำในวันข้างหน้ า !!)

TK
Old Apr 24, 09, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
My 2 cents on the subject...

In my experience, at least that of travelling in C or F with my Thai wife, the quality of service you will receive from TG check-in staff , lounge attendants and FA's depends only on one thing : does your wife look Hi So or not ?
By that I mean: no sexy/offensive clothes , no tatoos , fair skin color , wear a Patek Philippe or Cartier watch, carry a Louis Vuitton or Hermes bag ...
I know these are ludicrous criteria, but that's the Thai psyche. No one is going to change it.
My wife fits the above Hi So criteria and having flown with her over 15 times we have always received outstanding service from all TG staff.
Once gain I do not condone such a behavior .
Old Apr 24, 09, 8:00 pm

Programs: ROP
Well another excuse for getting more expensive bags!
Old Apr 24, 09, 9:16 pm

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
I hope the same girl is working there next week, when I fly with my Thai girlfriend in "F". She (luckily) is not "hi-so" and certainly does not look "hi-so", and we have no wish of ever being "hi-so". Heck, I will look to see if we have some "LIDL" plastic bags lying around, That is stylish hand-luggage in "F"
Old Apr 25, 09, 12:33 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
...even better, get some Big C plastic bags......
Old Apr 25, 09, 9:01 am

My wife who is Thai swears such treatment is true and that if I am not with her on the flights the service she gets is not as good. I do believe that some Thai's in some industries do treat farang and Thai people that appear to be high society types better. My wife has friends that prefer to fly airlines other than TG for this reason.

I do not believe it is very widspread to be honest but it does exist.
Old Apr 25, 09, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
A few years ago, I was waitlisted on DMK-UTH with my friend for a full flight. My LH*G was in the booking. The check-in agent very rudely handed me a boarding pass an hour later and said "seat only for you". Then proceeded to accept a hi-so looking Thai woman who just only arrived at the counter. I protested to no avail and we headed back to the city.
Old Apr 26, 09, 10:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
In agreement with others, in my experience discrimination by Thai Air staff tends to have more to do with perceived class or power than with race.
Old Apr 26, 09, 3:40 pm

I believe that I was upset the most by the fact that the representative did not accept responsibility for any of her wrongdoings.

You are Thai and surprised by her reaction? I find that surprising.
Old Apr 27, 09, 11:35 am

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles
Thai Parasite

I am not surprised by this treatment and the attitude as Thai's are very Hi-So crazy. It is just poor customer relations no matter the reason. I have considered TG for flying from LAX to BKK, but after hearing this I would much prefer to fly someone else such as EVA.

TravelGuy
Old Apr 28, 09, 1:38 am

Programs: AC *G; TG *G
Originally Posted by milpsy View Post
Hi TGflyer.

You are indeed lucky, I was not. My intention is not too judge all the whole TG company. My issue is only set to deal with this particular TG's parasite, who did refuse to give me her name, despite every customer should have rights to express thiers own opinion concerning products and services.

I recently received a prompt reply from Khun 'Lek Klinvibul', MD of TG Ground Customer Services Department, and this issue is now in process.

I wish one day TG will be again, 'once it was' to be THAI that every Thai can proud of.

Again, I do appreciate all of your comments.

Best wishes everyone,

milpsy
sorry to hear your experience.

i would say this is not only a airline industry problem, actually i find that most asian countries have similar type of people, who treat caucasian looking people better than locals.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: